Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from South Carolina!  (Read 2931 times)

EMFA89

Moving from South Carolina!
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:43 pm »

My husband and I are finally making the move!!!!!! Before we come up for another visit to sign a lease/buy a place - I was hoping to get some input on the "vibes" of different parts of Manchester and Concord. I will be working in Concord, and my husband will be between three offices (one in Concord, one in Wyndom (sp? sorry!), and one in Derry). We aren't partial to any particular area yet...but we are young (late 20's) with no kids and want to enjoy where we are living without a huge commute to any of his offices. For his interview we spent a lot of time in Concord and got a "feel" for it - so if you're able...more information on Manchester and its surrounding areas would be great. Thanks in advance!!! We can't wait to live free  ;D

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Moving from South Carolina!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:03:39 pm »

Awesome! My wife grew up in SC. We are out in the Upper Valley, though, so can't give you a tremendous amount of insight on the Concord-Manchester region, although we travel there frequently. I believe Allenstown is the cheapest town in that area, & Manchester is also pretty affordable, while the suburbs have higher home values and taxes. There are a good many Porcupines in that whole area, including both of the cities, Bedford, New Boston, Weare, Henniker, Hopkinton, Goffstown, Pembroke, & Chichester, to name a few.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

mjping

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:21:58 pm »

I'm glad to hear you've made the decision to move. Manchester will give you the most options for rentals followed by Concord. Anywhere outside of the cities will be more difficult to find a house to rent.  It's not impossible but more difficult and may take more time to find something you like. I would recommend you rent an apartment in Manchester for the short term on a month to month lease. That gives you the option to figure out if you like Manchester or if you want to move elsewhere. 

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:47:56 pm »

My husband and I are finally making the move!!!!!! Before we come up for another visit to sign a lease/buy a place - I was hoping to get some input on the "vibes" of different parts of Manchester and Concord. I will be working in Concord, and my husband will be between three offices (one in Concord, one in Wyndom (sp? sorry!), and one in Derry). We aren't partial to any particular area yet...but we are young (late 20's) with no kids and want to enjoy where we are living without a huge commute to any of his offices. For his interview we spent a lot of time in Concord and got a "feel" for it - so if you're able...more information on Manchester and its surrounding areas would be great. Thanks in advance!!! We can't wait to live free  ;D

Manchester has a lot of cheap areas. Most of them look cheap, and might be ugly. Still, it's the major city for Porc. activities because it's the only largeish city in NH, and is so affordable. If you are okay living somewhere that doesn't look nice and can find a place with off street parking, it's a great place to be. Every single town that borders Manchester is generally more expensive, but has better schools (higher property tax bills) and leans Republicans.

Concord closes at night, but you could always drive to Manchester. The issue of living in the Concord area is the morning traffic pattern. If you husband has to be at work at 8am, he might notice more delays driving from Concord to Windham, then driving north. Maybe just a few minutes in good weather with no accidents.

Hooksett or Allenstown might be good options. Hooksett has a lot of cool things to do for such a low populated town, it is just north of Manchester and has 3 north/south roads for commuting options. Allenstown especially if you want to live in the country, but that increases the commuting for your husband. It isn't geared for renting, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything