Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Made the decision, moving now. Need to buy land for homesteading  (Read 1749 times)

nomadicpatrick

• FSP Participant

Hello everyone.  I have been a member of the FSP for a matter of hours, but after reading through FSP web site, it seems I have found the right path.  Finally.  I read Atlas Shrugged a few years back, and the Fountainhead earlier this year. Much of what I read seems like common sense to me, and it had a deep impact on my thinking.

I have been looking for land to homestead in VT for 2 1/2 months now (full time), and I have given up.  State restrictions make it impossible for me to buy land and pursue a simple life with the amount of cash I have to invest. It makes me sad, Looking for alternatives, I rediscovered the FSP.  A friend told me about you folks over a year ago, but I was distracted at the time.  Now I here and have new hope for my my future.

I will be heading to NH around the 15th.  I plan to do some camping, look for land in the zoning-free towns, and hopefully meet a few folks and learn more about the community and the towns. At this point, the only assistance I would ask for is that if anyone has land they would sell, or knows anyone who does, please contact me.  I have 30k in cash, and access to another 20k if necessary.  The extra 20k is a loan from a friend, and I would like to avoid the debt if possible.  My initial hope was to find around 10 acres, but I realize my limited funds may not allow this.  I would rather buy 2 to 5 acres of good land than ten acres of ledge and swamp on the north side of a ridge.

My most important land requirements are: easy access to power and DSL (or other fast, wired internet), a town maintained road (plowed in the winter), and some southern exposure.  Other factors count, but I want to keep this brief.

I have been documenting my land search on a public Facebook page called IdleWilde: https://www.facebook.com/pages/IdleWilde/1570279939920980?fref=nf

Yes, the Porcupine Fest would have been a great way for me to get to know people and network, but I heard about it too late. I have added to to my list of missed opportunities. Time to move on.

So...  any thoughts or info greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading.

ptb

• Voluntarist Freethinker
Re: Made the decision, moving now. Need to buy land for homesteading
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:16:49 am »

If you're interested in learning more about Grafton (no building code enforcement, no zoning, highest per capita of free staters), I'd be happy to give you a tour and introduce you to some folks already on their way to doing what you're interested in. Send me a message on here if you want to learn more.

- Peter

nomadicpatrick

• FSP Participant
Re: Made the decision, moving now. Need to buy land for homesteading
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »

Wow.  After days of going through online listings in my price range, I found that most of the listings in the zoning free towns had deeded restrictions against mobile homes.  My plan has been to live in my camper trailer until I can build a tiny, energy efficient house.  I was thinking of building the house on a trailer frame or a mobile home frame.  Does anyone know the legal definition of a mobile home, and who would enforce such a restriction?  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up