Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gary North on anti-schools.  (Read 7720 times)

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
Gary North on anti-schools.
« on: November 05, 2003, 04:04:47 pm »

Want to start a private school? Can't compete with public schools? Then don't.

Start a day care instead. One that just happens to have teachers on hand.  ;)

http://www.publishers-management.com/rem/preview/

http://www.publishers-management.com/rem/preview/rr031017fb.pdf

Brilliant.  8)

mark

• FSP Participant
Re:Gary North on anti-schools.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 04:00:02 pm »

Maybe we should e-mail these links to each and every public school teacher and PTA member in New Hampshire?  ;D

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 12:38:42 pm »

After reading the day care materials, there are two major points in success.

1. Locating cheap real estate. Finding a cooperative church with appropriate real estate may not be easy. Many (most) churches have pews, do not have playgrounds, and may not have the space to put up a playground.

2. Location. It has to be in a location where people are willing to pay, and where there isn't lots of competition. In my small town of 27,000, there are 24 day cares listed in the yellow pages, plus an unknown number of home day scare providers. In addition, the government is expanding its Head Start program and soliciting families with children just this week.

3. New Hampshire works as a location, in general, as folk aren't as interested in having "the gummint" running their pre-schoolers lives. But I haven't done the legwork to find out which areas have waiting lists, and which churches have appropriate real estate.

4. For those wondering why church real estate, several reasons. The author of the documents is a pastor. Church real estate is underused Monday-Friday. You can probably rent church real estate for 20-40% less than similar commercial real estate.

And, if we have well-run pre-schools that feed private schools, it should lower property taxes and draw more libertarians into the area, while raising real estate values. So it's a major win-win, especially if critical mass >40% of all pre-schoolers not cared for by parents/family.
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 07:44:40 am »

I especially like the way the school expands, continuing into a private school.  Also, in NH, I think the biggest obstacle to this will be critical mass -- much of NH is very rural, and I can't see this working in an area without a larger population (over 10,000).  However, southern NH, with its massive commuter population seems to be very ripe for this sort of idea.  A quick search of the yellow pages in Nashua, NH shows 112 entries for Child Care (This does appear to include a large surrounding area, including Manchester).

Also, this approach is very biblically-based.  I don't know what the attitude of that area is to such an approach.  I'd like to know, if anyone has any idea.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 04:19:56 am »

mark wrote:

<< http://www.publishers-management.com/rem/preview  >>

A reminder of the extent to which we share common cause with evangelicals, one of the minority groups most likely to suffer official discrimination.   The one most likely to benefit from elimination of coercively funded schooling (assuming we could ever pull *that* off)!
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 05:26:56 am »

Oh, we need to.

Ending Public Schooling is top priority for me (actually one of two top priorities -- ending Property Taxes).

That's where all the money I donate is going to, Candidates that support the complete seperation of School and State, Homeschooling defence fund groups,  etc.

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 06:16:42 am »

I especially like the way the school expands, continuing into a private school.  Also, in NH, I think the biggest obstacle to this will be critical mass -- much of NH is very rural, and I can't see this working in an area without a larger population (over 10,000).  However, southern NH, with its massive commuter population seems to be very ripe for this sort of idea.  A quick search of the yellow pages in Nashua, NH shows 112 entries for Child Care (This does appear to include a large surrounding area, including Manchester).

Rural areas would be the best market in my opinion. Rural townships often outsource their education service from neighboring townships. This might work on a per capita cost basis, yet imposes a cost on quality by long commute times for pupils and a lost opportunity cost by funding the capital improvement of another township. This bootstrapped private schooling enterprise could create a local self-reliance not only for a township but for freedom-loving people. Personally, I think the critical mass is actually much smaller than 100 or 150 students. I think it's more likely around 50-75, if even that, as small neighborhood-centric (walking distance) community schools could motivate attendance simply by being so visible, accessible and conveinent (JFYI: I'm influenced by the potential benefits of cohousing here).

I also think a critical mass can be found in the School Choice advocates called porcupines that will soon be flooding NH and have the demand of (libertarian) value-based schooling for their kids that will need to be supplied from some one.  ;)

Also, this approach is very biblically-based.  I don't know what the attitude of that area is to such an approach.  I'd like to know, if anyone has any idea.

Mr. Kozel offered this caveat:

P.S. I believe that my curriculum and strategy can be used in a non-Christian day care, but I can't say that this is being done.  I don't want to over-sell this project.  I do know that the system you are about to read about really works.  If you think you should modify it, that's up to you.

The most important part of this is the business model. As North and Kozel point out, Christian parents aren't any more motivated to provide their children a better education on "faith" (marketed features) than non-Christian parents. The Christian education angle is just a marketing feature for the author's niche. What keeps the parents bringing back their kids - creating retention that creates growth - are the delivered benefits that a non-governmental school provides. One could slap on any old label - Sylvan Learning Center-inspired, Objectivist, Libertarian Free Schooling, "UnSchooling", whatever.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 06:24:35 am by mark »

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 08:54:38 pm »

I'm working on some serious planning using this method.  I've read all his information and received all the emails regarding the various portions of the setup.  To do the next step, I'd need to purchase the information package from them.  As soon as I get through the holiday lack of cash, I'm going to proceed.

Then I'll make the decision about where and when to move to NH.  I might give it a one-year run where I am before I move, then I'll be more prepared for the move, with some experience with the business.

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 03:50:16 pm »

Very cool Ogre, good luck.  :D

ps I might yet be inspired enough in the future to draw up an action plan and system architecture that integrates this day care/school model into a broad-value-based economic plan (throw together the cohousing, local industry/import-replacement and a dash of Randian rational morality marketing added).

pps Chuckster posted a thread here serving notice that he is looking to invest in NH real estate. Perhaps he could handle the school facilities development?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 09:39:01 pm by mark »

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 11:02:31 pm »

4. For those wondering why church real estate, several reasons. The author of the documents is a pastor. Church real estate is underused Monday-Friday. You can probably rent church real estate for 20-40% less than similar commercial real estate.

How underused is the local ChuckE.Cheese's building during school hours? What kid wouldn't want to go to day care/school in a ChuckECheese's?  :D

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 07:39:21 am »

Good idea -- but I think those are open during lunch.  But a good direction.  Perhaps I should drive around businesses during the lunch hours to see where the empty buildings are...of course most businesses would not have an environment or area that would be very learning-oriented... :)

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
  • Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 11:15:14 pm »

:)This thread is very interesting and near and dear to my heart (mom of four kids 5 years and younger).  What about combining efforts with libraries?  These are open all day of course but could perhaps have an area or room to hold a school - I mean my father grew up with a one room schoolhouse experience in rural PA and became a Penn State grad and worked for 30+ years very effectively in the Pittsburgh area.  Who says you need big to be the best?  My older daughters are being schooled in a Montessori school right now that is housed in a church and other than the occasional religious Christmas song for the annual choral performance, there is NO religious aspect to the school.  
Whether we use churches, libraries, or business buildings I think a great approach would be to keep it small - almost apprentice-like in scope.  The first teachers are the parent(s) and other family members.  Everyone always hammers for "smaller classroom sizes" and "lower teacher -student ratios" -- why not design small schools around those key needs?  

Just some thoughts before I turn in for the night...
Sunshine
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 08:48:15 am »

Libraries is a good idea.  :D

One marketing concept that I have been developing is to separate the physical infrastructure from the services to be rendered. One gimmicky term I like is "BYOB Daycare" (Bring Your Own Babysitter), an organization that provides the building and centralised resources, and allows the customers to tailor exactly what services will be pursued.

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 11:15:21 pm »

What about combining efforts with libraries?

Who do you think should fund the libraries? Most now are funded with taxes. If the libraries are private, then the patrons are funding the school and you then have a private school in a library, instead of a private library in a school. Or am I missing something?

Diana

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 07:46:13 pm »

Book Stores used to run for-profit libraries. Untill they started being forced to pay for public libraries with their tax dollars.

I think they rented the books out. Much like rental stores rent videos out.

I don't know much about it.

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up