Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check your antifreeze!  (Read 1931 times)

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
Check your antifreeze!
« on: January 16, 2004, 03:44:22 pm »

The things we learn when we move from sunny California to New England...

Did you know that you should check the antifreeze in your hydronic heating system regularly?

We're house-sitting for Caren's parents, and the last few nights of 17 to 23 degrees below zero plus roaring winds here in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts froze up the heating-fluid piping for the upstairs air handler, disabling the upstairs heat.

I thawed it out yesterday and got it back online, but it froze again last night and this time I wasn't quite so lucky as before:

Can you hear the flutter of dollar bills fleeing my in-laws' wallet?

The heating contractor said they usually use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze, good down to 10 below for a week.  Needless to say, they've revised that thinking in the wake of the flurry of frozen hydronic systems they've had the last couple of days.

Fortunately the downstairs zones work, and there's a fireplace, and fortunately we were here house-sitting in order to take care of it.  I shudder to think of what would have happened had that hole thawed out during the day and then drained out the heating fluid into the upstairs ceiling, disabling both the heat and the hot water heater...  *shudder*

So check your antifreeze!!
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up