Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article in Colorado Freedom Report  (Read 2291 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Article in Colorado Freedom Report
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:15:53 pm »

http://www.freecolorado.com/2004/02/molonlabe.html

Fairly critical of the FSP.  Someone should write a rebuttal.
Lots of facts you can refute, and lots of assumptions that Wyoming is a beter place than NH.

When I first heard of the "Free State Project," I was severely skeptical. Another hair-brained, silver-bullet, Galt's-Gulch libertopia that would never get off the ground, I thought. It took me some months to take the idea seriously at all. But Boston's Open Letter, along with his follow-up letter and now his novel, convinced me that a libertarian movement in Wyoming is quite possible. Even if the far-reaching gains Boston hopes for are never achieved, even a relatively small movement (which seems to be inevitable at this point) could achieve marginal gains easier perhaps than in any other location.

Boston has also persuaded me that the official Free State Project (FSP) will get nowhere in its choice of New Hampshire, mostly because of the relatively high population there. Indeed, I think Boston is overly generous in his analysis, for he assumes the move to New Hampshire will actually take place. By agreement, those who sign on to the FSP don't have to move until 20,000 people sign on. I would be amazed if that ever happened. (I would be amazed if even 10,000 total signed up in the next five years.) The organization's web page reports 5,477 people have signed on as of February 17, 2004. That's up from 5,441 on February 9. Go ahead and do the math assuming that rate of growth remains constant. One might argue that at some point the number of signers will mushroom, though of course we hear about such pyramid schemes daily in our spam boxes. I think it's more likely that the level of new signers will drop off over time, rather than pick up momentum. Presumably, the most interested people have already signed up, meaning every additional person will require more resources to persuade.

The FSP suffers from a free-rider problem. Even if there were 20,000 people interested in joining, the incentive is to let everybody else join and move first, then see how it's working out. Plus, it's hard to anticipate one's personal situation some years down the road, so it's easier to let other people make the commitment now. The Wyoming effort, on the other hand, does not suffer this problem. There is going to be an effort in Wyoming; the only questions are how many libertarians will move there and how much can they accomplish. There's no trigger number, so people will just move when it suits them. Even limited success, such as electing one sheriff or state representative, would encourage more movers. Indeed, even if libertarians are unable to make significant political gains, simply the fact that they're enjoying more freedom in Wyoming would attract some additional movers. My prediction is that the FSP will never gain 20,000 signers, and eventually most of the serious FSP members will go to Wyoming. Of course, any libertarian movement of any size and in any location is to be welcomed and encouraged.

cathleeninsc

Re:Article in Colorado Freedom Report
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 12:43:03 pm »

Why rebut a statement of opinion that just might be correct? I am sorry that there are those who will not be with us in NH for many reasons. It may even hinder our progress, but so will the more than a million entrenched quasi libertarian/independent types already in NH. The population IS our biggest hurdle (and thank goodness it isn't more than that!). These people have the government that they want. If I were out west I might go Wyoming, but I signed on to the FSP and there is already momentum in this direction. So NH is the state and I don't care what the number of signers is, I will go and do my best for liberty.

Cathleen in SC

Karl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:08:56 pm »

One part certainly is not true -- he claims that the FSP suffers from a  "free rider" problem, which is completely false.  There are already several early movers, and will be hundreds before the 20,000 person goal is reached.  There is already significant important work being done, and progress being made.

There is no effort in Wyoming to speak of, except in the pages of Boston T. Party's novel.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 01:09:31 pm by Karl Beisel »

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 06:37:14 am »

There is no effort in Wyoming to speak of, except in the pages of Boston T. Party's novel.

Huh?  People were moving to NH last summer, and they were moving to Wyoming also.  They are still moving there (although in small numbers) and there are lots of internet groups trying to get more people to move to WY.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 08:41:52 pm »

yes, article has some false assumption and the 'free rider' problem is one of these:

there is already movements to enact the 'freeing' of particular low-population towns which will set the stage for 'showing' that the Free State Project can effect change in the entire state... the 'Free rider' problem is already solved because there is sufficient folk who are willing to take the leap and 'prove' to the 'riders' that it can and does work.
nothing to say...
Pages: [1]   Go Up