Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off-grid  (Read 3839 times)

XrayVision

Off-grid
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:04:40 am »

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I plan on moving by the end of the fall. We were wondering if there are any off-grid communities?
When I move to NH, I want to start my dream lifestyle.. as off-grid, free, and natural as possible. Any suggestions on where we should move?

Thanks
With my perceptions in a mix
Down twenty miles through the sticks
To the cloudy town of Hellview: Population 96
Excessive vacancy, well maybe
In the shadow of an eye
All the strangers pass through
Where the rules just don't apply

ptb

• Voluntarist Freethinker
Re: Off-grid
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:08:44 pm »

Come to Grafton, I'll give you the tour.  There aren't off-grid communities per se, but there are several people in Grafton working on it.

- Peter

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:56:06 pm »

There's also the option of a "micro-grid" in a community.  That is, a "grid" that provides the conveniences, but which is totally owned and operated by those who live there.  That can include utilities like power, water, and sewer fairly easily.  For example, drilling one large well might three times the expense of drilling a normally well, but could produce enough water for a dozen houses.  So, there's a significant savings there.  It's even possible to use underground piping to distribute heat, so a single large (probably wood-fired) heating plant can supply heating for a whole community.  Economies of scale mean that the price per unit goes down as the size goes up.

If the buildings are designed for efficiency, the size of those utility systems can be quite small, further reducing cost.

But there are also lots of folks who are fully off-grid, all on their own.  Just requires an investment.  But the up-front costs offset utility costs over time for many years to come, which end up costing more in the long run.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

XrayVision

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:24:39 am »

Come to Grafton, I'll give you the tour.  There aren't off-grid communities per se, but there are several people in Grafton working on it.

- Peter

Awesome! Thank you. Unfortunately, I won't be in the country for Porcfest, but I plan on making a trip the first week of July to scope out what area I resonate best with. My email address is unplugged321@gmx.us, a tour would be much appreciated!
With my perceptions in a mix
Down twenty miles through the sticks
To the cloudy town of Hellview: Population 96
Excessive vacancy, well maybe
In the shadow of an eye
All the strangers pass through
Where the rules just don't apply
Pages: [1]   Go Up