Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gary North on anti-schools.  (Read 7590 times)

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
  • Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups
Re:Gary North on anti-schools.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 12:57:45 am »

In the same way that our Montessori school is private and rents space from a church, we could rent space from a library.  My private moms group rented space from the library for meetings.  I am not talking about re-working libraries to be private ....oh but if we could... :)

Let's keep thinking folks!
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand

The Plano Texan

Re:Gary North on anti-schools.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 11:14:27 am »

The curriculum referred to by Mr. Kozel (Accelerated Christian Education or ACE) is definitely a Biblically based curriculum, BUT...

Much of the curriculum -- math, history, english, spelling, phonics -- is NOT based on a religious theme (about the only math you can really learn from the Bible is "2 wrongs don't make a right").  The science portion (specifically how we got here) is primarily creation based but briefly discusses evolution more in a manner of comparison.  Not only am I familiar with the curriculum, I grew up in it in more ways than one.  This does not mean I agree with everything in the curriculum -- I studied evolution, religion, philosophy and more on my own after growing up in ACE.  My father worked at ACE for several years while it was still based in Garland, Texas before it moved to Florida.  I can personally recommend the ACE program to anyone who wants to teach their children from a Christian perspective.  I, personally, would leave out some of the curriculum, but I can recommend most of it to everyone regardless of the perspective you want your children to learn from.  The curriculum was originally developed in 1970 and I was started in it in 1975 as a 5-year-old.

As the curriculum states, it can be very accelerated.  I was doing 10th grade school work by the time I was eleven years old.  My seven-year-old (as of October, so he's not an "upper" seven, pushing eight) has already read books such as The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Wind in the Willows.  And I don't mean the children's classics in their abridged and full-color illustration versions.

Like most parents, whether right or wrong (and present company for the most part excluded), mine tried to rear me to believe and think just like them.  If that's your goal, don't use ACE.  Because it allows kids to learn at their own pace and provides a wide range of curriculum to choose from, it promotes more "free-thinking" than most would imagine from a (and I use this word hesitantly) structured curriculum.  This apple fell a long way from the tree and continues getting farther.  On the other hand, my dad and are very close because of it.  We can sit and discuss religion, politics, philosophy, art, etc. from different viewpoints for hours over endless games of chess and 42 ounce glasses of cold iced tea.

I'm including this link particularly for parents who are homeschooling and either their state requires a "cover" school or they want to look into other materials than what they are using and for parents who are about to start homeschooling and want one more option to look at.
http://www.schooloftomorrow.com/homeschool/
I endorse the product and the program, just not so much all the religion-based pieces.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything