Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Registering to Vote in NH  (Read 4831 times)

Bart

• Friend of the FSP
Registering to Vote in NH
« on: October 03, 2003, 03:55:45 pm »

I am only a Friend of the FSP at this point due to family obligations.  But I was wondering what are the exact requirements to be able to vote in NH?  

If there is the possibility of buying a small plot of land, or a condo and being able to vote in NH, I would be very interested.  So if anyone has details, please provide.

I realize the focus right now should be on getting people to actually move to the state.  But, considering a lot of committed members won't be physically moving to NH for quite some time, the possibility of qualifying to vote sooner would be of interest to them as well.  

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
Re:Registering to Vote in NH
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 04:51:09 pm »

http://www.state.nh.us/sos/vote.htm

HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE
IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

WHO CAN REGISTER
New Hampshire residents who will be 18 years of age or older on election day, and a United States Citizen, may register with the town or city clerk where they live up to 10 days before any election. You may also register on election day at the polling place. The town clerk's office can inform voters of what proof of qualification they should bring to register.

There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register.  You may register as soon as you move into your new community.

HOW TO REGISTER
1) Apply to your town or city clerk's office.  You will be required to fill out a standard voter registration form.
2)  It may be easier for you to register with your community's Supervisors of the Checklist.  By law they are required to meet on the Saturday 10 days prior to each election.  Check the local newspaper(s) or call your clerk's office for the date and time of such meeting.
3)  Qualified individuals may also register to vote at the polling place on election day at all elections.  You will be asked to show proof of age, citizenship, and/or domicile.

ABSENTEE REGISTRATION
If you meet the state's voter requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail.  You should request an Absentee Registration Affidavit and a Voter Registration Form from your town/city clerk.  The Absentee Registration Affidavit must be witnessed and then both the affidavit and the voter registration form are to be returned to your town/city clerk.

COLLEGE STUDENTS
If you are a student attending college in New Hampshire, please click here for additional information.

OVERSEAS CITIZENS
Any person who is domiciled outside the continental United States has the right to register and vote absentee in any federal election (President, United States Senator, United States Representative) in the town or city in New Hampshire in which they had their domicile immediately prior to their departure from the United States, even though the person no longer maintains a domicile in said city or town and even though their intent to return is uncertain.

ARMED SERVICES
An armed service voter may apply for an absentee ballot from the town/city clerk of the town in which he/she was a resident immediately prior to entering the service.   Armed service voters are eligible to vote for all offices.

ABSENTEE BALLOTS
Absentee ballots are available from your town or city clerk 30 days prior to an election.  Request the absentee ballot application from the clerk or submit a request in writing which should include your name, voting address, mailing address and your signature.  Clerks may accept completed absentee ballots submitted in person until 5 p.m. the day before an election or until 5 p.m. on election day if received through the mail.

POLITICAL PARTIES
When registering to vote, you will not be required to register as a member of a political party (republican or democratic) -- you may register as an undeclared voter.  However, while all registered voters are allowed to vote in a general election, only party members can vote in a primary election. Voters should be aware of their party status before a primary election.  If you voted on a party ballot in the 2002 state primary, you are now a registered member of that party unless you filled out a card to return to undeclared status.

NOTE: The last day to change your party affiliation for the 2004 Presidential Primary is October 31, 2003 with your supervisors of the checklist. Supervisors are required by law to meet on that date at least between 7:00 and 7:30 p.m.

If you are unsure of your party affiliation,  you should contact your town or city clerk, as they have the records of party membership. Or, if you are a party member and wish to change your registration status, initiate such a change by taking one of the following steps:

1)    Meet with the Supervisors of the Checklist no later than June 1, 2004 -- the last day to change your political party and still be eligible to vote in the state primary election, or register the change with your town or city clerk by that date.  This is the last day to register to vote if you wish to file as a candidate for the state primary election.

2)    If you are a registered member of a party, you may change your registration at any primary, however, you will not be allowed to vote in that primary.   Undeclared voters may declare a party and vote at any primary.  The law allows an undeclared voter to declare a party at the polls, vote the ballot of that party, and then change their party affiliation back to undeclared simply by completing the form available from the Supervisors of the Checklist at the polling place.

VOTER REGISTRATION DEADLINES

October 31, 2003         Last day to change party affiliation prior to the Presidential
                                      Primary Election
June 1, 2004                 Last day to change your party affiliation and still vote in the
                                      State Primary Election.
September 7, 2004        Last day to register to vote before Primary Election Day.
September 14, 2004      STATE PRIMARY ELECTION DAY- Unregistered voters
                                       may register and vote  on this day.
October 23, 2004          Last day to register to vote until the General Election.
November 2, 2004        GENERAL ELECTION DAY-  Unregistered voters may
                                       register and vote on this day.

John-Wiltbank

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 02:41:33 pm »

Hi,

I know that somewhere in the annals of the Which State board there is a discussion of what the citizenship requirements are for the various states that were considered.

However, to make it easier, can someone explain in plain english, step by step, how a person could go about voting in New Hampshire elections before actually moving to New Hampshire?  Dop you have to physically visit, or can you do it all through the mail?  What about PTers?(Perpetual Travelers, i.e., people that live out of their RV, travel trailer, or other vehicle, with no ownership of a permenent plot of land.)

John Wiltbank

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 02:48:43 pm »

According to the law, as stated above, you must actually "live" in New Hampshire.

It is not a good idea to try to vote without living in the state, or to promote it to the members.  It's just a very, very bad idea.

Think what the people of New Hampshire would say after a news article hits the papers saying that some FSP members are voting in NH without even living there by a legal technicality.

Our reputation would be destroyed.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

muni

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 05:08:49 pm »

I am only a Friend of the FSP at this point due to family obligations.  But I was wondering what are the exact requirements to be able to vote in NH?  

If there is the possibility of buying a small plot of land, or a condo and being able to vote in NH, I would be very interested.  

Why would you go through all that - just to vote? The purpose of the FSP is
to get _activists_ into NH. A single vote doesn't change much. An activists,
working in campaigns etc does .

muni .

John-Wiltbank

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 11:50:28 am »

Yeah, LeRuineur6, that's great.  Thanks.

I was just asking about the residency requirements.  Above, it looks like there is no minimum "wiating period", like some states have.  Quote: "There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register.  You may register as soon as you move into your new community."

So, this seems to mean that PTers can vote, as long as they come back in person for the election.  But if you happen to be on the road, looks like two separate letters are required: one to register, one to send in a ballot.  But then, you never can tell with legal documents.

And what if your address is...not publicly available  ;) ?  What exactly are the requirements to prove you live there?  Hopefully they don't require Slave Surveillance Numbers and Tracking Cards (opps, silly me; I mean Drivers' Liscences).

If anyone knows what the actual deal is with the rules, feel free to reply.

Or, alternatively, you can just tell our Friends not to bother with it (see above).  Whatever seems best to you.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 11:53:11 am by JohnWiltbank »

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 01:16:42 am »

I did the voter registration issues report for all the states in the Which State forum.  I was particularly interested in non-resident voting.  NH has one of the best systems for non-resident voting.  

I will echo the above, though, that if you're actually a resident of another *state*, you really aren't legally entitled to vote in NH.  There is no time limit, no requirement of intent to return, and no real problem with absentee voting because of being on the road or living *overseas* (though, depending on the locality, you may not be able to vote in local elections), however, if you actually live in another state, you should vote there.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 08:21:14 am »

Actually, there is a provision for intention to return.

Eligibility

I. Every inhabitant of the state, having a fixed and permanent established domicile, being a citizen of the United States, of the age provided for in Article 11 of Part First of the Constitution of New Hampshire, shall have a right at any meeting or election, to vote in the town, ward, or unincorporated place in which he is domiciled. The determinant of one's domicile is a question of factual physical presence incorporating an intention to reside for an indefinite period. This domicile is the voter's residence to which, upon temporary absence, he has the intention of returning. This domicile is that place in which he dwells on a continuing basis for a significant portion of each year.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 09:06:46 am »

Humm, wonder where I got that from then?!?  Bizzare. ;)  Thanks for the correction.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Elwar

• FSP Participant
  • NH Bound.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 04:33:17 pm »

From www.newhampshire.com

Establishing Residency

New Hampshire does not have a formal procedure for establishing residency. Anyone wanting to establish residency must provide some form of tangible proof that are living in the state. Acceptable forms of proof include drivers license, utility bill, rental or mortgage payment, and vehicle registration.

---
That's pretty much the way it worked here in Georgia. The first time I
got my drivers license I just showed them a copy of my phone bill and
exchanged my Michigan license for a Georgia one. From there on out
I only needed to use my drivers license when registering to vote.
And I actually use my work address as my 'residence' as opposed to
my home address since I move quite a bit plus I don't really care much
about the county where I live, only where I work.
The worst thing that can be done to society is for someone to try to help society.

John-Wiltbank

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 09:53:17 pm »

Hi again,

Thanks, varrin, Elwar and JonM for the response.  I now know basically what's required.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything