Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: civil asset forfeiture  (Read 1210 times)

mistyeyes

civil asset forfeiture
« on: May 01, 2016, 12:17:31 pm »

As I am sure most here will know, civil asset forfeiture allows law enforcement agencies to take money, cars, houses, and other property that they suspect of being purchased with the proceeds from criminal activity or of being used in connection with criminal activity.  It is not necessary to actually prove you committed any crime. You don’t even have to be charged with one.

I read that, last year, Montana and New Mexico passed reform measures that require a criminal conviction before assets can be stolen by state agents, and Nebraska just did, too.

(I shamelessly stole most of the above from another forum. :))

A search for "civil asset forfeiture" on this forum turned up only one post which only mentioned caf in passing.

Please, what is the status of caf in NH?  Thank you in advance.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: civil asset forfeiture
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »

The house and senate just passed different versions of a bill abolishing civil asset forfeiture. The bills have to be reconciled and then go to the governor. The margins by which they passed suggest a veto would be overridden.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up