Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to move my robotics company  (Read 5647 times)

slightlycyborg

I want to move my robotics company
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:16:39 am »

Hello. I live in Tennessee and wish to move to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project. I am working on building robotics company and that so my company is of upmost importance to me above even moving. Let me try to explain my situation fully as it is a little strange. I've been going to school at the University of Tennessee to study Computer Science. Last year I started working on robots while still in college, and so far have built 3 prototypes.  After 3 years of schooling I have realized that the university is starting to become a detriment to my learning and that the methods they use to teach and the technologies they teach are severely outdated. Now I have realized it is time to take robot building on full time and so I am not going back to the university next year. My current plan is to develop humanoid robot prototype to sell on kickstarter and I am thinking that I could continue to live in  Tennessee and just work on the company from here, however, I would like to move to NH, but being a broke just out of college student I do not have the funds to make such a move.

Therefore, I want to make a proposal to the FSP'ers. I want a person to sponsor my company by allowing me to live with you for a year using your electricity, water, and living space. In return, you would get some equity in my company. I want you to know that I have never started a company before and really have no idea what I am doing, but building this robot is my mission in life and so I will do everything in my power to succeed. My robot will be 3D printed and use artificial muscles made out of nylon monofilament and because of that I would prefer to live in a major city such as Portsmith, Dover, Keene, Nashau, or Milford as these locations have a resource called a "hackerspace" which would allow me to use their 3d printer for prototyping.

If you find what I am doing interesting and are willing to take the risk of supporting me, I would love to hear from you. It would also be double plus good if you were technically inclined as well!!

Thanks,
SlightlyCyborg (Alexander Bell)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:24:32 am by slightlycyborg »

tom ploszaj

Re: I want to move my robotics company
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:28:14 am »

Consider visiting NH and meet with people face to face with your proposed business plan.
Post what you need for logistics and infrastructure to make this happen; floor space, utilities, materials, sales, customers, etc...
Find someone who can explain and help you develop a business plan to present to interested parties.  I would assume what you are looking for may have interested parties in Grafton, Croydon and Manchester but at this time all of the risk appears to be on those who have not met you with little data. 

lildog

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:02:02 pm »

I love it!!!

NH is a great location for such a thing.  I would suggest looking at Merrimack.  It's half way between Manchester and Nashua and has a great IT center.  Merrimack high school also has an outstanding robotic program sponsored by BAE.  Also one town over is Bedford where the inventor of the Segway lives and several people living there are LOADED.  If you have a good base model you might be able to find funding through them.

slightlycyborg

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice both of you. If I can complete the prototype before Porcfest then I will bring it up to show it off and perhaps build relationships with some people who are interested. Also, I know the program you are talking about, FIRST robotics. We had a local FIRST competition in Knoxville recently. I have to say that I in no way want to take part in any program sponsored by BAE since they obtain funding through Offense contracts.

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »

The TekArts hackerspace in Milford is on hiatus because they converted our factory building to apartments... We're looking for another space, though.

If you have something to show at PorcFest, you'd be welcome to take a time slot at the AltExpo tent!

Cheers, and see you in New Hampshire!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything