Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading East!  (Read 2203 times)

matt71vh

Heading East!
« on: May 16, 2015, 11:54:18 am »

Hello all, I am relatively new to the FSP and have been lurking around the forums for some time.  I decided to send out a message today because my wife and I are really close to being able to pull the trigger and move to NH.  A little background; We are lifelong California residents that have grown increasingly dissatisfied with just about everything including the HOT weather.  We really want to provide our 5 yo daughter with an opportunity to have a better experience than California has to offer and after discovering the FSP and all of the other things that NH has to offer we have decided that it is where we would like to open a new chapter in our lives.

That said, we are initially planning to move to southern NH within striking distance to Boston since Boston is more compatible with the employment we are seeking.  Moving north away from Mass is definitely in our long term plan though.  We are waiting to see if we get the job offer we have been looking into, which should happen by next week.  If that pans out we have probably a month to wrap things up here and move.  We would really like to buy and move into the new house upon our arrival, but if the timing does not work out we wondered if people here knew of a resource that could offer temporary housing for rent (say 1 - 3 months) for our family until we were able to secure our permanent home?  Also any good real estate agent references are welcome.

Also we don't know a single soul there and would love to meet new people.  Especially FSP'ers to help us deprogram from Kalifornia  LOL.

Thanks so much
Matt Hill & Family
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:35:50 pm by matt71vh »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Heading East!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:38:58 pm »

Great news! Welcome to the forum. There are some Porcupine landlords who offer temporary housing, but much of it seems geared toward single people. Still, it might be worth checking out the properties at http://www.porcmanor.com . Another resource is FSP Housing Search: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123673281001783/ . Finally, Mark Warden is a very active real estate agent in the FSP with a good bead on what's available: http://porcupinerealestate.com/ .

Hope this helps, and to see you in the Free State soon!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:50:08 pm »

Hello all, I am relatively new to the FSP and have been lurking around the forums for some time.  I decided to send out a message today because my wife and I are really close to being able to pull the trigger and move to NH.

Welcome to the FSP Forum!

A little background; We are lifelong California residents that have grown increasingly dissatisfied with just about everything including the HOT weather.  We really want to provide our 5 yo daughter with an opportunity to have a better experience than California has to offer and after discovering the FSP and all of the other things that NH has to offer we have decided that it is where we would like to open a new chapter in our lives.

That makes sense. NH offers perhaps the best quality of life in the nation. CA is very polluted, has insane traffic, very high poverty, lots of crime, insane taxes and so on, as you know :(

That said, we are initially planning to move to southern NH within striking distance to Boston since Boston is more compatible with the employment we are seeking.
That makes sense. If you are highly skilled individuals wishing to make over $100,000 a year, the 'burbs surrounding Boston or Boston itself off a lot more of those jobs than NH. The overall economy is better in NH, but even eastern MA has a much stronger economy than Cali.

We would really like to buy and move into the new house upon our arrival, but if the timing does not work out we wondered if people here knew of a resource that could offer temporary housing for rent (say 1 - 3 months) for our family until we were able to secure our permanent home?  Also any good real estate agent references are welcome.
Nashua has at least 1 apartment complex like that.

Also we don't know a single soul there and would love to meet new people.  Especially FSP'ers to help us deprogram from Kalifornia  LOL.

Thanks so much
Matt Hill & Family
Come to PorcFest or Liberty Forum. The reason the events happen is for new folks to come and check out NH, willing learning about the FSP and the liberty community in NH.
PorcFest.com

matt71vh

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »

Thanks for the information!   We are really excited and have a lot to do so every bit of help we get is greatly appreciated.

MikeyL

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:08:05 pm »

Jason, how does one find these temp options? Porc Manor?
Mikey Luther on Facebook

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:31:15 am »

Yep, Porc Manor has always been the first go-to stop for finding FSP-oriented temporary rentals. Often, all the rooms are full, though. And it's possible not all landlords have been keeping up with it. I've never used the site myself, but many others have.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:22:10 pm »

Jason, how does one find these temp options? Porc Manor?

Most most people, the temp options are come to events for years and meet folks to stay with or use a common site like craigslist or roommates.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything