Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CT Resident looking to leave for NH Need Advice  (Read 2904 times)

aoj1902

CT Resident looking to leave for NH Need Advice
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »

My name is Andrew, I have a wife and a 7 month old son.  My wife and I were born and raised in CT and now we both see the big picture of what is actually happening in this state.  The electric rates, the property taxes, cost of food, well pretty much everything.  I am a well experienced automotive mechanic that has worked on everything and I have also been a service manager.   I am currently trying to find a good paying job but with the costs of living here and I cant seem to find a company that wants to pay well.  We have been house hunting in CT but my gut is telling me to not go that route where I would be stuck here.  Besides the income tax general sales tax and how is the cost of living? Food, heat, electricity? Job outlook? Just some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.  Government is getting too big and is trying to destroy the working class aka middle class.  Thank you
 :)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: CT Resident looking to leave for NH Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:28:56 pm »

Unfortunately, all of New England has been hit with the recent rate increases due to natural gas pipeline issues, as I understand it. Having lived in CT once, I'd say housing and food are cheaper here in NH, but heating is probably the same for homeowners.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

aoj1902

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:33:21 pm »

thats what wood burning stoves will be used for with me.  my rate in CT is .095 cents per kilowatt hr
i think New Hampshire is around .055?

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:47:34 pm »

Don't worry Kinder Morgan is trying to fix the NG problem.  They plan to bury a big fat pipe (via eminent domain) in my brother-in-law's back yard down in MA.  Gotta love MA, they are also trying to do the same in Hollis NH for the Nashua spur of the pipeline and they don't seem to think article 12-a of the NH constitution will stop them.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:47 pm »

Besides the income tax general sales tax and how is the cost of living? Food, heat, electricity? Job outlook? Just some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.  Government is getting too big and is trying to destroy the working class aka middle class.  Thank you
 :)

Welcome to the FSP Forum!

The COL is lower in NH. Of course, it depends on the area. CT has lots of extremely expensive areas. CT also has lots of areas filled with poor people. NH is more middle class with a lot less extremes.

NH has a lower unemployment rate than CT. The states around NH (VT and ME) also have a lower unemployment rate than the states around CT (RI and NY). In fact, doesn't RI have nearly the highest unemployment rate in the nation? VT has the lowest in the East.

The best place to start your job search is here.
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=11718.0

A great place to start your rental/housing search is here.
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=23669.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything