Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laws in NH that need to be changed  (Read 4681 times)

ZR3

Laws in NH that need to be changed
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:41:29 am »

There are a number of improvements/changes to to current laws that could make NH a better state:

1 - Repeal laws that prohibit people from owning exotic pets such as alligators
2 - Enact a ban on the sale and trade of shark fins (NH currently allows this unethical practice) -- 100 million sharks are killed by people each year and shark fin soup is largely responsible for this -- this unsustainable behavior has been wreaking havoc on the environment
3 - Enact a law allowing for the full legalization of recreational marijuana for adults (similar to Colorado) -- NH currently bans this and it shouldn't
4 - Repeal New Hampshire's antiquated and unconstitutional law prohibiting incest between consenting adults (also repeal NH's law prohibiting marriage between cousins) -- these practices are legal in other states such as Vermont but are irrationally illegal in NH
5 - Enact a ban on the hunting of black bears, as it is cruel and unethical to hunt and kill apex predators
6 - Repeal laws that ban the Buddhist burial practice of "sky burial" (removal of body by exposure), and have these religious practices regulated by the state
7 - Deregulate homeschooling so it is similar to western states like Wyoming
8 - Decriminalize prostitution and have it regulated by the state or counties within the state (similar to Nevada)
9 - Lower property tax rates so that all towns have it as low as Hale's Location NH or Hart's Location NH (right now property taxes are especially high in the southern part of NH -- Claremont currently has the highest rate of any town in the state)
10 - Repeal NH's law prohibiting prisoners from voting
11 - Decrease NH's incarceration rate so that it is the lowest in the country (other states such as Maine currently have lower incarceration rates than NH)
12 - Decriminalize public nudity (Vermont has done this, NH hasn't)

I'm starting to get tired of years and years going by with no NH legislators taking any action on any of the above issues (except marijuana). And even with marijuana, there are too many statists in the NH government that want to prohibit it, including governor Hassan (which is annoying, because recreational marijuana would be hugely beneficial).

Basically the state is currently interfering with people's personal liberties (such as owning exotic pets) while also allowing things that should not be allowed (such as the sale of shark fins).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:13:38 pm by ZR3 »

Auspicious Aspect

Re: Laws in NH that need to be changed
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:00:43 am »

There are a number of improvements/changes to to current laws that could make NH a better state:

1 - Repeal laws that prohibit people from owning exotic pets such as alligators
2 - Enact a ban on the sale and trade of shark fins (NH currently allows this unethical practice) -- 100 million sharks are killed by people each year and shark fin soup is largely responsible for this -- this unsustainable behavior has been wreaking havoc on the environment
3 - Enact a law allowing for the full legalization of recreational marijuana for adults (similar to Colorado) -- NH currently bans this and it shouldn't
4 - Repeal New Hampshire's antiquated and unconstitutional law prohibiting incest between consenting adults (also repeal NH's law prohibiting marriage between cousins) -- these practices are legal in other states such as Vermont but are irrationally illegal in NH
5 - Enact a ban on the hunting of black bears, as it is cruel and unethical to hunt and kill apex predators
6 - Repeal laws that ban the Buddhist burial practice of "sky burial" (removal of body by exposure), and have these religious practices regulated by the state
7 - Deregulate homeschooling so it is similar to western states like Wyoming
8 - Decriminalize prostitution and have it regulated by the state or counties within the state (similar to Nevada)
9 - Lower property tax rates so that all towns have it as low as Hale's Location NH or Hart's Location NH (right now property taxes are especially high in the southern part of NH -- Claremont currently has the highest rate of any town in the state)
10 - Repeal NH's law prohibiting prisoners from voting
11 - Decrease NH's incarceration rate so that it is the lowest in the country (other states such as Maine currently have lower incarceration rates than NH)
12 - Decriminalize public nudity (Vermont has done this, NH hasn't)

I'm starting to get tired of years and years going by with no NH legislators taking any action on any of the above issues (except marijuana). And even with marijuana, there are too many statists in the NH government that want to prohibit it, including governor Hassan (which is annoying, because recreational marijuana would be hugely beneficial to the state).

Basically the state is currently interfering with people's personal liberties (such as owning exotic pets) while also allowing things that should not be allowed (such as the sale of shark fins).

It's interesting that you want to add some freedoms but then restrict some others. It sounds like you generally approve of the idea of oppressive government, you just want it to oppress other people.

Of course, your point would be made better if you made reference to the specific laws you would like to see changed. Here, I'll help with #10. There is no such prohibition. Incarcerated prisoners may indeed vote in state elections. That's RSA 654:2-a.

eh?

• Just living is not enough.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:25:26 am »

...because... ....hugely beneficial to the state .....

Why would you advocate anything based on it being even slightlly beneficial to the state? For me, that's a very likely to be a very strong negative.  I am not saying you can't make a case to the contrary, tho I have my doubts.

Just curious.
To advocate compulsory taxation (there is no other kind) is to advocate aggressive violence.
Rare indeed seem those who would rather the lash were banished utterly from human interaction save in defense of self and property
than the haft thereof find on convenient occasion its lawful place nestled comfortably in their own grasp.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:13:07 pm »

I'm starting to get tired of years and years going by with no NH legislators taking any action on any of the above issues (except marijuana). And even with marijuana, there are too many statists in the NH government that want to prohibit it, including governor Hassan (which is annoying, because recreational marijuana would be hugely beneficial to the state).

Have you asked a legislator to submit a bill to do any of those things? I asked legislators to submit bills for me last year. They did it. With so many legislators in NH, it is easy to be friends with a few of them. Even if you aren't friends with a legislator, contact several of them and ask that they put in a bill for you. It might work.

ZR3

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:36:29 pm »

It's interesting that you want to add some freedoms but then restrict some others. It sounds like you generally approve of the idea of oppressive government, you just want it to oppress other people.

Of course, your point would be made better if you made reference to the specific laws you would like to see changed. Here, I'll help with #10. There is no such prohibition. Incarcerated prisoners may indeed vote in state elections. That's RSA 654:2-a.

I am against oppressive government -- prohibitions against things such as shark fins and bear hunting are not pro-[oppressive government] because they are about including animals in the realm of protection and moral consideration that humans enjoy. If a human has the right to live out his/her life and be treated with value, so should a bear. Those who are against oppressive government probably are still in favor of laws that prohibit harm to humans -- this principle of non-harm should be extended to other species as well. It is important to note that such a prohibition is not based purely on morality, it is based on actual harm/destruction (i.e. killing a being).

Most people would probably consider a position of pro-[legal marijuana], pro-prostitution, pro-[low property taxes], pro-[deregulated homeschooling] and pro-[freedom-to-choose-one's-pet] to be anti-[oppressive government], i.e. favoring the liberty of individuals and decreasing authoritarian control.

With regard to NH's policy on allowing/preventing prisoners from voting, this is the source I found saying that only Vermont and Maine allow prisoners to vote:

http://blogs.kqed.org/lowdown/2014/02/26/felon-voting

According to the article:

"Each state has its own felon voting laws, and all but two — Maine and Vermont are the only states that allow prisoners to vote —  have some kind of disenfranchisement law that prevents current or former offenders from casting their ballots.

The article claims that as of 2010 there are 2,945 individuals in New Hampshire who are disenfranchised.

Also, there is this article:

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286

According to the above article, Vermont and Maine are the only states which are completely "unrestricted" -- New Hampshire is listed in the "vote restored after incarceration" column.

But as you pointed out, NH RSA 654:2-a says prisoners in New Hampshire can vote, so I am confused. Maybe only felon inmates are prevented from voting.

Quote from: eh?
Why would you advocate anything based on it being even slightlly beneficial to the state? For me, that's a very likely to be a very strong negative.  I am not saying you can't make a case to the contrary, tho I have my doubts.

Typo -- I meant hugely beneficial to people in the state, not the state itself.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »

If laws to protect animals are justified (a complicated topic on which I don't have a fully settled view), then laws prohibiting exotic pets can be justified to prevent their release into the wild. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_pythons_in_Florida http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2014/11/22/invasive-turtle-problem-just-alligator-snappers/19356537/ http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0928_040928_bullfrog.html
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:58:17 am »

I am against oppressive government -- prohibitions against things such as shark fins and bear hunting are not pro-[oppressive government] because they are about including animals in the realm of protection and moral consideration that humans enjoy. If a human has the right to live out his/her life and be treated with value, so should a bear. Those who are against oppressive government probably are still in favor of laws that prohibit harm to humans -- this principle of non-harm should be extended to other species as well. It is important to note that such a prohibition is not based purely on morality, it is based on actual harm/destruction (i.e. killing a being).

Where do you draw the line to differentiate between those "beings" that deserve protection, and those that may be used/harvested/consumed by those higher up the food chain?

ZR3

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 09:48:21 am »

If laws to protect animals are justified (a complicated topic on which I don't have a fully settled view), then laws prohibiting exotic pets can be justified to prevent their release into the wild. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_pythons_in_Florida http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2014/11/22/invasive-turtle-problem-just-alligator-snappers/19356537/ http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0928_040928_bullfrog.html

Burmese pythons could never survive New Hampshire's cold winters. The problems associated with Burmese pythons are mainly confined to southern Florida. Similarly, other reptiles (alligators, lizards, snakes, etc.) could not survive New Hampshire's cold winters. Because of this, there is no justification for a law prohibiting private ownership of these animals in New Hampshire. One could justify a law prohibiting some other kind of invasive species (such as NH's ban on invasive tree species such as the Norway Maple), but not a ban on alligators (which it currently has).

Additionally, bullfrogs are native to New Hampshire, so that is not an issue for NH.

Quote from: auspicious aspect
Where do you draw the line to differentiate between those "beings" that deserve protection, and those that may be used/harvested/consumed by those higher up the food chain?

In order to be consistent, humans should avoid using/harvesting/consuming ANY animal species. Only a few exceptions should be made (for example, feeding an animal to a pet, but even this could be debated). The current industrial system of factory farms slaughtering billions of animals on a massive scale should not exist.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:59:15 am by ZR3 »

lildog

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:51 pm »

Personally I'd be more worried about someone who doesn't know how to care for an exotic animal that could harm or kill other people putting others at risk.  Knowing people who've worked in zoos, even with proper training some animals can be very dangerous.

TJames

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 01:43:50 pm »

I want infant circumcision banned. I am also a voluntaryist and think that the ban should come from the culture. The government follows the culture and doesn't even need to exist.
The case for not buying palm oil grown in Sumatra is well made. Farming palm oil in Norther Sumatra is destructive to the habitat of the second most intelligent species and a close relative of us humans, the orangutan. Making a field for palm oil washes away a thick layer of rainforest top soil and damages the ability of the Earth's biomass to absorb carbon from our atmosphere. To me the rainforest and the few remaining orangutan brothers are worth more than the palm oil.
I'm sure some animals have rights and we can have a society along side theirs. An outright ban on bear hunting would be ridiculous and it is only suggested by flatlanders who don't understand the local ecosystem. Animal rights is an issue that needs to be thought out and discussed until the culture is ready.
There are some freedoms the government allows, but just because we have that freedom it doesn't mean we should take that freedom. Some things may not be illegal to the government, but they are illegal to our friends and they will stop talking to us if we do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up