Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to Live? Need Advice Make My Dreams Come True!  (Read 1682 times)

smurfblood

Where to Live? Need Advice Make My Dreams Come True!
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:13:27 pm »

Recently, my wife and I sat down and hashed out our life goals. She informed me that her dream was to open and operate a retail store in New England - most preferably one that sold board games, card games, and gamer related paraphernalia. As a Stephen King fan, she likes Maine. Then again, she also loves the show Gilmore Girls, which is set in rural Connecticut.

I'm equally as enthusiastic, though, as a libertarian, I'm more interested in NH (she's not nearly as political as me).

We'd like a more scenic town, with limited traffic, but enough of a population to support a retail business.  We'd also prefer lower residential and commercial real estate pricing.  As former residents of WV, we're cool with snow, and prefer the mountains to the sea.

What locals do you suggest?

Thanks!

JLTW

Re: Where to Live? Need Advice Make My Dreams Come True!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:55:35 pm »

I don't live in NH yet but I have read/heard a lot about an intriguing town called Franklin. It's a smaller town that has dwindled over the years, but a man by the name of Todd Workman came in and started making major shifts to renovate it into a "permaculture city".

Permaculture is a cluster of environmental and farming ideas that focus on working with nature in harmony, to bring out the best of its natural strengths and resources.

When you mentioned the part about a retail business, I would say that as of yet, Franklin is a little on the small side and has a history of creeping towards "ghost town". But it's been a few years since Workman came into town, and he's made quite a few headlines with the changes. In 6 months time I bet Franklin would be a great place. However, if you are on the innovative side and want to be one of the first to nab the opportunity, you could move any time.

Permaculture supports small businesses, organizations, community involvement, etc. If you can look at some of your business practices and align them with permaculture, and advertise that to the community, your store should do well in no time. Unless you are a niché market.

Otherwise, I have asked porcs for recommendations similar to yours and was recommended to Hillsboro, a small-medium town close to Concord with decent housing prices.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

I have an acquaintance in NH who manages a chain of game stores in southern NH and northern Mass. One location you may want to look into is Laconia, which gets a lot of tourist traffic in summer but is otherwise pretty quiet. It's had one of the biggest declines in home prices over the last 10 years, so you can get a lot for your money there.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

smurfblood

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:53:27 pm »

Permaculture sounds like interesting stuff.

Laconia is where the Fun Spot's located, right? I feel the synergy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up