Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couple from Maryland considering the move  (Read 3432 times)

RP2016

Couple from Maryland considering the move
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:41:28 pm »

Hi I am new to the forum and the movement. I have been a Libertarian since college, but have not officially joined any liberty-minded groups. My wife, baby, and I currently live around Baltimore and have lived in Maryland our whole lives. We have visited New Hampshire and love the beautiful scenery. Even though Maryland has a good job market and some nice scenery of its own (if you get away from the city), it is also plagued by an overbearing state government. A move for us would be 1-3 years out, and I was wondering if there is anyone else on here in Maryland or Southern PA that is also considering the move.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Couple from Maryland considering the move
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:57:04 pm »

We used to have a big contingent of FSP'ers in that area, but most of them have moved.  :D One of them is now a state rep. The FSP merchandise master, Phil Denisch, still lives in Maryland. Occasionally there are events in the area. There was a big FSP contingent at ISFLC a few days ago.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:02:17 am »

I went to college at University of Maryland College Park. Loved the college, hated Maryland.

Love living in New Hampshire though.

RP2016

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:54:12 pm »

Is College Park the only area of Maryland you lived in? I don't really like that D.C. suburb area either. North of Baltimore is decent once you get away from the city, but if it were as nice as New Hampshire I wouldn't be planning to move there :)

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »

Yes, it's the only area I lived in. I know there are nicer parts of Maryland once you get away from the cities. But still, the statism was just way too strong in Maryland for my liking. 

James D.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:36 pm »

Welcome, RP! If you decide to take a visit up this way, be sure to post it here, and you'll be greeted by a happy gaggle of liberty folk basically wherever you go.

And contrary to some perceptions, many of us have partners and babies as well. Especially out here on the Seacoast! Hope to see you soon.

RP2016

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:09:55 pm »

I think we are going to try to come up there this summer to visit. Is Lake Winnipesaukee a good place to rent a house for a week in the summer?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:15:49 pm »

I think we are going to try to come up there this summer to visit. Is Lake Winnipesaukee a good place to rent a house for a week in the summer?

That's a high-demand time for that location, but then... there's a good reason for the high demand for that location then. I have found that renting cabins for summer is something you need to do months in advance, in general, for good selection. FYI.

If all you want to do is have a home base in the middle of the state to explore all over, then you might want to try to rent a place in a college town instead, where the demand is low during the summer. Plymouth?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

RP2016

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:18:29 am »

We want to see everything and make a vacation out of it. At the same time though we want to just make sure that we do indeed want to live there. I've been to New Hampshire twice, but both times I was only there for a few days. My wife also wants to be within driving distance of Portland because we tried that duck fat place during our last road trip and she loves it (I know that is in Maine not New Hampshire but it is delicious).

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:52:36 am »

I see... Maybe look into a place like Conway? Ski towns are probably also a little down in the summer, & that one is right on the Maine border.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 03:06:40 pm »

We want to see everything and make a vacation out of it. At the same time though we want to just make sure that we do indeed want to live there. I've been to New Hampshire twice, but both times I was only there for a few days. My wife also wants to be within driving distance of Portland because we tried that duck fat place during our last road trip and she loves it (I know that is in Maine not New Hampshire but it is delicious).

Almost anywhere in NH is within a couple of hours of Portland, easy enough driving distance for a special restaurant trip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything