Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Drinking In The States  (Read 9108 times)

5pectre

• FSP Participant
  • terrorism is the symptom not the disease -1.5/-7.7
    • home
Drinking In The States
« on: January 15, 2004, 05:15:47 am »

Hey,

I'm a 20 year old Software Engineer from England, currently working in Ireland.

In march I will be moving to TN to work for 3 months for a freedom charity (www.freedom.org). Now, I've been told that I won't be able to drink in pubs/bars. Is this true? I've been drinking in pubs since I was 17 and from offlicenses since I was 15.

Will I really have trouble? Do you guys have any suggestions for getting around this "law" ?

Also, I understand it was introduced by Reagan and that any state that didn't up the drinking age to 21 didn't receive federal highway funds or something, is this true, false or a bit of both?

Furthermore can you recommend any good beers? Because to be honest the American beer that we get in the UK/Ireland is piss (American Budweiser, Miller, etc.) I like Guinness (obviously ;), Smithwicks (kind of an ale), Grolsch (dutch lager) and pretty much anything German (Erdinger, Franziskaner etc)

5pectre

• FSP Participant
    • home
Re:Drinking In The States
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 10:16:22 am »

Yes, unfortunately, that is all true.  However, it is usually easy to find a bar that doesn't ask for your identification.  If they do ask, just say you forgot it, and if they won't serve you, try another bar.

Cool, I want to get a picture of me showing a guy my passport and him refusing to serve me at least once, my friends back home will have a laugh off that! :)

My standby is Samuel Adams Lager, which most places I frequent have.  Also, its easy to find Guinness, Bass, Heiniken, and other European beers.  Local microbrews are also very common.  Budweiser and Miller isn't beer as far as I'm concerned.

Cool, Heineken is pretty shit, I'm glad you agree on the American Budweiser / Miller thing, its a shame you don't export any of the good beers ;) I'll have a look into it.

Also, I hear from a friend in NH that if you go into an off license the whole group gets asked for ID not just the guy whos buying, is this common?

snoogs

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 09:42:58 pm »

Unfortunately, there is no *legal* way around the law.  If all else fails, you can still do what many thousands of US teenagers have done in the past:  find a person who can legally buy alcohol, and pay them a few bucks to go into a store and get you some.

5pectre

• FSP Participant
    • home
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 06:22:19 am »

Heh, it'll make me feel 14 again :)

BillG

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 06:44:15 am »

Hey,

In march I will be moving to TN to work for 3 months for a freedom charity (www.freedom.org). Now, I've been told that I won't be able to drink in pubs/bars. Is this true? I've been drinking in pubs since I was 17 and from offlicenses since I was 15.

Will I really have trouble? Do you guys have any suggestions for getting around this "law" ?

Also, I understand it was introduced by Reagan and that any state that didn't up the drinking age to 21 didn't receive federal highway funds or something, is this true, false or a bit of both?

Furthermore can you recommend any good beers? Because to be honest the American beer that we get in the UK/Ireland is piss (American Budweiser, Miller, etc.) I like Guinness (obviously ;), Smithwicks (kind of an ale), Grolsch (dutch lager) and pretty much anything German (Erdinger, Franziskaner etc)

we do have Smuttynose brewery here in NH...

http://www.smuttynose.com/

5pectre

• FSP Participant
    • home
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 08:14:22 am »

Mmmmmm, Pale Ale :)

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 10:15:35 am »

I'm over 21, so moderators I promise not to linger.  I just wanted to stop by and let the 18-21 demographic know that our drinking age disparity is an issue that is best protested by your age group.  For those of you in New Hampshire, members of the FSP, NHLA, and state LP will be more than ready to help you out in whatever way possible, supporting the cause.

Think about our emancipation age logic in this country.  You can fight and die for your country the moment you turn 18, but you're considered too foolhardy to handle a little alcohol.  In Europe, teenagers regularly are served liquor and there's less of an alcohol problem!  Perhaps we'll decide to raise the voting age to 21, but then it'll be too late...

Back in the 70s the federal government did a very reprehensible thing.  It got all the states to raise their drinking ages, not through genuine discourse, but through blackmail in the form of state highway funding.  If the states didn't tow the line they didn't get any cash for their roads.  Naturally, there was little resistance and a decade later everybody was playing by Washington's rules.

Of course we all know that alcohol prohibition doesn't exactly work.  It's still easy to get beer, and most 18 year olds hang out with at least one 21 year old anyway.  So this issue is more nuisance than nemesis.  But it's an issue whose time has come and moreso it's an issue that New Hampshire has the power to deal with (I *think* the drinking age is still state by state and held in place by the same funding that put it in place).  If NH has the power to change things, then this will be an ideal issue for early Porcupine movers to take action on.

The 18-21 year old demographic can really carve out a niche in the FSP with this issue.  NH has plenty of campuses to saturate.  Plenty of opportunity to do "Voter Registration/Lower the Drinking Age" booths.  Good luck, and godspeed.

ShrineGuard

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 02:32:44 pm »

Just as a little tidbit of sorts, Louisiana was, if I am not mistaken, the last state to capitulate to the blackmail.  Their idea was that by making Louisiana (and of course New Orleans) have a drinking age at 18, the money from increased tourism would help the state compensate for the highway money.

Didn't work because 18-21 year olds have to be the single worst age demographic for getting tourisim money.  Ten people to a hotel room, minimum ;).

Darkoon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 04:09:13 pm »

I think it should be lowed. I mean ppl can get it eather wway but being in the bars with your friends would be nice too.  I cant wait to get up there we are going to shake this thing up...leagulize this lower that..Oh ya have any of you heard about the stupid gambling law..on my 18th bday i went to a cosino with my mom.. then in dec of 2003 i went to buy a ticket and they said it got changed to 21...how messed is that...now you have to be 21 to win mone..and the same with free trips..now you have to be 21 to go to a hotel..gosh our goverment is messing my kid future up and it is time to change it...ty

Tiffany Barker..in AZ see you all up there when i can find a place to bunk with my family

celestialcircle

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 12:37:29 am »

I am sure that this issue would muster support from those under 21 already living in new hampshire.  if you were comming here (iowa), i can garuntee all my friends' support.

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 10:07:43 am »

You'd think that since all 18-21 year olds can vote, the drinking age would have already been lowered. But the problem is getting the issue on the ballet and getting a lot of the 18-21 year olds to vote on it. A lot of them don't really seem to care. I gave a persuasive speech on lowering the drinking age to 18 in speech class and the general reaction was "I don't mind me drinking but what about those other idiots out there?" and "I'm already over 21. I don't see why the rules should be changed for someone else." Another guy gave a speech on the same topic, the reaction was basically the same.
People just don't trust anyone else nowadays. Sad, sad, sad.
Maybe that'll get changed in NH. They're already not getting highway money because they don't have a seatbelt law.
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

jenn_dorsett

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Drinking In The States
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 06:52:16 pm »

Yeah, this "You can vote, heck you can even fight and die for us...wait, you want a glass of beer to take the edge off that facsist pres.?  I don't think so!" is pretty, well, stupid.  I myself, used to be a waitress in an alcohol-serving establishment.  Speaking from experience, I would serve a non-citizen alcohol if they were 18.  But promise you won't kill anybody, ok?

NH has awesome local breweries! ;D

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 11:42:13 pm »

Hey,

SOME American Microbrews are OK but the big brands are unfit for cockroaches.  Our Guiness is said to be better than that served in Ireland as it's not taxed by volume of alcohol like in Ireland so they are free to make it as strong as originally intended.

If you get the chance, try Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing Company.  It's best on tap.  It's illegal here in Oklahoma because the Christian Coalition is evil.  When ever I leave the state I get several cases and if I'm lucky I get to keep a 6 pack for myself as it is highly coveted.

Kansas City has a good brewery called Boulevard Brewery, It's available in all the surrounding states and might have made it to TN.  Beware the dry county however, they have those in TN too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 11:56:25 pm by Roycerson »
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 02:00:44 pm »

I well remember when it first became legal to drink at age 18 in New Hampshire.  June 3rd, 1973.  Of course I didn't get to legally celebrate my 18th with a six-pack, as I turned 18 several days before that on May 26th.  (I celebrated it with an illegal six-pack procured by a friend).  But it was legal in plenty of time for the pre-graduation parties.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

pm

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 10:04:13 pm »

I am sure that this issue would muster support from those under 21 already living in new hampshire.  if you were comming here (iowa), i can garuntee all my friends' support.
I think you'll get more support than that.  I'm from NH, and everyone I know thinks the current law is hypocritical, no matter what age they are.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything