Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Once the free state is decided....  (Read 9332 times)

Scott ISMP

• Founder of ISM Project!
Once the free state is decided....
« on: August 12, 2003, 04:08:38 pm »

I will be moving as soon as possible.  I will be making a new business from scratch and will be hiring around 45 people.

if you would like to work under my business please email me at

ismcouncil@yahoo.com

Scott
ISM Project

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re:Once the free state is decided....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 11:33:10 pm »

Scott...wow, geeze...

That's great!  I'm set for employment looks like, but it's great you are planning to hire folks!

If it's not breaking any secrets, what's your business going to be?    
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Scott ISMP

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 12:14:30 pm »

I do not mind telling people my secret business (it is already set basically just need to move to state and start building)

I am creating a Restraunt.  It will be a sit down restraunt.  

Waiter gets paid 9.00 dollars an hour

Cheff gets paid 13.00 dollars an hour

Hostest gets paid 8.00 dollars an hour

Manager gets paid 17.00 dollars an hour

each of these jobs they do more then there title like the manager will help the cheff at times or the waiters or take out trash clean and so on.  If you would like to apply to the business please tell me

your name

your age

which job you would like to apply for

Have a great day!

Scott
ISM Project

Scott ISMP

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 12:15:48 pm »

Each employee will have a 2 week training before they start work.  During these 2 weeks they will get paid.  They will learn how to do there job.

I have had the idea of a restraunt planed out sketched (saved money), and everything for little over a year.  Just have to wait to move to the free state to start building :).

« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 12:17:55 pm by Scott ISMP »
ISM Project

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 11:06:52 am »

I always disliked the notion that I was expected to directly support the staff of a restaurant through tips.  I embrace the notion of a restaurant that pays their staff a proper wage, fires those who do not perform, gives raises to those that over-perform, and does not expect their patrons to fork over additional monies based primarily on the cost of the meal (the 15-20% "tip").
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

Adam Selene

• FSP Participant
  • I already shrugged. Where the hell are you?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 04:31:46 pm »

I have to disagree regarding tips.

I have found *repeatedly* in many different cities and countries, that where optional tips are a norm, service is 100 times better than where tips are not the norm and/or are automatically included in the bill.

lloydbob1

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 04:37:53 pm »

I have to disagree regarding tips.

I have found *repeatedly* in many different cities and countries, that where optional tips are a norm, service is 100 times better than where tips are not the norm and/or are automatically included in the bill.

You will be free to tip Scott's employees!

Scott ISMP

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 01:01:48 pm »

well I am not sure on prices wages for other states I am just going by Montana right this second.  Once we move to the free state I will be looking in wages to make sure the staff gets good pay.  

Oh and dont worry if I dont like a certin staff they will be booted out.

ISM Project

Sean Coven

• FSP Participant
  • I Hate Maryland!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 01:10:22 pm »

I would absolutely love to do this... in fact, if I had a guarantee of a steady job, I might actually much sonner, as soon as high school's finished rather then waiting till the end of college!

I sent off an e-mail.

kharmajunkie(will)

• FSP Participant
  • cycling to New Hampshire!
    • kharmajunkie/will
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 01:30:05 am »

I wait tables and bartend.  I've done hotel front desk too.
Words we say, never seem to live up to the ones inside our heads.  Chris Cornell

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 12:01:42 pm »

Now, before anyone reading the rest of this post thinks I'm trying to beat down Scott's idea, I'm not.  I think a new restaurant or two would be -excellent- sources of employment and revenue in the Free State (with the likelyhood of success being -MUCH- greater in ID, NH and DE than the others, IMHO).  Hell, owning/running one myself is on my TODO list :)

With that, though...I've worked in fast food and in sit down dining estableshments, in pretty much all capacities -except- store manager.  I've run an entire line solo, waited tables, hosted, etc, so I speak from -some- experience here :)

