Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Emissions Standards?  (Read 3290 times)

Searching4Freedom

• I'm a llama!
Car Emissions Standards?
« on: September 30, 2002, 06:16:37 pm »

Hi.  I recently found this site, and I must say I am very interested in learning more.  A quick question.

In the chosen free state, assuming it has rather 'green' regulations, would existing vehicle exhaust emission standards be left in place, altered, or abolished.

Searching4Freedom

• I'm a llama!
Re:Car Emissions Standards?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2002, 07:29:18 pm »

Thank you for the link.  I saw your post about emissions, very informative.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2002, 08:24:09 pm »

Personally, I would say that pollution can be a violation of people's rights and thus can potentially be regulated by government.  I think a flexible system of regulation is best, in which the state determines targets for air pollution, taking primarily the ill health effects into consideration, and develops a system of vehicle and industrial emissions regulation to meet these targets.  As far as industrial emissions are concerned, tradeable permits sound like a good idea, letting industries choose the particular methods by which they reduce emissions.  Tradeable permits make less sense with vehicle emissions; instead, some kind of absolute per-vehicle cap is probably necessary.  However, the cost for doing an emissions test should be reasonable and should cover the costs to the government of running the test, nothing more.  The costs of implementing the technology to eliminate emissions are already present in the purchase price of the vehicle.

I would oppose, by the way, any regulation at all of carbon dioxide emissions, as carbon dioxide is not harmful, and the evidence that it causes harmful global warming is tenuous.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

FinanceStudent

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2002, 09:49:23 pm »

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Libertarian/The_Swedes.html
is a pretty interesting link related to externalities like pollution.

He is saying that in some cases the efficient solution is found through well defined property rights instead of government intervention.

Let a road-owner be responsible for the air and noise pollution in a certain perimeter around his road.  He will pay people nearby for invading  their space, and he will pass these costs on to motorists.  Somehow this should strike the efficient balance between comuters and those breathing their exhaust.  That is, if someone more creative than me can reduce the transaction costs.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything