Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brainstorming website to advertise at...  (Read 5767 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Brainstorming website to advertise at...
« on: February 07, 2004, 05:11:12 am »

Ok, in a little over 1 day, the fark banner has already generated 150+ hits.
I don't know how many signups that's translated to, but heck, it's only the first day.

Got me thinking about other places that similarly placed ads/banners/etc would be most likely to get wide attention from a demographic that is FSP inclined.

Please contribute to the brainstorm   ::) :P ;D, and then to the pledging to pay for a test run of these... or others you suggest

Places:

Metafilter http://www.metafilter.com  $1 per 1000 text impressions (They guesstimate $10 for 2 weeks worth).
Pro - cheap.  Con - demographic?  Not popular enough?

Kuro5hin http://www.kuro5hin.org  Also $1 per 1000 text ads
Pro - cheap  Con - demographic?

Google - I'm against this because google already comes up with FSP for lots of related searches, and why spend more?  Convince me I'm wrong?

Slashdot - too expensive.

Where else do YOU visit?, since we'll assume that if you list your favorites spots, we'll find like minded people there.   ???

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
Re:Brainstorming website to advertise at...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 09:42:34 am »

I've been to fark a bunch of times and I can't find the banner ad - I keep hitting "refresh" but to no avail.  Is it the banner ad at the top of the main page?

creditwrench

• I am a bill collector's worst nightmare.
    • Creditwrench
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 10:04:38 am »

I've got links from some of my blogs to the FSP and so I'm sure you are getting at least a few hits from my blogs.

How about a free way to advertise that gets great results?

I'm getting about 18,000 hits a month and this method contributes a huge percentacge of those hits.

All you have to do is to go to THIS WEBSITE and sign up for that program. Its absolutely free and all you have to do is to install their little program and set up your screen saver and let it run when you are not using your computer.  You can set it up to bring visitors to whatever website or blog or forum you want to use it on. I'm running 7 computers full time doing nothing but running that program and it does wonders for me

The way I set it up was to do the first computer and once I had it up and running I went right back to the same website and signed up the second computer and kept that up until I had all 7 running the program and each one using a different email address and advertising a different webpage or blog.  And of course, all of them have links pointing to my other websites and blogs.  So visitors to any of them get exposure to the others.

Doing it exactly that way helps build the number of page exposures each computer gets because it works like an MLM program where a percentage of what one does goes to the one above it so that all computers are not only running their own program but helping the ones above it get more page views as well.

Lots of major companies are using the method too and even Google advertises on it.  It works for them or they wouldn't be doing it and it works for me too.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 10:43:28 am by creditwrench »

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 01:50:18 pm »

I think advertising on Marijuana.com would be a great way to increase interest in us from the pot-smoking crowd. It'd work really well too, because Marijuana.com is becoming more of an activist site now.

They're already at least somewhat friendly with our cause. They've listed FSP related news stories a couple of times and I've started threads about the FSP in the forums there a couple of times as wel.
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:37:39 pm »

Except:

Advertise on Marijuana.Com!

Sorry, we are not currently accepting new advertisers.

I think advertising on Marijuana.com would be a great way to increase interest in us from the pot-smoking crowd. It'd work really well too, because Marijuana.com is becoming more of an activist site now.

They're already at least somewhat friendly with our cause. They've listed FSP related news stories a couple of times and I've started threads about the FSP in the forums there a couple of times as wel.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 03:42:22 pm »

I've got links from some of my blogs to the FSP and so I'm sure you are getting at least a few hits from my blogs.

Actually, the big problem is that your link to the banner is counted as a hit, so it highly inflates the hitcount from your site.

Could you please grab a local (to you) copy of the banner? (which would help, since when I visited the link was broken anyway), and then we'll see only true "hits" from your site.  Right now, your site is one of the top hits, along with phonebook.com but both of us are being counted due to each page load of YOUR site, since it grabs the banner from the FSP site.

As for the banner screensaver thing, if people want to give that a try, go for it, but I'm looking for more concrete sites to advertise on, not a banner network (which is unfocused advertising).

Seth

creditwrench

• Creditwrench
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 08:29:31 pm »

Actually it can be focused or targeted to 21 different categories of potential viewers. Take your choice. That is why I have 7 machines on their system now.  I can focus to any of the 21 categories I want.

I don't really know how much more you want to focus it, but no matter how focused or good it might be there are always going to be some shortcomings somewhere.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
Additional places added to brainstorm
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 10:22:01 pm »

Something Awful: http://somethingawful.com/
$30 for one banner / per month
over 700,000 pages a day to over 55,000 unique IPs

http://freerepublic.com/
Seems to take not take ads, BUT someone should approach them cause a ad banner here would totally fit the existing mix, and FSP truly fits the demographic of the site.

http://www.rightwingnews.com/
A good deal, but sold out right now... should be approached.

Drudge
Seems expensive (have to ask for a rate card)
http://www.drudgereport.com/

patriot32

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 07:18:13 pm »

Here is one we might consider. They take banner ads and seem to have the ideological demographic that we are looking for.

World Net Daily
A Free Press for A Free People
http://www.wnd.com

Here are some stats I gleaned from their advertising page
Web News
Site
Avg Time
Spent
Per User

Unique
Visitors

40 million
Monthly
Page Views

penguinsscareme

• FSP Participant
  • Ain't nobody's business but mine
    • Free State Project/self-sufficiency living liaison
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 09:04:21 pm »

Hey, here's an idea I just had a little while ago and I'm so impressed with myself I just have to throw it out there.  Ready to be amazed?  Okay.  Here it is:

Write the web address for the fsp on all your cash.  If you just take a minute during your lunch, or whatever, pull out that sweaty wad of bills and write freestateproject.org legibly each bill, man, our exposure can't help but increase!  Okay, and what's the downside?  Honestly, I can't see one, except that it's a pain to actually do it.  But look at the upside -- it spreads to every corner of society, it happens naturally every time we pay cash for anything, it DOESN'T COST ANYTHING TO DO, it's super low-tech, and it's only limited by how much money you conduct.
Oh, man, I love this idea so much I'm going to have someone make me a rubber stamp and just start defacing currency!
Liberty in our lifetime, baby!!

Andrew
Stamp freestateproject.org on your cash!  Stamp & inkpad run less than $10 & it's the single most effective and easy thing you can do for the fsp.  And it's legal, just don't obscure the serial #.  www.currentlabels.com

creditwrench

• Creditwrench
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 09:20:42 pm »

Yep. That ought to get it done. If they don't throw you in jail for defacing the currency that is.

Unless I am sadly mistaken there is a federal law against defacing the currency.

penguinsscareme

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 09:24:44 pm »

It's a textbook victimless crime.  C'mon, it's what all the cool kids are doing.
Stamp freestateproject.org on your cash!  Stamp & inkpad run less than $10 & it's the single most effective and easy thing you can do for the fsp.  And it's legal, just don't obscure the serial #.  www.currentlabels.com

FreeBoB

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 09:28:13 pm »

if you use a fine point permanent marker it will be readable longer (ink smudges)   8)

penguinsscareme

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 09:31:30 pm »

The law defines 'illegal' defacement as defacement that renders bills unfit to be re-issued.

I got that from wheresgeorge.com.  Ya pansy.

Andrew

creditwrench

• Creditwrench
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 09:40:17 pm »

pansy?

Ok snapy

LOL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything