Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from the Buckeye State!  (Read 2315 times)

HannahGS

Greetings from the Buckeye State!
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:43:40 am »

Hello there!=^_^= The Free State Project is a recent discovery of mine. While I love the concept of the free state project, and am looking saving money for a future relocation to New Hampshire, it's not something that I can manage at the moment.

A couple reasons why I am a libertarian.

I have always identified myself as liberal, to me, I felt giving people rights and protecting those rights is the very essence of liberalism. I have always felt it is disgusting to tell someone what to do with his or her body. My parents taught me killing is wrong, bullying someone is wrong,hurting someone is wrong, and taking something that isn't yours is wrong, I just extend that to government. I like to think libertarians never forgot preschool ethics.    

Another reason why I identify libertarianism the government denies my identity as female. It is really disheartening that on any application I have to check male because some people claiming to be "The State of New York" claimed that I am male on a piece of paper. To me, the libertarian response to someone wanting claim he or she is a different gender would be like, well at least it would concern governments "okay, whateves." In Ohio, there is no recognition of anything but the birth assigned sex.I believe the law in New York is you have to have hormone therapy and SRS.What if you're afraid of surgery or can't afford it or you can't take hormones?You're just stuck with the goverment saying you're a male or female.   I haven't seen much on the subject particularly with regard to libertarianism  but I feel if you assert that a person owns himself or herself then that makes him or her the sole decider of his or her identity what "the self" is and identifying as something else is to disregard that person's autonomy.

While I would love to see change in my home state I don't see it happening anytime soon, and I love the idea of active participation involved in the pledge.I feel like I was in New Hampshire's more democratic environment, I would be more willing to be active in politics.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:12:36 am by HannahGS »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Greetings from the Buckeye State!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:32 am »

I don't know what NH's laws are on getting one's new sex recognized by the government, but I wouldn't be surprised if our laws were more liberal than OH's. NH is not a highly Democratic state; it is considered just "+1 Democratic" in presidential elections, so in a left-right sense it pretty much reflects the country as a whole. But on personal freedom issues, NH is distinctively libertarian.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

HannahGS

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:52:09 am »

Sorry, I wrote Democrat with a big d when I meant democratic with a little d. Meaning not the party affiliation Democratic like "He's a Democrat." but the sense of democratic nature of relating to democracy. I've read that The New Hampshire General Court is paid $100 per year. To me, it lessens the attractiveness of being a career politician.

Also, the democratic sense I was thinking about was that due to the large body of four hundred Representatives in House of Representatives and New Hampshire low population it averages that for every representative represents about 3,300 constitutes.From those numbers it seems feasible, to me,for candidates to actually talk to people about what matters instead of having thirty second commercials with your family saying how good a you are.

If were to contrast that with Ohio's General Assembly where in the House of Reps there are ninety-nine members with Ohio's elven and half million some people that works out to something like 116,000 constitutes per rep.

Another interesting thing is if the United States House of Representatives had the same representation as New Hampshire's The Capitol building would be crammed with over 99,000 representatives!

And from what little I have been hearing about New Hampshirerites (?) they are more open to active politics than in other states.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:21:24 am by HannahGS »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:17:56 am »

Yes, the NH legislature is highly representative. Also, local control is very important. Counties are weak here; most local issues are decided at the town level. Towns differ dramatically in their tax rates and spending per person, so it's comparatively easy to choose a town with a mix of taxes and services that you like.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

HannahGS

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »

Yeah, I saw that property taxes could vary wildly by  which city you live in.

The more I was thinking about it, the more I felt like committing to the idea.So I decided to sign the pledge. 

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »

Yeah, I saw that property taxes could vary wildly by  which city you live in.

The more I was thinking about it, the more I felt like committing to the idea.So I decided to sign the pledge. 

Great! Welcome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything