Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local races  (Read 8184 times)

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Local races
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:52 am »

Republicans may not have done that well in NH for the national offices but it seems they did well on a local level: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2014/general/by_state/state_sen_house/NH.html?SITE=WMURTVELN&SECTION=POLITICS  Not sure if this is good or bad.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:10:14 am by Bazil »
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Local races
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:36:21 am »

Someone said 20 Free Staters won and 77 NHLA-endorsed candidates won.

Overall, don't expect that much change out of the legislature. Marijuana reform will continue to die both because of the governor and because of the gerontocracy in the Senate GOP caucus. However, asset forfeiture reform, occupational licensing reform, & small-beer personal freedom items may do well. Taxes and spending will be kept low.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Bazil

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:38 am »

At the moment I think the best we can hope to do is stop damaging bills.  As long as the number of liberty leaning reps is greater than the difference between the two parties we should be good.  That should pretty much allow them to put a stop to any bad bill.  I don't think we'll see change or movement back towards sanity until a few elections after the move is triggered.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:49:10 pm »

Taxes and spending will be kept low.

I wish people would stop saying this and pushing this falsehood in an poor economic environment where so many people are hurting for jobs.

New Hampshire has the absolute worst corporate taxes in New England.  New Hampshire not only taxes corporate profit, but even just
corporate revenue.  For small entrepreneurs trying to start lifestyle companies to support themselves and their families, they can face
quadruple taxation of the meager amount of money that they company earns under New Hampshire law. New Hampshire accountants
and Lawyers regularly tell entrepreneurs to incorporate in Massachusetts and move their companies across the border due to the much
better environment for start-ups there. 

The reality is that New Hampshire has no jobs, the worst (slowest growing) economy in New England, and young people fleeing in droves
after college because New Hampshire is hostile to entrepreneurs and businesses. New Hampshire legislators do not want companies or
jobs to come into New Hampshire and actively work to keep them out.

One of the key reasons the Free State Project failed to be successful in attracting enough movers before the time windowed expired is
because of the very limited employment opportunities here caused by the insanely structure and high corporate taxes. Many of the Free
States that have moved have either taken minimum wage service jobs in the food and tourism industry or taken jobs in other states (primarily
Massachusetts which is leaving NH in the dust for all measure of entrepreneurship, job creation, and start-up innovation).

As for personal taxes, like many Free Staters, mine are higher after moving to New Hampshire than they were. I moved from Massachusetts
to New Hampshire. Due to the lack of any significant employers or tech start-ups in New Hampshire  (due the insanely corporate taxes and
anti-business mentality) I still have to work in Mass. So, I pay high Mass income tax and ultra-on-the-crack-pipe-level NH property taxes. I
also miss out on Mass tax income tax breaks for rent and other things.

Let's stop saying NH is low tax when it's the worst tax-wise in the reason. It's disingenuous and just makes us look silly. It's like constantly
hyping NH for not having a sales tax when NH has the highest(?) tax in the region on prepared food. What do young professionals spend
most of the their money on these days? Rent/Mortgage and prepared food (you don't have time to cook when you have to commute to
Boston everyday due to anti-corporate/anti-capitalism laws and taxes in NH).  So, I actually pay more sales tax in NH than I did in MA
despite the lack of a broad based sales tax.

If we're going to try and attract people to NH based on tax levels, we really need to try and lower taxes. We need to at least not be the
highest taxed, least innovative, most stagnant, and lowest growth in the region. People are smart enough to see through those lies.

We're not showing people how a libertarian state is better. We're showing them how we delude our selves and pay higher taxes than
everyone else around us.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »

NH's taxes are overall low: http://taxfoundation.org/article/annual-state-local-tax-burden-ranking-fy-2011 The overall business tax climate is also very good: http://taxfoundation.org/article/2015-state-business-tax-climate-index NH continues to attract residents, on net, from Massachusetts. Of course we can make improvements; that's the whole point of the FSP. I am sorry you're having trouble making ends meet - maybe go out to eat less? We cook at home almost every meal and enjoy lower food costs and better nutrition as a result.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:04:44 pm by JasonPSorens »
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:03:38 pm »

NH's taxes are overall low: http://taxfoundation.org/article/annual-state-local-tax-burden-ranking-fy-2011 The overall business tax climate is also very good: http://taxfoundation.org/article/2015-state-business-tax-climate-index NH continues to attract residents, on net, from Massachusetts. Of course we can make improvements; that's the whole point of the FSP. I am sorry you're having trouble making ends meet - maybe go out to eat less? We cook at home almost every meal and enjoy lower food costs and better nutrition as a result.

With 1st being best and 50th being the worst, you consider 30th in the nation (and 6th in New England) to be very good? And, "overall low"?

So, you don't own a business.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:06:21 pm by anon37268573 »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:29:45 pm »

NH is 7th best in the nation for overall business tax climate.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:46 am »

NH is 7th best in the nation for overall business tax climate.

Not according to any study I've ever seen. That's absolutely certainly not true based on the
hard math of tax rates. We're in 30th place with out even accounting for things like the
insanely high property tax. Maybe some one used some "soft numbers" to adjust the
states' "tax climate"  (what ever a tax climate is) to get the resulted they wanted.

NH is horrible for business and that's why no young people stay here and more than 10
years on we can't attract the number of movers or signers that the project set out to.

People that are founding their own businesses know better than to come to high tax
New Hampshire.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:21 am »

I just gave you a link to the study that says that. But you're apparently impervious to evidence.

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:15 pm »

Republicans won somewhere around 65% to 70% of the races in NH. We will know more next week when the recount results are posted.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:32:35 am by 1DayAtATime »

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 06:02:28 pm »

I just gave you a link to the study that says that. But you're apparently impervious to evidence.

Your link says that New Hampshire ranks 48th for corporate taxes!

F-O-U-R-T-Y E-I-G-H-T-H !!!

It says it's almost the absolute worst in the entire United States of America.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:07:11 pm by anon37268573 »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »

Yes, the business profits tax needs significant improvement.

Bazil

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »

Your link says that New Hampshire ranks 48th for corporate taxes!

F-O-U-R-T-Y E-I-G-H-T-H !!!

It says it's almost the absolute worst in the entire United States of America.

But 7 overall in business tax rank.  Because corporate taxes don't tell the whole business tax story.  For instance, something that isn't even mentioned (in regards to NH and MA) there is inventory tax, MA has it and NH doesn't.  So if you run a company that holds a large or expensive inventory you could save a ton of money be being in NH.  Like Jason pointed out overall taxes and spending in NH overall are very low, one of the lowest in the nation.  You were the one to mention corporate taxes in particular, Jason didn't mention it in his comment and his comment wasn't misleading.  Overall NH is very good, especially for the region. Not to say NH can't be improved, position #48 on the corporate tax rate is hopefully something people brought to NH by the FSP can help fix!  If we can improve where NH is bad (corporate, property, rooms and meals taxes) NH will quickly shoot to the top of all the lists for favorable tax climates!

The issue you point out for NH being unable to attract movers because of few job opportunities would be a problem in any of the states the FSP could have selected because a low population state was a prerequisite.  NH has a major advantage because it's commutable to Boston, so it can be near a major city (which provides many jobs) without the politics of that major city controlling the agenda for the whole state!

Also when it comes to living in NH and working in MA (which I do and commute about an hour) I get a large overall advantage by living in NH, and make more money over all than I would if I lived in MA.  Factoring in more than just taxes.  For instance if you just look at taxes according to valuation than most NH towns look bad.  However property valuations are generally lower in NH.  I spend much less for my property taxes in NH than my coworkers who live and MA and own a similar house (actually not as big or with as much property) because my valuation is 1/3rd theirs.  Also insurance (car and health) in NH isn't mandatory, which can be gigantic savings if you're in the position not to hold one, the other or either.  If you aren't they are way cheaper than surrounding states.  I pay the less for full coverage on my car as I did for just liability when I lived in Maine.  I agree with you 100% it stinks to live in NH and work in MA, especially because I lose out big time with the income tax.  However the position I'm in gives me the ability to look for another job that fits me in NH while I still live in NH, without having the stress of having no job at all.

So a final note, NH isn't the best in everything, but it's pretty good overall and was certainly the best target for the FSP, which is why we are here!  We should all try and help make it better!

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 10:35:41 am »

anon you sound more like a defeatist than a realist although if you live here you get some slack.   Living here a long time I guess it's easy to remember the pre-Lynch days, the days before bush made NH people start voting anti GOP.  Back then obviously things were even better.  They will again be better; it's almost inevitable. Give the political free staters some time  to recover from that damage, they weren't in much of a position to start making much difference until 2008.

Also rather than complaining, if you were to detail all the things you've done to make things better, and provide evidence links, that would make you sound more like a realist and less like a defeatist!
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

TJames

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 04:03:46 pm »

Have political free staters set a mental target on the merits of the interest and dividends tax? Has that any year ever been a one common spoken issue for every free stater running for the state house?
Pages: [1]   Go Up