Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting to make plans to move. Advice on location.  (Read 2840 times)

HenryRW

• Revolutionary Wire
Starting to make plans to move. Advice on location.
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:24:50 pm »

I have been planning on moving to NH for a couple years now, and am finally ready to make the move. I really enjoy the area around Keene. Both for the scenery and activism. I however grew up in a small country town and am looking for another small country town. Somewhere preferably close to Keene. Near by hiking trails are a must. I really enjoy the fact that I live across the street from a small forest and can walk through there whenever I please. I'm looking for something like this again. I have spent a little bit of time in hinsdale, but wasn't sure what the job market was like out there. I am a cook and construction. Any advice on location would be great.

Edit: I should point out that I am looking to rent, but I will look further into that in a month or two. Right now I was trying to just narrow down the area's to look in.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:24:52 pm by HenryRW »

Sam Adams

Re: Starting to make plans to move. Advice on location.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:21:16 am »

Henry, look for rents south of Keene along rt 10. I,ve seen many av. You can write me if you like. Some are even on the river.

HenryRW

• Revolutionary Wire
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:06 am »

Nice, I will most likely be coming out within the month to drive around. I'll add that to the list of places.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:13:23 pm »

Stoddard's a beautiful town near Keene. We also have folks in Westmoreland and, I believe, Richmond. This is in Chesterfield: http://www.yankeemagazine.com/explore-new-england/madame-sherris-castle-ruins
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:52:55 pm »

Near by hiking trails are a must. I really enjoy the fact that I live across the street from a small forest and can walk through there whenever I please. I'm looking for something like this again.
That sounds like half of the city of Keene. You could also find it in any other town in Cheshire County. Also, every town in the county north of Cheshire County is like that too :)

I have spent a little bit of time in hinsdale, but wasn't sure what the job market was like out there. I am a cook and construction. Any advice on location would be great.
It isn't terrific but is similar to Keene. Most of the people in Hinsdale that work, likely work in Keene, Swanzey, Hinsdale, Winchester or perhaps even Brattleboro, VT or Northfield, MA.

Edit: I should point out that I am looking to rent, but I will look further into that in a month or two. Right now I was trying to just narrow down the area's to look in.
The area you described is similar to how all of the Monadnock Region (which includes all of Cheshire County and the parts of Hillsborough County that border it) and Sullivan County are or there abouts. Any of those areas would likely be fine, especially if you are renting. If you are buying a house, there are certain towns you would likely want to avoid, such as Keene, Troy and Peterborough. Or if you want an expensive house, that list of areas to avoid might include Hinsdale, Winchester, Swanzey... because of the higher property tax rates in those towns.

HenryRW

• Revolutionary Wire
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:22:11 am »

Thanks 1DayAtATime that is a good chunk of information I was looking for!

that list of areas to avoid might include Hinsdale, Winchester, Swanzey... because of the higher property tax rates in those towns.
I'll coming from the vampire state (NY) so NH taxes don't really scare me haha, but still good to know!
Pages: [1]   Go Up