Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Going to NH to look at houses TOMORROW  (Read 5396 times)

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Going to NH to look at houses TOMORROW
« on: November 18, 2003, 07:29:09 pm »

;D Wish us luck!  ;D

It was sort of a spur-of-the-moment thing, but my wife finally got a few days off and I'm shifting my schedule around.  We'll be looking around the Berlin/Gorham area for the most part, but will probably stop in a few other cities on the way up.

At this point, I just want to get a flavor of the area.  I like the fact that there are plenty of houses in the $50K-$75K range in the Berlin/Gorham area.  That's about what a downpayment would be in New Jersey.

Will report back on anything interesting that happens.  ;D

Chris

FreeBoB

Re:Going to NH to look at houses TOMORROW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 07:32:02 pm »

Have a great time and Good Luck!  I look forward to doing the same soon...maybe over Chistmas.
Brian

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 02:51:04 am »

Just got back.  exhausted.

Here's a brief synopsis:

People: very very nice.
very safe area, people don't even lock their doors

Berlin :
1) houses are cheap, but most need work
2) stinks really bad because of the mill
3) roadrunner cable internet available in about a month

Gorham:
1) houses a little more than berlin, but most need work
2) doesn't stink quite as bad as berlin
3) library is nice.  has slow-as-snail-snot public internet access, but better than nothing

Area: absolutely beautiful and scenic.  I thought I was in a scene from "Lord of the Rings" or something.  Not as rural as I thought.  People actually do live there.  It reminded me of parts of southern New Jersey, except there were mountains.

Jobs: Not many jobs, from what I've been told, but a good place to start an eBay business once the cable internet is available.  You just have to be able to deal with the stink from the mill.  

Of course, people bellyache about no jobs everywhere, so take it for what it's worth.

time for bed.  11+ hours on the road and i'm beat.

later
Chris
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 02:53:06 am by thegotoguy »

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 07:01:45 am »

what does the mill smell like?

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 10:37:24 am »

it smells like a sulfur/wood pulp mixture.

it's hard to explain, but it's pretty bad.
Also, it was rainy & cold when we went there.
It probably gets much worse in the summer time.

It's funny because when we were coming home through northern NJ/NYC, the smell bothered us, too.
(from the airports, factories, etc).  We don't get that smell in southern NJ, so we're not used to it.
The difference is that crime is high, houses cost $400,000, and people are sandwiched in like sardines.  

At least you get a cheap house out of the deal in Berlin.

Incidentally, it's pronounced BERlin (emphasis on the first sylable) rather than BerLIN (like in Germany).  I didn't know that until I got to talking to people up there.

FreeBoB

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 01:12:27 pm »

Hey GoTo -
Did you tell the people, real estate agent or others that you were a FSP relocator?  What was the reaction?
Brian

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 02:05:51 pm »

I didn't get into it with most people because I was too freakin' tired after all that driving and I didn't feel like getting "into it" with anyone if they weren't too friendly to the idea.

I did talk to the real estate agent a bit.  We started talking politics, and I told him I was a Libertarian.  I think he also noticed the FSP bumper sticker in the back window of my truck (along with New Jersey tags).

He told me he was a Republican, but he was of the same mindset as Gov. Benson (i.e., "Sure, come up!  We'd love to have you").  He was very nice.  I told him I would vote for Republicans when I thought they'd actually shrink government.  I also told him I liked many of the things Gov. Benson was doing.  He seemed very receptive, but then again he was trying to sell me a house.

It seems like a very conservative area, but and most people mind their own business.  He told me stories of people running enterprises out of their houses without the neighbors minding a bit.  However, again, he was trying to sell me a house.  So, take it for what it's worth.

Will gladly answer any more questions, but I have to get to work right now.

later
Chris

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 04:38:05 pm »

I'm pretty familiar with the Berlin area. The stink was probably worse with the weather as it is, trapping mill vapor in the valley. When the winds pass through, typically it isn't noticable on the west side of the river unless the wind changes, and I know that people who live there just lose any sense that it is there over time.

I recall when I was a kid passing through Berlin on my way to the family hunting camp up north of Errol. This was the 1970's, the river was orange with foam on top, the mill spewed orange smoke, and you could smell the town from ten miles away... today things are much improved.

This being said, I recommend the Lancaster/Groveton area over Berlin/Gorham.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 05:08:14 pm »

Mike,

Thanks for the info - I'll check out the area you mentioned.

In northern NH, when it snows, do you get snowed in for weeks at a time or do the roads get plowed reasonably quickly?

The reason I ask is because my dad knew some people who lived in the mountains in Pennsylvania.  They said they used to get snowed in for 2 or 3 weeks at a time when the snow was really bad.  Of course, this was 20 years ago, but it's worth asking.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 05:08:29 pm by thegotoguy »

svillee

• Friend of the FSP
  • I favor a constitutional plutocracy.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 06:55:12 pm »

I just bought a house in Berlin.  I'm really excited about the move, currently scheduled for December 16.

For me, the smokestack smell was most noticeable in the eastern part of town.  Naturally, that was the area where houses were cheapest.  Most of them would indeed require some work.  But if you're a handyman (and don't mind the smell), you can pick up a real bargain.

I ended up buying a house in the northern part of town, near the hospital.  This is clearly a newer neighborhood, dating from the 1950s rather than the 1910s.  I didn't notice any smell here.  There's a nice little park near the river, with tennis courts.  The house itself has been very well maintained, ready for immediate move-in.  Price was in the high $50s.

Lancaster looked very nice, but then the house prices are a bit higher there.

I posted a diary entry on K5 about moving to NH:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/11/16/2339/6517

Good luck with your move.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 07:19:17 pm »

Mike,

Thanks for the info - I'll check out the area you mentioned.

In northern NH, when it snows, do you get snowed in for weeks at a time or do the roads get plowed reasonably quickly?

New Hampshire is well equipped all over the state for snowfall, PLUS plow drivers are on call 24-7, which is markedly UNLIKE Vermont, which has govt rules against plowing before 5 am or after 11pm. That 6 hour gap leads to significant road problems in VT when NH roads are free and clear. Gov. Howard Dean instituted this gap to save money that he funnelled into his socialized medicine program. Result: Road deaths in VT as a result of health care spending...

Snow is never a real problem here, we can handle that. The real storms that get us are the ice storms, which we had a baddie 5 years ago that knocked down trees and power poles all over the state. A few areas like New London had powerlines down over the roads for weeks and were off limits to traffic. Storms like that just can't be prepared for outside of keeping a generator and supplies on hand.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Jhogun

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 01:06:42 pm »

That's kind of like rotten eggs, right?
Diligentia Vis Celeritas

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 01:48:36 pm »

That's kind of like rotten eggs, right?
Yes, kinda.  As others have mentioned, it's not as bad in certain parts of the city as others.

Other than that, the area is great.  The people are very very nice.  It's safe.  People don't even lock their doors.  Everybody's packin' heat and nobody cares.  (o.k., maybe I'm exaggerating just a little, but I'm from New Jersey, so seeing ANYONE with guns around here is a rarity.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 01:49:12 pm by thegotoguy »

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 09:10:37 pm »

I just bought a house in Berlin.  I'm really excited about the move, currently scheduled for December 16.

How exciting! Good luck!

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 04:41:27 pm »

Fantastic!

My mother is from Berlin, NY. They also promonce it BERlin.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up