Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renting a room out of a house/Rent $500 or less a month?  (Read 2344 times)

JLTW

Renting a room out of a house/Rent $500 or less a month?
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »

I'm on the fence about whether I should move January 2016. That would be the earliest I can be ready. There are a lot of heavy pros and cons on both ends. I can't tell if I'm impatient- I could really build more resources if I stay in MN another 6 months or a year.

My initial housing plan is to rent a room out of a house. I've compared NH and MN prices and they look similar. The biggest difference is that NH has a lot of "weekly rent" offers that I had not heard of before.

I am extremely unpicky with where I live and in what conditions. If I can rent, especially from a vaguely connected porc, I will accept even a small bedroom. I don't have many things and will be moving in a backpack. I'm dirt poor and like it this way.
My other preferences:
1. Moderate safety. I'm okay with the occasional homeless drunk or "colorful community", but not with the constant threat of robbery and shootings.
2. Rent is cheap cheap cheap. $500/month or under, and I will be looking for the cheapest viable option so compete nicely.
3. Within a half mile of bus lines and/or biking to work, doc, and shopping is within an 8 mile radius
4. FSP meetup opportunities also within 8 mile radius/easy to get to.

The rent is the main thing. Through FSP connections and a few good rental search sites, that's my hope. It would be a deciding factor in whether I can move early or not. People have said before that "the housing market will change over that length of time", and I've been watching it stay stable over the last 2 years.

freedomroad

Re: Renting a room out of a house/Rent $500 or less a month?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:59:57 pm »

I know folks that pay $200 a month. I know folks that pay $300 a month, including utilities. I know folks that pay $400 a month including utilities. $500 a month should be easy to find, even if you don't yet have connections in NH. Are you searching on FB? https://www.facebook.com/groups/123673281001783/

Make sure you look here.
http://old.freestateproject.org/nhinfo/Housing.php

JLTW

Re: Renting a room out of a house/Rent $500 or less a month?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »

Yep, I'm part of the facebook group. I've done some of my own searching and you have only reinforced my beliefs and made it stronger.

The main problem is that I haven't posted asking about housing there because it is too far out, and watching other posts it looks like most people are renting between $700 - $1200 based on their preferences. The low-end renting doesn't get a lot of exposure. You have to search it out yourself.

I found this thing called Porc Manor, specifically to rent and share places among porcs, but it doesn't have very many options or updates.

Pages: [1]   Go Up