Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling & Education Newsgroup  (Read 4903 times)

jeanius

Homeschooling & Education Newsgroup
« on: October 01, 2003, 02:25:28 pm »

I've started FSPHomeschooling, a newsgroup dedicated to homeschooling and education in New Hampshire. Natives and Porcupines are invited to participate.  My initial thoughts were to have the newsgroup be a way to share information about education and homeschooling in New Hampshire, including changes we might like to make, as well as a place for current and ongoing homeschooling and educational support for parents and other interested parties.  Please join at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FSPHomeschooling/ or email me at jalex@hand-off.com for an invitation.  

Hope to see you there!

Jean

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
Re:Homeschooling & Education Newsgroup
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 03:40:00 pm »

jeanius,

If you would like to volunteer to help start the Liberty Learning Center in New Hampshire, or any of the other three FSP projects we are starting, please e-mail me at mikef@custom-tech.biz and we will be honored to have you!  :)

We're still in the early planning stages!  One of the primary goals of the LLC is to provide resources for homeschoolers.  You seem like someone who would be a perfect volunteer for this project!  ;)

Just let me know!
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

jeanius

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 12:12:32 am »

I'm interested and have sent you an email.  It would be great to begin making a FSP homeschooling friendly environment!

Jean

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 08:57:50 am »

Jean,

In reply to your e-mail, we've talked once or twice about creating a branch of the Liberty Scholarship Fund which helps inform parents about which educational options are available for their child's education.

This idea was quickly rejected as adding a level of bureaucracy on top of the LSF, a level of bureaucracy unrelated to the main goal, which may or may not help to remove children from public schools.

Do you think we need to add this type of function to the LSF?  Your projects seems to be focused on helping Porcupines while the need exists to help ALL citizens of the Free State to remove their children from public schools.

It is an issue up for debate as to whether or not your project could be a part of the LSF or a project of its own.  *shrugs shoulders*

Thoughts?
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

jeanius

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 11:48:18 am »

I haven't check out the link for the LSF but will do that and respond more a bit later.  

The newsgroup is open to all, not just porcupines, and is a place I hope we can discuss education in general not just homeschooling.  I had two purposes in mind with the newsgroup.  One, a practical, information sharing application for those of us with children who take responsibility for their education - homeschooling or otherwise.  Two, a place to talk about education in general including topics such as the effectiveness of public schools, private schools, what works, what doesn't, why, etc.  Initially I expect discussions to focus on learning about the educational environment of NH - its homeschooling laws, public school ratings, private school options, etc.

I debated about calling the newsgroup FSP"Homeschooling" but other homeschooling newsgroups I belong to include members who use public and private schools and it ends up being a place to share information about educating our children in general.  I'm hoping for the same with FSPHomeschooling.  The name can always change to FSPLearning or FSPEducation if the name is off-putting.  Honestly, I think the word/phrase "homeschooling" catches the eye of those who are involved with and take responsibility for their children's education more than just "education" or "learning".

I used a local private school for two years and had problems which caused me to begin homeschooling.  Not coincidentally, those problems began as the school started the accreditation process and had to bow and scrape to state requirements.  I'm not personally locked into homeschooling, though I do think it is a wonderfully successful option.  In our area the private school we used was the only option and it turned to the dark side.

I'm not sure if I've addressed your issues.  I will check out the LSF link.  Perhaps the newsgroup can be independant but a place to have the discussions and investigations the LSF is not designed to handle.

Jean

jeanius

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 12:47:27 pm »

After reading a bit more this morning, being interrupted three times by the two year old, I actually do think the function of the newsgroup and the LSF overlapped.  I believe one of the most useful ways to promote liberty minded education is to educate parents about options.  Many people are "afraid" of homeschooling because it appears to be a daunting task.  Many people don't think they can afford a private school when it may be more attainable than they think.  It is not trivial to step and think outside the box when it comes to education.  The United States mentality about education is so very entrenched at this point.  Every politician wanting to be elected makes education a "priority".  People care about this but most expect, no demand, that the state deal with it.  The trick is to get people to deal with it.  Taking responsibility for your children's education, either in school or at home, is the key.  Don't drop your kids off at school and pick them up.  Spend time at the school, regularly.  Talk about what the kids are learning, read some of their books ...

Someone said somewhere that compulsory education is the problem and that's true too.  Gatto is a great read on this subject, though he has gone a bit over the edge on some of his more recent writings.  Locking children in schools for 7 or 8 hours a day 5 days a week doesn't necessarily constitute education and may not include learning.   And the indoctrination is an issue too.  I don't want the state teaching my children to be good citizens.  We want to teach our children their rights and options within the system including disagreeing with and changing the state (a bunch of this).  

The subject of education is beloved here.  My husband's mother was a teacher for 20 years who took pride in the fact that she was fired three times.  She was fired for not socially promoting students, for not bowing and scraping to the administrative authority but rather focusing on the teaching and learning issues.  

A related but side note ... as strongly as I felt about education before I had children, once I had them the stakes rose exponentially.  It's no longer any children, its my children, and that increased passion extends to the subject in general.  

Two year old is back,

Jean

wes237

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 01:29:53 pm »

Would this be of assistance to homeschoolers?

http://www.fasteducationtipsforteachers.com

rodschmidt

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 12:09:07 am »

Radical books:

The Case Against College
Caroline Bird
New York: David McKay Company, 1975

Free Market in the Classroom
(how a teacher delegated pencil-management tasks to his pupils by creating a free market in his classroom)

The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think & How Schools Should Teach
Howard Gardner
BasicBooks, 1991. ISBN 0-465-08896-1 (paper)

"I Won't Learn From You" And Other Thoughts on Creative Maladjustment
Herbert Kohl
New Press, 1994. ISBN 1-56584-096-8: LC 93-83618

Horace's School: Redesigning the American High School
Theodore Sizer
Houghton Miflin, 1992. ISBN 0-395-65973-6 (pbk)

The End of Education
Postman, Neil
New York:Alfred A. Knopf. 1995

Free to Learn: Unlocking and Ungrading American Education
John Henry Martin & Charles H. Harrison
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1972

To Open Minds
Howard Gardner
BasicBooks (Harper Collins), 1989. ISBN 0-465-08630-6 (cloth) ISBN 0-465-08629-2 (paper)

Freedom and Beyond
John Holt
New York: E.P. Dutton, 1972

How children think and how schools should teach
Howard Gardner
Basic Books,1991 .ISBN 0-465-08896-1(paper)

Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
Daniel Goleman
Bantam, 1995. ISBN 0-553-09503-X

Multiple Intelligences: The Theory in Practice: A reader
Howard Gardner
HarperCollins, 1993. ISBN 0-465-01821-1

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 04:25:53 pm »

Here's some even more radical ones

"Learning to Learn"

"Photoreading"

"The Einstein Factor"

These are about accelerative learning techniques.

Go to http://www.winwenger.com to learn more about their philosophies.

We're still in the Dark Ages Folks :-)

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything