Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Escape From Florida  (Read 4035 times)

politisphere

Escape From Florida
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

Hello everyone,

As you can tell from the subject line, my husband and I live in Florida and are itching to leave. Long story short, we have both lived in Vermont; my husband is a native New Yorker and I have lived in many places, including Massachusetts. We do not currently have any children but we do have 2 kitties. When we lived in Vermont, we seriously considered moving to NH (we've visited on several occasions), but instead we moved to Florida for work. Big mistake. We love New England and are very eager to return. After we heard about the FSP, we took another look at NH. My husband is an HVAC technician and has sent out numerous resumes. I write for my political blog and am active in politics. We think the FSP is terrific and we love the idea of living among people who share similar ideals. So I have a few questions:

1. Where do most Free Staters live?

2. Is it easy to make friends among Free Staters? We like the idea of living in a community of like minded people. We did not experience that in Vermont.

3. Similarly, are there a lot of FSP events or is it more like "once you're here its every man/woman to his/herself"? Is it easy to get involved in the community?

4. How hard is it to get work out of state? We are looking to move to NH within a month.

5. Where do most FSP social events take place? We want to live in the thick of things. We are very social and enjoy meeting new people, going out and living life.

6. Have any of you moved from Florida or the South (I grew up in Texas)? If so, how are you liking it?

7. Where we live in Florida is not the safest place. Are there any areas that cause concern for safety that should be avoided? Do you generally feel safe in NH?

8. How's the food? We like to eat :)

Thank you all so much. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Alexis

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
Re: Escape From Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:35:44 pm »

1. Manchester

2. Yes, although any time you get a bunch of super-opinionated activists together there's also bound to be a lot of infighting.

3. There are too many events to go to them all. You'll never even scratch the surface of all of the events.

4. Don't know.

5. Manchester, but there are events and communities of Free Staters all over, including North Country.

6. There are more early movers from Florida and California than any other. I think it's a pretty close race as to which state is higher, but if I had to take a guess I'd say Florida. I'm a CA refugee myself.

7. New Hampshire is very safe relatively speaking. Manchester is the least safe, but even then what Manchester considers dangerous is a walk in the park compared to what you're used to.

8. The food is my biggest criticism of New Hampshire. CA has amazing food all over the place, and lots of excellent ethnic food. New Hampshire is a desert for quality food. A lot of people would disagree with me on this, but I don't think they know what good ethnic food really is. Your mileage may vary.

Overall, I highly recommend moving to New Hampshire. It's a wonderful place to live filled with tons of like-minded individuals. Very happy living here. The restaurants are my only complaint.

b2b_dna

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:26:11 pm »

I split time between NH and FL (I consider myself a friend of the fsp).  I think food is better here in NH.  I agree with west coasters that NH is terrible for Asian & Mexican cuisine, and fine dining in general.  I lived 10 years in Seattle, compared to which Florida is equally awful.  But in NH, you will find more concern for local, organic, authentic foods.  A bad NH farmstand kicks the stuffing out of a Publix produce section.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:36:04 pm »

What area of Floridia are ya in ?
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

politisphere

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:37:35 pm »

We are in Jacksonville.

One more question: How does one find out about FSP events in one's area? I've seen here that different areas have local FSP events and am curious as to how they're publicized.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:41:05 am »

7. Where we live in Florida is not the safest place. Are there any areas that cause concern for safety that should be avoided? Do you generally feel safe in NH?

New Hampshire has one of the lowest violent crime rates on the entire planet (having the least-restrictive gun laws in the entire Western world probably has something to do with that).  There's virtually nowhere safer.

Quite good.  In addition to a large fraction of the population being "foodies," there are local farms everywhere, and even dinky little diners will frequently sport local produce and meats, simply because the farm is a mile away and the farmer is willing to give them a good price.  For example, we went for Italian with some friends from NYC, who were astounded by the pesto sauce; the fact that the basil had been picked an hour before the sauce was made (rather than having been shipped in from hundreds or thousands of miles away, over several days' time) meant that it was like nothing they'd ever experienced before, despite being from one of the "best" areas for those who enjoy good food.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »

We are in Jacksonville.

One more question: How does one find out about FSP events in one's area? I've seen here that different areas have local FSP events and am curious as to how they're publicized.

Ah I was hoping you were closer, I am in Port St Lucie now visiting mom.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Alexis

7. The entire state is safe. Manchester would be the "least safe," but that is relative. There are no parts of Manchester that you can't walk through, say, late Friday night in the summer.

8. Food is generally good. Manchester is more casual dining and ethnic, and the food scene mostly revolves around drinking as much as eating. There is more fine dining in Portsmouth. In any case, restaurant owners tend to be fairly responsive to thoughtful customer comments and suggestions.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:45 am »

In any case, restaurant owners tend to be fairly responsive to thoughtful customer comments and suggestions.

You know, thinking back, I can't recall ever making a request of a chef that wasn't done, unless they didn't actually have the ingredients necessary for my notion.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

lildog

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:29 am »

4. How hard is it to get work out of state? We are looking to move to NH within a month.

What do you do for a living?

politisphere

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:15 pm »

My husband is an HVAC technician. I'm a blogger and am very active in politics.

My husband does have a phone interview today - fingers crossed!

Thank you all so much for all of your helpful info!

politisphere

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »

By any chance, do any Free Staters do crossfit? If so, where? I've been doing it for a few months and am hooked.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:47:33 pm »

I don't, but I know some do. There's one in downtown Lebanon.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

GryphynB

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »

I'm in the Tampa area myself, hoping to get up north to job hunt very soon. Perhaps we can share a moving van if our moving plans sync up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up