Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move after finding a job?  (Read 5936 times)

Jim1

Move after finding a job?
« on: September 22, 2002, 06:51:10 pm »

If I had to move today, I would not be able to do so until after I had found a job in the chosen state. Therefore, I do not feel comfortable committing to the move.

Perhaps a clause should be added that a member would not have to move until it became financially feasible.

Victor VI

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a unicorn! Wanna play leap-frog?
Re:Move after finding a job?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 07:48:06 pm »

If I had to move today, I would not be able to do so until after I had found a job in the chosen state. Therefore, I do not feel comfortable committing to the move.

I'm in the same situation. I've decided to wait until the state has been chosen and then see if I can find a job there before I commit.

I do have another item of concern there - a fairly large number of FSP members seem to be in the computer industry in one capacity or another.  So we can assume competition for jobs in the tech field is going to be very tough indeed.

It brings to mind the joke about the Libertarian Party being 12 guys selling pamplets to each other - I'm starting to get the feeling the economy of the free state is going to be 20,000 programmers selling software to each other.  ;)
I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.
--Grover Norquist

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 06:39:12 am »

I do have another item of concern there - a fairly large number of FSP members seem to be in the computer industry in one capacity or another.  

This reminds me to ask the gang (probably in the wrong thread): who here is active at slashdot.org?  We should be tapping the large number of technolibertarians.  Remember one of the recruiting strategies suggested earlier: post in libertarian-sympathetic discussion forums, always slipping in a mention of the FSP.

So we can assume competition for jobs in the tech field is going to be very tough indeed.

If you are a lump-of-labor pessimist.  I prefer to think that we would assemble the critical mass to form a technology cluster, especially if there is a university nearby.  That is one reason why I prefer New Hampshire, which is close to Boston-Cambridge.  If we can reduce corporate taxes, we will be able to compete with Ireland, and more American companies will relocate to us.

maestro

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 01:38:56 pm »

I do have another item of concern there - a fairly large number of FSP members seem to be in the computer industry in one capacity or another.  So we can assume competition for jobs in the tech field is going to be very tough indeed.

It brings to mind the joke about the Libertarian Party being 12 guys selling pamplets to each other - I'm starting to get the feeling the economy of the free state is going to be 20,000 programmers selling software to each other.  ;)

My guess would be that among the programmers and other computer people, at least a few are entrepreneurs.  Those will _create_ jobs, not compete for them.  And given market forces, if there is none who think they are entrepreneurs now, some will spontaneously erupt (its more a matter of commitment than talent) if the labor supply is large enough.  The products created can be sold to other FSPers and to the "outside world."

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 01:54:25 pm »

We recently got a cluster of people joining who said they heard about us on a slashdot forum.  Most of the people on slashdot seem to be anti-corporate and pro-government, but there are some libertarian sorts there as well.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

cheselka

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 02:12:39 pm »

My guess would be that among the programmers and other computer people, at least a few are entrepreneurs.  Those will _create_ jobs, not compete for them.  And given market forces, if there is none who think they are entrepreneurs now, some will spontaneously erupt (its more a matter of commitment than talent) if the labor supply is large enough.  The products created can be sold to other FSPers and to the "outside world."

Your guess is a good one.  I for one own and run three software companies, two of which will probably require at least a few employees within the next coupla years.

Living in rural Arizona the past five years, I've learned that the only way to really keep your head above the water (and in fact prosper) is to have an entrepreneurial attitude.  I always wondered what people did in small towns or in rural areas -- well, now I know -- they create their own work and making a decent living at it.

I'd guess that people living in a Free State would need to have the ability to create their own work and not be totally reliant on others in that way.

Back to work,

Matt

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 02:50:23 pm »

Jason P. Sorens wrote:
We recently got a cluster of people joining who said they heard about us on a slashdot forum.

Interesting, because quite recently (like last week) I made two posts there.  How many were in the cluster?

Victor VI

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a unicorn! Wanna play leap-frog?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 04:45:58 pm »

author=MouseBorg
Of course, we could end up out Sunnyvaleing Sunnyvale.  :)

I can see the bums on the street corners now... "Gotta spare ram chip mister?"

That's not really so far fetched - techies tend to be a rather libertarian lot by definition. It wouldn't be a surprise to see a mass-migration to a free state.

author=Steve
This reminds me to ask the gang (probably in the wrong thread): who here is active at slashdot.org?  We should be tapping the large number of technolibertarians.  Remember one of the recruiting strategies suggested earlier: post in libertarian-sympathetic discussion forums, always slipping in a mention of the FSP.

I've been putting a link to the FSP in my sig for a while now. I suspect it's attracted a few people (and apparently, at least one troll, unfortunately), but I have no way of knowing for sure. A few years ago, Slashdot was populated primarily by libertarian types, but unfortunately, as it's gained popularity it has leaned increasingly to the left. I suspect my link to the FSP was responsible for a few of my comments being moded down to the Seventh Circle of Hell.  >:(
I don't really participate there that much anymore.

author=Steve
If you are a lump-of-labor pessimist.  I prefer to think that we would assemble the critical mass to form a technology cluster, especially if there is a university nearby.  

I'm not pessimistic. I fully expect new industry to spontaniously generate, and I have some ambitions in that respect myself. But realisticly, it takes some time to get a new business established. It would be nice to be able to afford food and shelter in the meantime.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2002, 04:47:43 pm by Victor VI »
I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.
--Grover Norquist

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 05:29:12 pm »

Jason P. Sorens wrote:
We recently got a cluster of people joining who said they heard about us on a slashdot forum.

Interesting, because quite recently (like last week) I made two posts there.  How many were in the cluster?

Four or five...depending on if you include the guy who signed up as a friend and said he heard about us from your personally: I don't know if that was on Slashdot or through some other medium.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 05:30:26 pm »

Perhaps a clause should be added that a member would not have to move until it became financially feasible.

Well, we do have a clause saying that you have 5 years to move once we reach 20K.  I should certainly hope that would be long enough time for most people to find a job!  It may depend on choosing the right state, however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up