17/hr is the low end for a restaurant manager to be making, -especially- for a store manager.  35K/yr isn't even close to appropriate compensation for someone who will likely be working 60 hours weeks, constantly.  The paperwork involved in the day to day management of such a beast can be overwhelming, starting with payroll (are you planning on hiring an accountant?  you'll need one...you'll also need an attorney), product ordering, waste management (not garbage, but proper use of ingredients and kitchen equipment), etc.  Basically, a store manager should have a base salary in the neighborhood of 45-55k, with annual incentive bonuses of another 20-50k.  FoH/BoH managers should be in the 35-42k range, initially, with bonuses of another 15-35k.
Depending on hours of operation, number of employees and the size of the establishment, you'll need at -least- three managers, probably four (store manager, unless you're planning on that being yourself, front of house and back of house, minimum, and possibly a bar/ass't front of house manager).  With a brewpub, you'd also need to find a skilled brewmaster and an assistant or two for him/her, for example.  If you are looking to employ folks that have Hotel and Restaurant management education, then you're going to pay more, as well.

What sort of restaurant are you looking at opening (ie. Italian, sports-bar, French haute-cuisine, Asian, Brewpub, Seafood, etc)?  How many seats?  Smoking/non-smoking?  Hours of operation?  Location?

Every on of these is a consideration that must be taken into account before opening a restaurant.  Something else to keep in mind is that restaurants have a -higher- rate of failure than other small businesses, due to the high capital costs required to get going (If you don't have half a million to a million in the bank, it'll be hard to not take a loan.  Seriously.  Professional kitchen equipment is faaaaaaaar from inexpensive, same with two hundred sets of dishes, silver, etc isn't cheap, either.).

So, with all of that: 45 total employees, I see the following breakdown (each server working 6 6 hour shifts per week running 4 table sections)
Management: Owner (Scott), 1 BoH and 1 FoH (3)
BoH: 3 Chefs/lead cooks, 3 to 5 assisstants, 2 dishwashers. (8-10)
FoH: 6 hosts/hostesses, 4 bartenders, 3 barbacks (weekends/evenings only), 18 servers

The three barbacks are completely optional, but if you have a lot of drinking diners, they can make the bartenders lives a -hell- of a lot easier....The hosts/hostesses double as bussers.

This is -bare- bones for running any more than about 28 tables.  You'd have very little coverage support if someone was sick though.  I'd really run with 20-24 tables, to allow for 1/3 of your service staff to be part timers.  20-24 tables would be moderately successfull, IMHO, particularly if you choose the right kind of food to server to your potential clientele :)

That all said: I've waited tables, cooked, etc, and if -my- business doesn't get off the ground, I might be willing/able to help out :)

Scott ISMP

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 01:20:21 am »

Acually I have already considered everything you stated :).  The fact is when I firsted started to plan it out (a long time ago even before FSP was around I think...) I have decided to change the wages, how many more to hire and so on.

I, and a few other managers have been looking and still are looking at people, seems like a never ending job  ;D.  Anyone is welcome to post for a job.  

So if you want a job just PM me and I will give you the infomation that you need to send me through email, and so on.

Keep on smiling because we are going to the free land!
ISM Project

Scott ISMP

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2003, 01:21:48 am »

I wait tables and bartend.  I've done hotel front desk too.

are you good with mixxing and serving drinks?  Would you rather be a bartender or wait tables?  PM me  ;)
ISM Project

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 01:21:26 pm »

RE: Tips

A friend explained a fantastic alternative to tipping. Since tips are reportable to the IRS, and gifts are not, he recommended that you guestimate what your bill is going to be ahead of time and figure out what you would normally pay as a gratuity. Then, as you are seated and introduced to the waitron, give them this amount and say that this is not a tip, you will not be tipping, that this money is a gift and as such is tax-free and non-reportable. If your waitron is smart, they will quickly catch on and you will enjoy fantastic service.

I recommend to scott that he consider instituting this sort of system...
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 08:58:28 am »

I LIKE the way you think, Mike. You must be from New Hampshire.... ;)

I have also noticed no tips=lousy service. Tipping is unheard of in Holland, and the service is horrid there. A while ago, I spent a couple weeks there, and I went out to dinner the day I got back. The food came in about 10 mins, and the manager came out apologizing, and offering to pay for our meals because it took so long. I told her I didn't notice, because I had just gotten back from Holland, where it takes 1/2 hour just to get a menu.... :)

A gift before the meal... You  ever try that in rl, Mike?

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up