Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: fugitives from California  (Read 7699 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: fugitives from California
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 12:00:06 pm »

You couldn't pay me to even visit.
Case closed.

Indeed.  Some of us don't have irrational attachments to Statist hell-holes that cause us to blindly denigrate New Hampshire.

And the fact that you ignored everything else that was said just demonstrates the irrationality of your position.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »

Your appeal to authority meant nothing to me.

Also, the whole world is a statist hell hole. I wasn't in any way pumping up the State of California.

It's about geography. China is a lot closer to California than New Hampshire. California has a long history of Chinese immigrants. New Hampshire doesn't. Mexico borders California. There a way more Mexicans in California than there are New Hampshire, and as a result there are way more Mexican restaurants and the quality is higher.

These facts are undeniable.

Now, as to who has the better food overall, this is a subjective argument. There is no "truth" either way. It all comes down to individual preference.

My own experience is that I've lived in the USA and Europe and lived in California, Oregon, Maryland, and New Hampshire. And from my personal experience, the west coast has way better ethnic food. Obviously big cities like Boston, New York, etc, are going to have Chinatowns, etc. where the food will be better. But we're not talking about Boston or New York. We're talking about New Hampshire. And New Hampshire has a dearth of high quality ethnic food.

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »

Also, the whole world is a statist hell hole. I wasn't in any way pumping up the State of California.

It's about geography. China is a lot closer to California than New Hampshire. California has a long history of Chinese immigrants. New Hampshire doesn't. Mexico borders California. There a way more Mexicans in California than there are New Hampshire, and as a result there are way more Mexican restaurants and the quality is higher.

Now, as to who has the better food overall, this is a subjective argument. There is no "truth" either way. It all comes down to individual preference.

My own experience is that I've lived in the USA and Europe and lived in California, Oregon, Maryland, and New Hampshire. And from my personal experience, the west coast has way better ethnic food. Obviously big cities like Boston, New York, etc, are going to have Chinatowns, etc. where the food will be better. But we're not talking about Boston or New York. We're talking about New Hampshire. And New Hampshire has a dearth of high quality ethnic food.

You are totally wrong about there being no history of Chinese immigration. There has long been a very active cross-border immigration operation running from Buffalo to Boston, mostly Asians, and most of those Chinese. A lot of these people end up in NH, running restaurants and other businesses. Mexicans, on the other hand, have not immigrated to NH in large enough numbers to support real Mexican restaurants until pretty recently.

As far as ethnic food goes, since the restaurants are mostly run by natives to the various cuisines, if you know what you want, you can generally get it. Restaurants here tend to make milder food for walk-in strangers, since there is a perception - generally false, but it is still the perception - that NH natives prefer the same bland food as is found in the Midwest. And yes, I have eaten Chinese, Mexican, and many other ethnic foods on the West Coast and other places. The Mexican food in Manchester is not as good as at my favorite place, Mi Rancho Taco Shop Numero Uno in San Diego, at 32nd and Main, but neither is any other Mexican place in San Diego.

jeremiahg

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:44:59 am »

Come on, guys.  Are we really fighting about Chinese food?   :)  *Puts flowers in guns*

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 07:10:21 am »

Ah, but your appeal to authority should be respected?

Yes, yes you were.  You constantly go on about how much you gave up to move here.  It's a running joke, at this point, given that you actually gave up very little compared to most movers.

AA put your "undeniable facts" to rest, so I don't need to bother.  Nor would a large number of members of some ethnic group magically guarantee good food.  Food quality has a lot more to do with disposable income, since good food costs money.  New Hampshire is not exactly an easy move from China or Mexico, or many other places of origin, so those who actually made it here weren't the ones who landed at the easiest spot and stopped, but rather (in a significant percentage of cases) the ones who saw the challenge as worthwhile, which sort of mindset also makes an individual more likely to be economically successful and able to afford good food.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:39:53 am »

Exactly how did I appeal to authority? I merely shared my "one man's experience" and anecdotes. I even made clear that at the end of the day it's all subjective anyways. I never even mentioned the fact that I have been a waiter at 4 different restaurants. That would have been an appeal to authority.

I "constantly" go on about how much I gave up moving here? Really? The OP wanted to know what's different between New Hampshire and California. Considering I'm originally from California I tried to help him out by letting him know that his food options are going to be greatly diminished. Would you rather I lie to potential prospects and tell them everything is awesome and they won't miss a thing about California?

