Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chemical or pharmaceutical engineers on the Forum?  (Read 5169 times)

ChemEng

Chemical or pharmaceutical engineers on the Forum?
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:11:32 pm »

Are there any Chemical or Pharmaceutical engineers on the forum?  I am graduating with a PhD in chemical/pharmaceutical engineering and looking to leave my home-state of New Jersey.  I know NJ is ideal for chemical/pharmaceutical engineering, but I would like to put down roots in a better state (ideally New Hampshire).  I did an initial search of jobs in NH and there are not many it seems.  Any advice/tips/info would be appreciated. Help!     

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Chemical or pharmaceutical engineers on the Forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:40:03 am »

You could live in NH and work at AstraZeneca in Waltham, Mass, if you specifically want pharmaceuticals.

For chemical engineering, best bet would be to search in the Manchester/Nashua corridor, as that's the highest concentration of manufacturing, and various companies might have use for a chemical engineer.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Phil Boncer

Re: Chemical or pharmaceutical engineers on the Forum?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:59 pm »

There is only one large biotech company in NH: Lonza Biologics, which has a good size facility in Portsmouth.  They are active and do have job openings frequently.
There are a few small biotech companies, but not many.

There are several medical device companies in NH.  I'm not sure how well that will apply to your skills.
One of the largest of them is Atrium Medical in Hudson; I'm currently working there as a consultant, doing validation work.

Bottom line, the NH job market in biotech/pharmaceutical/medical tech is pretty small.
=====
There is a very large amount of biotech and pharmaceutical action in Boston/Cambridge/northern MA.
So one option is to live in southern NH, and work in MA.  This isn't ideal, as MA will tax your income, but it can work well anyway.

Another option is that there is a lot of good lucrative consulting and contracting work around the country, so you could move to NH, base yourself here, and travel to consult.
To the extent that you could get contracts in MA, if you form a corporation in NH you can avoid state income taxes, and still be close enough to live in NH and drive to most of your customers.
=====
I'm a pharmaceutical engineer with over 20 years experience.
Feel free to e-mail me at phil@boncer.com if you want to talk some more.

PhilB
Pages: [1]   Go Up