Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Might be ready to move.  (Read 713 times)

jason_c

• 4th Gen Tactical
Might be ready to move.
« on: April 30, 2019, 06:11:24 pm »

Hey All,

I didn’t have any luck finding a job in NH, but I just got my CDL and started a job with an over-the-road company.  This means that I MIGHT be able to move now. The catch will be the cost of living.  I need to find a place that will allow me to provide for my wife and two kids. Although it should get better, my pay for the first few months will be around 3k/month.  If anyone has any recommendations on where I should look for apartments or houses, I’d be happy to get them.  Any other suggestions also appreciated. 
We cannot rid ourselves of the state if we need it to defend us.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Might be ready to move.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:00 pm »

Congrats on the job. Given that you'll be making your living on the road, you have some freedom about where to live. The cheapest places are going to be away from the cities, especially anything west of the Merrimack River or north of the White Mountains but not near Dartmouth and not Keene. I have a spreadsheet with data on town affordability and taxes, but in the end you'll want to look for a place you can envision living in that doesn't cost too much - and focusing on a particular town might not be the way to achieve that.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jason_c

• 4th Gen Tactical
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 08:25:05 pm »

Thank you for your response.  I would love to take a look at your chart if you are willing to share.  The other thing I need is some advice on where to look.  I’ve looked on the main national sites like Zillow and I don’t feel like it’s showing me everything available. 

Thanks Again!
We cannot rid ourselves of the state if we need it to defend us.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:51 am »

Here's the spreadsheet: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jsorens/nhtowns15.xls . The comments in the first row explain what each column measures.

Redfin.com sometimes has more than Zillow does, but you may also want to reach out to Mark Warden (www.porcupinerealestate.com).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything