Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: fugitives from California  (Read 7615 times)

jeremiahg

fugitives from California
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:00:58 am »

Hi!  My wife and I hail from the not-so-free state of California (Sacramento area).  We have a two-year-old child, and want to give her a better future.  We've researched other countries such as New Zealand, but noticed that although they have a lot of the "social freedoms" covered, the "economic freedoms" are lacking.  Not to mention having to adapt to an unfamiliar culture.  I decided to give New Hampshire a closer look.  To be honest, I get more excited the more I read into it.  I love the east coast beauty.  I was a military brat, and have fond memories playing in the woods of West Point, NY.  I'd love to let my child experience that.  We are also attracted to the liberty-leaning attitudes of the state, though I am trying to have realistic expectations.  I don't expect the entire state to resemble a bunch of Libertarians singing "Kumbaya" around a campfire.  Nevertheless, it seems like the best place for us to make a stand against the destruction of liberty in this country.

My wife and I are big dreamers, but we are way behind on our dreams.  I want to revolutionize artificial intelligence, and my wife wants to revolutionize animal rescue.  We've made mistakes in our life/careers/education, so we're playing a bit of catch-up.  I did release a public version of my AI system, but ran out of resources (namely time) to continue development.  In the short term, I may have better luck finding work in my less glamorous field of experience, tech support. 

The logistics of moving cross country are a challenge. Its going to cross a pretty penny.  It may require us to take a loan considering our less-than-ideal financial situation.  There is also the matter of moving away from relatives.  My wife's grandma in particular will be heartbroken.  But in my view, we can't sacrifice a better future for our daughter for the decisions that others have made.  Did I mention that we have 3 cats we need to transport?  :O  Well, if a bunch of people risked their lives in boats to cross the ocean for a better life, I figure I should be able to make it work.

I hope that we stay the course for this bold endeavor.  Once we get there and settled, I'm sure we'd be a lot happier than where we are now.  Its a bit of a risk, since I've never visited.  I only know about the culture of New Hampshire from what I've read, and I'm not sure how accurate it is.  I've also heard about the cold weather and bugs, so gotta take that in consideration.  I also hope that the Free State Project's influence will continue to spread across New Hampshire.   It can only be a positive thing.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
Re: fugitives from California
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »

Hi there!

I'm from Auburn, CA.

My wife and I moved to New Hampshire 3 years ago. My parents followed a year after that. And my sister a year after that.

We're all very happy here!

Sacramento is a total armpit.

Please get out while you still can!

Yes, the weather gets cold. But I'd rather have a cold winter than an excruciatingly hot summer like Sacramento gets. Also, we have lots and lots and lots of water here!

Seriously, Sacramento would be a TERRIBLE place to raise a family. Don't do it!

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions! I'll do my best to help!

jeremiahg

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:29:13 pm »

Lol, I've heard Sacramento as being described as an "armpit" before.  Yeah, our consensus is pretty much - we're better off most anywhere than here!  Where did you move to in New Hampshire?  What is it that you love about NH compared to where you used to live?  Any "culture shock" moments?  Are the bug complaints that I've heard overblown?  Oh, and what moving strategy did you adopt (cross country Uhaul, moving truck, etc...)?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:43:19 pm by jeremiahg »

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »

We started off in Manchester. We're not city folk, though, so we moved to North Country after 6 months. We love the fall foliage and the 4 seasons.

I don't know about culture shock, per se. But I will say that it's like there's a gigantic boulder no longer on my shoulders crushing my very existence, like there was in California.

The bug complaints are overblown, but they're real too. If you live in Sacramento you're not used to bugs. And if you move to, say, Manchester, you won't have a bug problem either. It's really when you live in the woods near water and such are the bugs a hassle. Even then, I prefer these bugs to the bloodsuckers in human form in California.

My wife and I had few possessions. We loaded up my old man's truck to the brim and towed my wife's car. We started off really small.

Moving is a big expense, no doubt. But if you start thinking you can't afford to move, just remember, you can't afford to stay!

jeremiahg

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:05:18 pm »

Lol, very true about that last part.  Getting out of quicksand should be priority #1.  Thanks for the input.  I do wonder if you can elaborate on something for me though: You mention that your life is better in New Hampshire.  Are you specifically referring to the politer culture in NH, the greater sense of freedom due to fewer rules/regulations, the economic prosperity of NH, or all of the above?  Do you have any specific examples?  I'm trying to gauge how life differs from NH vs California.  I know that humans can be humans no matter where you live, so I'm trying to develop realistic expectations.  Thanks.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »

Pretty much everything is better. It's hard to explain.

I make a better living. The costs are lower. There's never any traffic where we live. We love the seasons. The people are nicer. There are liberty lovers here and many more moving here. The list goes on.