@jeremiahg Yes, we're arguing about Chinese food. Maineshark, for some reason, has a thing for contradicting me on forums. There's another forum where I casually explained that I drive without permission, but obey all of the traffic rules. He proceeded to ream the shit out of me for obeying the speed limit to a T. Treated me like I was the son of Satan or something.

It's all good. I don't get bent out of shape over it. I guess you're getting a taste of what hanging out with Free Staters is like. Hah!

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 04:47:48 pm »

More evidence that New Hampshire isn't known for its amazing cuisine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/newhampshire/comments/2hbxc1/map_of_the_dishes_that_best_represent_each_state/

Not only does the OP have for New Hampshire's state dish is a boiled dinner, but the comments of the people in the reddit thread are pretty telling too.

Don't get me wrong. I like yankee food and I think the best food New Hampshire has to offer is its Fine Dining.

Again, the South is known for its BBQ and creole. You're just not going to get that in New Hampshire like you would in the South. The west is known for Asian and Mexican food. Not going to get that in New Hampshire like you would in the west. Not rocket science. To deny it would be like saying the food in Italy is the same as it is in England.

JHudson

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 01:46:39 pm »

Fugitives From CA is what caught my attention.

I signed up and committed to the FSP a few years ago (Ron Paul Cured My Apathy) and admittedly got sidetracked and forgot all about it.

Flash forward to a month ago.   

I live in San Diego.   Am  Single Dad FULLTIME to my 14 year old son and living in America's Finest City.   If by Finest city, they mean liberal hell, real estate prices so high one can barely fathom, officially America's 5th largest city by population; over crowded grid locked freeways .......   But what about the perfect weather ?   It's nicer than most places; I've lived in FL NC and GA despite being a Native to San Diego and is it worth all of the above listed Benefits ?

Nope.

I make more than the median income listed across the board and still struggle.     

I am making a plan to move after my son graduates High School; he has 3 1/2 years to go.   

Just saying Hi and introducing myself (I am John).   

I look forward to the journey.   Now will be saving and planning. 

Fugitive From San Diego

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

Hey John,

I lived in San Diego for 2 years when I went to San Diego State. San Diego is very nice. I lived in Claremont for 6 months, meh, and Mission Bay for 1.5 years. That was really nice.

The weather is the best thing it has going for it. It's very easy living. But that doesn't make up for the fact that San Diego is still in CALIFORNIA.

If you're a sun worshiper you won't be able to handle New Hampshire. But if you actually like 4 seasons and and abundance of water and greenery, then you'll love New Hampshire.

Good luck!

JHudson

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »

Thank you for the reply. 

I have lived in GA FL and NC and enjoyed all of it.   

Getting used to the Winter's will be my challenge.    I love going to the Snow (Big Bear) for a visit but have never lived in it.    Although the NC winter's were very cold for me. 

I lived in PB as well !

And you are correct, it's still Ca and the only thing going for it is the weather.   Not worth it any more. 

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 06:32:15 am »

It's good to see people who value their freedom more than they value the sun and the sand.  Not sure where in NC you lived, but most of NH has a climate similar to the mountains on the far west side of NC.  If you're thin skinned weather wise the seacoast is the mildest area in NH.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

JHudson

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 09:25:38 pm »

Bazil

I would prefer being as close to the ocean as possible.    I lived in Wilmington NC. 

And yes, the liberty and freedom is what I crave.     This place is Liberal Hell and absurd taxes.

whoamrsbetty

• I Just Wanted A Pony
Re:
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 02:48:55 pm »

Hey! I'm a Sacramento native currently stranded in Florida! My hubby and I are moving to nh early next year. Something I've noticed about the east coast is they all think they know what decent Asian/Mexican food is, but they really really don't. Pizza's better, though.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

MoneyIsDebt

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 05:38:56 am »

I disagree about there not being good ethnic food!!!!! You California people obviously haven't been to the Yokohama in Gorham have ya? Know your role Cali....
I Live Free or Die, Money is Obsolete

MoneyIsDebt

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 05:49:54 am »

We also really don't care about what "decent" mexican food is. California is a big stinky Mexican, so it would only make sense that they make good Mexican food. Our Chinese is not real chinese. But, if you go to downtown China Town Boston, you will find some delicious Dim Sum that would make you Cali people look to the floor in defeat. Don't diss our state, we Live Free or Die, we also share this ideal with you. This is rule #1. With that said, we have some awesome "fake" chinese food in NH. It's horrible for you and has massive amounts of MSG, who cares? It's cheap and delicious once or twice a year! :-*
I Live Free or Die, Money is Obsolete
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up