Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could you give me some ideas for a Mail Order Business?  (Read 8989 times)

Summerlin

• Student.
Could you give me some ideas for a Mail Order Business?
« on: September 03, 2003, 02:54:59 pm »

I need some ideas on what Products that may sell well.

I'm looking to make a modest 5-10k annually.

Also, have any of you ever ran a Mail Order Business?

wes237

• FSP Participant
Re:Could you give me some ideas for a Mail Order Business?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 07:35:19 pm »

spend some time exploring ebay. look at products that people purchase there, repeatedly.

5-10K annually?.... if you  sell nicotine gum at a discount ... that alone would not be too difficult to make that much profit in a year.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 12:19:19 pm »

For four+ years I worked for Datamann, which produces MOSP, an application that many mail order businesses use to manage all aspects of their businesses. Datamann also does mail list processing services for mail order companies, magazines, and other direct marketing companies.
Customers of ours include Brookstone, New York Times, Boston Globe, The Baseball Hall of Fame, among many others, from big names down to mom and pop home based operations (Wingset, sells products for upland game hunting and hunting dogs, is run by a friend of mine out of his home several miles away from me).
One thing I've learned is that there really isn't much that CAN'T be sold by mail order. What is important is that you figure out what sort of things YOU like, what is important to you. Find products that you can believe in and enjoy selling. Once you've figured this out, that is when you put these products into a mail order operation.
Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

Mike Lorrey
mlorrey@yahoo.com
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

thistlewind

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 12:39:59 pm »

Have you considered adult entertainment items?  In all seriousness, this is like a multi-billion dollar per year business. :o
People unfit for freedom - who cannot do much with it - are hungry for power. The desire for freedom is an attribute of a "have" type of self. It says: leave me alone and I shall grow, learn, and realize my capacities. The desire for power is basically an attribute of a "have not&

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 05:39:07 am »

Have you considered adult entertainment items?  In all seriousness, this is like a multi-billion dollar per year business. :o

Actually this idea never crossed my mind...  I'm sure I could make a living off this though...

I appreciate your input.  :)

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 05:40:22 am »

For four+ years I worked for Datamann, which produces MOSP, an application that many mail order businesses use to manage all aspects of their businesses. Datamann also does mail list processing services for mail order companies, magazines, and other direct marketing companies.
Customers of ours include Brookstone, New York Times, Boston Globe, The Baseball Hall of Fame, among many others, from big names down to mom and pop home based operations (Wingset, sells products for upland game hunting and hunting dogs, is run by a friend of mine out of his home several miles away from me).
One thing I've learned is that there really isn't much that CAN'T be sold by mail order. What is important is that you figure out what sort of things YOU like, what is important to you. Find products that you can believe in and enjoy selling. Once you've figured this out, that is when you put these products into a mail order operation.
Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

Mike Lorrey
mlorrey@yahoo.com

Thanks for the breakdown...  I've thought about selling specific books.  I need to put some time and thought into this.   :)

Michael Enquist

• It's your life, are you getting what you want?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 04:40:24 am »

Summerlin,

You could also set up a web-based business. There are literally millions of options. (One of wchich I will tell you about if you e-mail me.)

The tough part with any business is letting the customers know you are out there.

I recommend the "Guerilla Marketing" series as a source for ideas on how to get the word out cheaply.

Ciao,

ME

michael_enquist at GoNowMail dot com

(I realized why Dada Orwell posted his address this way: Messes up spaming programs.)

Uday Stalin

• I love power
    • Archives from my favorite columnist
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 03:21:10 pm »

Don't be so limited in your thinking.  With a free state, the shackles of oppressive regulations will be removed.

Think about the huge demand for items that are heavily taxed and regulated in this so called free country.

Then think about what the items people would want to order via the mail rather than purchase directly.  Think about what opportunities that a free state offer, that no one in any other state will be able to compete with.  Even if you're limited to the residents of NH, you've got a million wallets, ready to be emptied.

You'll have to consider that there'll be many new products available.  Phillip Morris will probably make marijuana cigarretes available the day that the relevant laws are repealed.   Not everyone will be able to drive to get their pot at the nearest Wal-Mart.  Some, for medicinal reasons, will need them delivered to their home!  There's going to be tasty sweet alcoholic beverages that teens love, there'll be all kinds of firearms and weaponry available.  Heck, with all the brothels that will pop up, you could even have a NetFlix equivalent of prostitutes, where you select any 3 girls/boys at a time!
Voila!  
You could be selling 5K-10K per day with a little creative thinking!
Many powerful people don't bother advertising their lack of morals and ethics.

bookish_lass

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 03:31:40 pm »

There's going to be tasty sweet alcoholic beverages that teens love...  where you select any 3 girls/boys at a time!
Voila!  
You could be selling 5K-10K per day with a little creative thinking!

I've got a real problem with someone named "Stalin" coming in here and pushing the fringe aspects of the FSP.  People, we need to be aware that there are those out there who will push the fringe elements in order to make the FSP fail.  No one here wants to see teens drink more or have "girls and boys" involved in a brothel!

Uday Stalin

• I love power
    • Archives from my favorite columnist
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 08:51:25 pm »

I think it's important to make a distinction between "The Free State Project" and the advantages of having a free state.

Throughout most of human history, there were no regulations on this kind of behavior.  Even in the US, it's only been in the past 100 years or so that all these religious minded "progressives" and "reformers" have been stripping away the rights of free humans to live how they will, and make profit how they will.

I think that out of 280 million Americans, there are many of us who want a truly free state so we can do whatever we want.
Many powerful people don't bother advertising their lack of morals and ethics.

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 09:14:55 pm »

I've been doing eBay since 1997.  I'm willing to help other porcupines get started once we get to the free state, assuming they agree not to step on my toes.

Also, please be forewarned.  Contrary to the eBay propanda machine's spin, it is NOT easy money.  You will need to know the tricks of the trade, or you will get eaten for lunch.

Check my feedback:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=thegotoguy.com

(the link isn't working - you have to copy and paste the entire URL.  My user ID is "thegotoguy.com".  It's one of the grandfathered ID's from before they stopped letting you use domain names as your user ID)

You'll see that I know what I'm talking about.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 09:24:12 pm by thegotoguy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up