It's actually easier to tell you what is worse than in California. The list is much shorter.

There's no good ethnic food here. In California we're used to the best mexican, best Thai, best Chinese, etc. You'll never have good Mexican food again as soon as you move here. The Chinese on the east coast SUCKS. I mean really SUCKS.

The Thai is OK. There's no Jack in the Box. Taco Bell is non existent in North Country.

So, I hope you like cooking at home is all I'm saying. We do, so it's all good.

Movie theatres are a joke here compared to California. They are few and far between and never the gigantic brand new stuff we're used to in CA. But again, that's fine be me anyways because I go to the theatres maybe twice a year. Theatres just aren't a big deal to Granite Staters. I think outdoors are a lot more popular, so that's a good sign.

I can't think of anything else. I answer this question from time to time and it's always the same answers. No ethnic food is the biggy. I do really like going out to good ethnic food. Those days are gone now.

jeremiahg

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:24 pm »

Thanks for the details.  My wife will miss her Chinese food, but I think somehow we'll survive without it.  ;) Also, can't remember the last time I've gone to movie theater.  Too expensive/noisy, and who cares when you have Netflix?  Good to hear that you've found the overall cost of living to be lower.  I thought it would be more of a wash based on http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/  I'm feeling pretty good about this so far.  Just have to find a job opportunity, and work out the logistics.  What town/city in North Country do you live in?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:34:27 pm by jeremiahg »

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:26:39 pm »

Thanks for the details.  My wife will miss her Chinese food, but I think somehow we'll survive without it.  ;) Also, can't remember the last time I've gone to movie theater.  Too expensive/noisy, and who cares when you have Netflix?  Good to hear that you've found the overall cost of living to be lower.  I thought it would be more of a wash based on http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/  I'm feeling pretty good about this so far.  Just have to find a job opportunity, and work out the logistics.  What town/city in North Country do you live in?

I don't know why you would have a problem getting "Chinese" food in NH. Chinese restaurants are all over the place, and they are run by Chinese people. If you can articulate what you are looking for, food-wise, you should have no problem.

I speak no Cantonese, so it is not as smooth as it might be, but I still can order as I please. The same goes for Viet, Thai, German, Mexican, Mongolian, Indian, etc. NH has restaurants that feature all of these styles of food, and many others, and they are generally run and staffed by people who have an inherent, native knowledge of the food. You just have to be able to articulate your preferences, and you should be well served.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:39:05 am »

Oh, you can GET Chinese food here. But it sucks! A lot of people that are from the east coast LOVE it. They have NO IDEA what good Chinese food is.

rook

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 06:52:01 pm »

Here is a question for FSP there... is there a way to find average starting wages in Keene, Manchester, Concord?

Rook

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 12:03:55 pm »

Here is a question for FSP there... is there a way to find average starting wages in Keene, Manchester, Concord?

Rook

I recommend browsing indeed.com for particular occupations.

What I really like about NH is the nature. For one thing, it smells good. Funny but true! Must be all the pine and hemlock trees. It's easy to find a place here with easy access to nature, fresh air, and starry night skies.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:43 pm »

Oh, you can GET Chinese food here. But it sucks! A lot of people that are from the east coast LOVE it. They have NO IDEA what good Chinese food is.

There is plenty of good chinese food available, here.  Just have to actually look around.  There are restaurants which serve the same food you'd find if you actually went to China for it.

Plenty of good food in other ethnic cuisines, as well.  It varies by location but, for example, if you are looking to eat in a place like Hanover, the presence of so many students from Dartmouth is more than enough to convince folks to serve food that will appeal to folks who actually know what that particular cuisine should taste like, because they're from that region of the globe.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »

There is plenty of good chinese food available, here.  Just have to actually look around.  There are restaurants which serve the same food you'd find if you actually went to China for it.

Plenty of good food in other ethnic cuisines, as well.  It varies by location but, for example, if you are looking to eat in a place like Hanover, the presence of so many students from Dartmouth is more than enough to convince folks to serve food that will appeal to folks who actually know what that particular cuisine should taste like, because they're from that region of the globe.

Ever lived on the west coast?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »

You couldn't pay me to even visit.

Fortunately, I have an extremely diverse group of friends, from a wide variety of different areas, and it happens to include some gourmet chefs (eg, the sort who can say things like, "I really love working as the head chef at the Ritz, but the French embassy really wants to hire me, and it's a tempting offer" and be completely serious about it).  If they say that there's good food, here, I'll take their expert opinions as, by far, the more valid ones.

There's no dearth of good food in New Hampshire.  Just have to actually pay attention to what's around, and be willing to travel to it if you live in the boonies.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:24 am »

You couldn't pay me to even visit.

Case closed.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything