Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of "jobs" can I find in NH?  (Read 5005 times)

goon

• I'm a llama!
What kind of "jobs" can I find in NH?
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »

Hi,

I've got education and experience as a librarian and am looking to relocate to NH, but openings in my field don't come along on a constant basis. I'm just wondering... since I'm unattached and could move now with just what I can carry on my back, if I were to show up in NH tomorrow, could I find a job doing SOMETHING until I can get my career in order? What options might I have?

Alex Libman

Re: What kind of "jobs" can I find in NH?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »

NH isn't a different planet.  Its employment prospects aren't drastically different from elsewhere in the USA.  It doesn't rank very highly on the "state jobs growth projections" lists, but for the state with the #1 highest corporate taxes it's doing pretty well...

What are your other geographic options?

What are your interests / employment history / career focus?

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »

Welcome to the Forum.

Lol, NH doesn't have the highest corporate taxes. It has the 2nd lowest unemployment rate in the East. Border state VT has the lowest unemployment rate in the East. Here are the unemployment rates broken down by cities.

https://nhfreedom.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/new-hampshire-has-the-2nd-lowest-unemployment-rate-in-the-east-again/

Based on population size and unemployment rates, you best bets are within a 20 minutes drive of Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth or Lebanon. I also listed those cities in order of least expensive to most expensive to live in. And Manchester and Nashua are within 20 minutes of each other anyway. So if you want a job in NH, Manchester might be your best bet. If you live in Nashua, you will have shorter commutes to jobs in MA, if you want to look down there because of the higher population or higher pay.

What's common and hiring in NH? Tech jobs, service, retail, tourism. There are plenty of other jobs. Check out the Jobs section of this Forum, of this website, http://www.indeed.com and the FSP Job Alert on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/fspjobalert/

If you move to any of the 4 cities above or a town that borders any of them and have a car, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job or 2 within 4 weeks of moving if you have a clean criminal record, look clean cut and have a decent resume. If not, it might take you a little longer, depending.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:50:37 pm by 1DayAtATime »

goon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:02:35 pm »

Thank you. That is some very helpful information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything