Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dartmouth talk (future friends?)  (Read 3036 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Dartmouth talk (future friends?)
« on: March 03, 2004, 02:33:18 pm »

[Comment - looks like 2 people, Cathy and Jeremy, that we should work on for future contacts & publicity)

http://www.thedartmouth.com/article.php?aid=2004030201040

Tuesday, March 2, 2004
Columnist discusses religion 'culture wars'
By Kevin Garland, The Dartmouth Staff

Self-described "libertarian with a lower 'l'" and Boston Globe columnist Cathy Young discussed the "culture wars" over expression of religion in contemporary America in a speech Monday at the Rockefeller Center.

Assistant Director of Rocky Jeremy Eggleton introduced Young by mentioning that the center likes to have libertarians speak because their speeches aren't ambiguous.

"They don't decry big government, and then say you can't marry because you're gay," Eggleton said.

Young, who said she supports libertarian ideals but does not identify herself with The Libertarian Party, discussed a plethora of religion topics and their current high-profile in politics.

"Religion is certainly in the news a lot these days. There's of course 'The Passion of the Christ,'" Young said, referring to Mel Gibson's latest movie, "There's also … gay marriage which is intertwined with religion."

Giving a strong example of the divisive nature of religion and politics, Young said her "alarm bells" rang when President George Bush reacted to San Francisco's Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals' decision to declare a part of the pledge of allegiance unconstitutional.

Young refuted President George Bush's argument that "We need common-sense judges that know our rights are derived from God," and argued that the separation of church and state must be upheld.

Young discussed what she saw as two trends that have been developing over the past 20 or 30 years involving religion and the government: discrimination faced when expressing religion in public and discrimination on the part of the religions themselves, including atheism.

"What we're seeing right now is the climax of culture wars of religion ... which have been brewing for some time," Young said.

She cited the case of two valedictorians that were not allowed to speak at their graduation because they planned on referring to God.

Young noted that some people agreed with the school's decision, including a person who "didn't want to sit through the speech" if it referenced a particular god and those who argued that because graduation is an extension of a school's curriculum, religion cannot be included.

Young, however, sided with the valedictorians, in arguing that oppression of their speeches was a violation of the First Amendment, and someone personally being "annoyed" by the speech should not outlaw it.

Moving to the Pledge of Allegiance controversy, Young illustrated that a small incident could create a large conflagration. She discussed the conflict of opinion; legally the court's ruling was based on constitutional laws, but the statement, "one nation under God" was morally important to many.

"For a lot of conservatives, it's an acknowledgement or endorsement of God in the public space," Young said.

The problem arises, she said, when teachers or students who don't believe in a form of God are forced to recite the pledge.

Young] particularly singled out instructors, whom she believes are sometimes unfairly asked to lead their classes in the pledge.

Young was quick to state her opposing side's belief on the issue of religious expression being controlled by the government.

"One argument of neutrality that is made by conservatives is that the state doesn't have to be neutral in the issue of religion versus non-religion, just in the issue of religions versus each other," Young said.

She responded, "I don't see where in the First Amendment it says it's okay to rule out religion in general as long as you don't promote one over the other."

Overall, Young said the important issue to focus on is to give equality to everyone concerning the public expression of religion.

dalesd

• Don't Tread on Me.
Re:Dartmouth talk (future friends?)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 06:43:05 pm »

Cathy Young also writes for Reason magazine.  It's so bizarre to see her columns in the Boston Globe.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Strike the Root

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 11:02:33 am »

FWIW: I am going to be interviewed by a Dartmouth Review reporter this week. I need to know what FSP members are Dartmouth students, as I intend on using this interview to help launch a Dartmouth FSP group, as part of our grassroots college membership push. Dartmouth in particular has mostly non-resident students, so they can be working inside NH on our stuff while being counted as Members from other states.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

SethA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 11:19:56 am »

Mike,  Tim Condon, Member Services Director, might be able to find some info. but as you said they may be signed up through their home address and not identified as Dartmouth students. Thank you for making the effort to go up there, they are definitely a group we need to reach. One bit of trivia, Laura Ingraham, the conservative radio talk show host and author, was a Dartmouth undergrad and the first female editor of the the Review. She has fairly strong libertairan positions in a lot of areas.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 11:32:38 am »

I'd contact the Dartmouth Lib group if I wert thou, Mike.....

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

FreeBoB

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 11:47:19 am »

JM

Mike, here's a link: Libertarians@Dartmouth.edu

Dartmouth FSP speaking opportunity: http://rockefeller.dartmouth.edu/students/groups/agora.html

Brian  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 11:51:22 am by Brian Sullivan »

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 12:07:04 pm »

JM

Steve Haidar is supposed to be the leader, and is the only contact person for the Dartmouth Libs, but he has been very unresponsive of late.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up