Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposed changes to the Home Education Rules  (Read 4638 times)

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
Proposed changes to the Home Education Rules
« on: December 04, 2003, 10:33:19 am »

I just got this from one of the NH HS lists I subbed to.

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:56:38 -0500
To: nhhr-politics <nhhr-politics@as2.dimentech.com>
Subject: NHHR-POLITICS: Changes to the Home Education Rules
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (Win98; I)
From diana  Thu Dec  4 05:08:11 2003

I'm so sorry to take so long in posting this.

Proposed changes were submitted to the Home Education Advisory Council
at its last meeting (11/18/03). This page explains the process by which
they are being updated, and points to a copy of the proposed changes:

http://www.empire.net/~beaverlodge/rules/Ed315_rules_revision.html

The next HEAC meeting is Tuesday, 12/9/03, 3:30-5:00, Room 15,
Department of Education in Concord. Discussion of the proposed changes
is expected to take up most of the meeting. The public cannot comment
during the meeting, but it can be fascinating and informative to watch
the deliberative process. I urge anyone who has an interest to attend
this meeting.

Chris Hamilton
Beaver Lodge Homeschool

This doesn't change the law, just the way the Board of Education implements them. What is there is a description of what the evaluation must include, which is more than a simple statement that progress has been made.

Just thought y'all would like to know about this.

Diana

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
Re:Proposed changes to the Home Education Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 12:57:51 pm »

Look, ma!  Backwards progress!

I'm still searching the laws and text for the punishment for NOT registering my home school.  Clearly I'm terrified of the state attempting to remove my child from my custody (can you say, "Ruby Ridge standoff"), but if there's simply monetary fines, I'm in.

I find section 193:7
193:7 Penalty. – Any person who does not comply with the requirements of this subdivision shall be guilty of a violation and any fines collected hereunder shall be for the use of the district.

I have searched all over for what a "violation" is, but no dice.  Anyone know more about this one?  I'll fight fines, etc., in court, so long as they don't try to kidnap the children.

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 01:02:57 pm »

Whew.  An hour of searching, and I've got it:

625:9 Classification of Crimes
II. Every offense is either a felony, misdemeanor or violation.
       (a) Felonies and misdemeanors are crimes.
       (b) A violation does not constitute a crime and conviction of a violation shall not give rise to any disability or legal disadvantage based on conviction of a criminal offense.

Interesting.  Gee, I'm not advocating wrong here, but there may be some nice civil disobedience potential here...

NuclearDruid

• TANSTAAFL
    • The Colonization Too Project
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 01:40:44 pm »

Whew.  An hour of searching, and I've got it:

625:9 Classification of Crimes
II. Every offense is either a felony, misdemeanor or violation.
       (a) Felonies and misdemeanors are crimes.
       (b) A violation does not constitute a crime and conviction of a violation shall not give rise to any disability or legal disadvantage based on conviction of a criminal offense.

Interesting.  Gee, I'm not advocating wrong here, but there may be some nice civil disobedience potential here...

You don't even have to go that far. The statute limits the definition a "child" only to a minor that is a legal resident of NH. When you move to the state just arrange it so that your children maintain a residency tie to another state. For divorcees with an amicable (and trustworthy) ex-spouse that would be a slam dunk. Otherwise you might try to come up with some creative guardianship agreement that specifies legal residency. If it's set up to be legal in the state of residence than it would have to recognized by NH.
"Responsibility is a unique concept. It can only reside and inhere in a single individual. You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you. You may disclaim it, but you cannot divest yourself of it." - Admiral Hyman Rickover

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 07:45:49 am »

Interesting idea.  However, I'm wanting to take this where I can challenge the current laws.  In other words, I'll move to NH and start homeschooling and when they tell me I can't without following the rules, I'll be able to challenge their rules.  And if there's others who will similarly challenge them, there could be too many for the state to prosecute (if they would even do that).

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 01:38:36 am »

I haven't yet decided my strategy but am considering all the alternatives.  Between now and the time my oldest is 6, I believe it would be best for my family to pursue total deregulation of homeschooling.  I am, however, not terribly interested in submitting my kids to the NH procedure.  If nothing else, it'd be good marketing to point out that NH's homeschool law is *worse* than California's (at the moment, anyway).  Yuck.

If the law really is written such that violation only results in a fine, that might be a nifty alternative, but we do really need to just get the whole thing fixed...

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 07:36:30 am »

Certainly, fixing it all is my end goal.

Right now, I have one who is 5 and one age 3.  I want neither to see the public school system in NH.  I figure by disobeying the unlawful law, I can challenge the system.  Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy, so I'll have trouble in the court systems.  I'm hoping that I can either effectively challenge the law on my own, or I can get aid from one of the homeschool defense groups.  When the move gets closer, I'll contact some of them to see if they're interested in the non-compliance strategy to initiate change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up