Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Privatize Utilites? Shouldn't the People Own Them?  (Read 30115 times)

BillG

Re:Why privatize grocery stores? Shouldn't the PEOPLE own them?
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2003, 06:16:32 pm »

Beyond Mediocrity:

I agree with everything you're saying, but I think that this thread was meant as sarcasm. At least I really hope it was!

BillG(not Gates of course because Gates in an evil capitalist!) seems to think that electric transmission lines and other utilities should not be privately owned and instead be "part of the commons."

The "why privatize grocery stores" is a mockery of his position...

Yeah, what he said.  Great, libertarians that want most things to be publicly owned.

In case you think I'm exaggerating, here are some names: Fred Foldvary as you know wrote an article about how he wants a public bus system, even if proper tolls were charged.  His argument similarly justifies public hospitals and health care centers. Harold Kyriazi admitted on an ASC thread (that I'll find if you desire) that a private school ought to get public funding if it raises property values.

Public buses, health care, schools ... freedom at its finest.

Like within the broader libertarian movement there are a variety of opinions within geo-libertarians...some argue for the citizens dividend (me) and then head tax & user fees others say that the money should go directly to the local government to pay for various services (Foldvary, Kyriazi). There is no uniformity...

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2003, 06:20:21 pm »

In case you think I'm exaggerating, here are some names: Fred Foldvary as you know wrote an article about how he wants a public bus system, even if proper tolls were charged.  His argument similarly justifies public hospitals and health care centers. Harold Kyriazi admitted on an ASC thread (that I'll find if you desire) that a private school ought to get public funding if it raises property values.

Public buses, health care, schools ... freedom at its finest.

Like within the broader libertarian movement there are a variety of opinions within geo-libertarians...some argue for the citizens dividend (me) and then head tax & user fees others say that the money should go directly to the local government to pay for various services (Foldvary, Kyriazi). There is no uniformity...

Pretty scary. And they call themselves Libertarians??

Let's get this straight:

If you are in favor of ANY form of government other than the minimum needed to keep law and order, you're NOT a friend of liberty.

Liberty means NO taxes, NO public schools, NO public bus systems, NO socialized medicine, NO public utilities, NO wealth redistribution schemes, NO gun control.
Get the hell out of the way!

LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 01:23:31 am by New Intellectual »
"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand
http://www.aynrand.org
http://capitalism.org

underwater

• FSP Participant
  • A Normal Geolibertarian
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2003, 04:13:34 pm »

You are assuming that I believe in the ancient Roman conception of land ownership as being "From the center of the Earth, to the heavens above."

However, I don't know where you got that idea from, since I believe in no such thing. I think that legally, airspace and land should be treated differently.

I think that legally, land and capital should be treated differently. Why am I so wrong while you are so right? However, if you insist on an absolute right to own land then I insist on an absolute right to own airspace. So, if I stand in my yard with a Stinger missile in order to keep those pesky planes out of my airspace then I think that your Randian philosophy should recognize such an action as a legitimate use of force. Otherwise, are you telling me that you are for socializing airspace?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 04:15:17 pm by underwater »
- I will only vote for people that live in my local community and that are willing to meet with me to discuss the issues.
- I will only pay a tax (preferably a LVT) that is levied by my local community and spent on local infrastructure improvements and security.
- To me, FedGov does not exist.

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2003, 11:48:38 pm »

Underwater, do you mind if we move this to the general libertarian discussion part of the forum?

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=4720;start=120#lastPost
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 12:49:31 am by New Intellectual »
"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand
http://www.aynrand.org
http://capitalism.org
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up