Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IDEA for movers, get sponsored  (Read 1737 times)

troy

IDEA for movers, get sponsored
« on: February 26, 2016, 05:07:28 am »

Hi all. 

Nice to meet you all.  First post here.

So I signed this pledge many years ago.  The way I see it, I will definitely move to NH as long as 19,999 others agree to come with me.  I am also realist and understand it's asking a lot.  It is even for me.  And I'm single with no kids and no mortgage payment to tie me down.

So I've been thinking about what would help me make the leap, which could also help 19,999 others too!

Here's my idea:  I could honestly really use somebody to call and talk to figure out how to make the move  Somebody with a similar age/background/interest and hobbies as me.  A sponsor, if you will.  Somebody to sponsor me to help me get up and moved to NH.  The forums are good, but it's slightly disconnecting.

Sponsors provide 4 things.  They assure the newcomer (me) that there is at least one person who understands the situation fully and cares — one person to turn to when doubts, questions, or problems linked to moving arise. Sponsorship gives the newcomer an understanding, sympathetic when it is needed. Sponsorship also provides the bridge enabling the new person to meet other movers — in a group.  Like AA, if you will.

Obviously, I the first step for me is attending a Porcfest, which I have not done yet.

But, looking forward, I think if we are really going to have the maximum impact of getting these 20k people here, then we should set up a sponsorship program to pair people up who have similar interests.  Maybe because there are people understaffed, put a leader in charge of a group of a few movers.  As more people get moved, those people can help get the rest of the lollylaggers, too.  In the long run, we are creating friendships that will help us stay active in the local community.

My point is, I realize there are people I can reach out to today.  But if we had a volunteer system in place to pair each other up, I'm sure we would realize our maximum potential.

Thoughts?

JLTW

Re: IDEA for movers, get sponsored
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:13 pm »

As a mover in a similar position to you, I second this!

Considering that there are 2,000 people in the state and 10x as many moving, we may have to substitute sponsors with a "buddy system" until more people move. A buddy can be like a sponsor but who is also moving.

I too am frustrated with the setup of the forum and wanted to make Porc Manor (the FSP housing search) a lot more involved than it is currently. I was hoping to evolve it to help roommates find each other as, with the high price of rent in NH people like myself will need a roommate. I'm having a hard time finding a private room for even $400 when that was my max budget  :-\

Sponsors should be able to help with resources but if there aren't enough, then a buddy is better than nothing!

LakesRegion

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:57:01 pm »

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Similar to the porc buddy program, but much more involved. I'd be interested in doing something like that, but where would we start?

LH33327

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:43:50 pm »

I too think that would be a great idea. I'm not going to move for several years as I have to finish school, but I believe it would make the move a lot easier for everyone. Perhaps the Free State Project could set up a buddy- or sponsor-matching program? People could mark whether they would like a roommate, moving buddy, etc. Then people would communicate privately through the forum, email, phone, Skype, etc. to work out logistics and other details.

Robert & Gloria

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:24 pm »

We have a program in place called PorcBuddies
It is designed for the new mover once you have moved. It is based on where you live so that you are paired up with someone in your town.
So if you are new and have already moved and want a buddy please email me at porcbuddy@freestateproject.org
We also have a new Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PorcBuddy/

As far as finding a place to move to check out http://www.nhrelocationguide.com/

Thanks, Gloria

troy

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:23:49 pm »

We have a program in place called PorcBuddies
It is designed for the new mover once you have moved. It is based on where you live so that you are paired up with someone in your town.

Hi Gloria.  This is awesome!  :D

What do you think about seeing something like this, but also for people who have not yet moved?  Matching people who are the same sex and age range?

I think the biggest burden is actually making the move itself.  Having a volunteer sponsor program (not to be confused with financial assistance) would not only increase our move rate, but cause us to be surrounded with the right people.  And for the sponsor, it strengthens their own activism.  People who volunteer to sponsor others are also helping themselves.

Sponsorship can be satisfying, knowing that we are directly helping people get to NH.  In a very real sense, it would be satisfying and probably one of the most popular ways to volunteer.

The people who have already moved to NH are already in best position to share their experience, strength and hope for the future. The most successful sponsors will probably be the men and women who have been through the move, have already been there the longest, and have a good understanding of what was involved with uprooting their lives.

Personally, I'd also like to take on the responsibility of eventually helping somebody else move here, too.

Anyway.  That's my thought.  It feels like Porcbuddies kind of rolls into the same spectrum!

For comment, I wrote up a volunteer job description for people who might be interested in helping to sponsor someone, below:

"Do everything possible (within limits of personal experience) to help a newcomer actually make the move.  Encourage and help the newcomer to attend Porcfest, register at the forums, and attend other meetings or conference calls.  Urge them to join these group functions as soon as possible.  Keeps an open mind whether or not the person will actually move to NH.  Be okay with perceived "failure."  Introduce the newcomer to other free staters.  Quickly admit, “I don’t know."  Don't try to impose slightly different personal views on the newcomer. (A good sponsor might avoid discussing theological and religious topics.)  Some sponsors might even do a casual, content to let the new person take the initiative asking questions or seeking help in special situations.  Others will probably be more hands on.  Listen to a newcomers new ideas but focus on the goal. Never become involved financially.  Realize they are the ones ultimately in charge of their outcome."

Any feedback would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:50:49 am by troy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up