Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ... and a cry of "Liberty!" Arose From The Peach State...  (Read 4461 times)

crouton976

... and a cry of "Liberty!" Arose From The Peach State...
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:34:21 pm »

Hello all you Porcs!

My name is Creighton and my wife, son and yours truly are considering making the move to NH. I've been following FSP for about the last year or so, and am highly supportive and excited to see so many people banding together to promote change and liberty.

I would like to ask a variety of questions about life in NH and about the possibility and circumstances of us moving there. But first, a little background...

Currently, we are living in a roughly 1100 sq.ft. home with a roughly 500 sq.ft. shop that we rent, paying $875 per month plus utilities. Gas is around $3.65 per gallon. We have approximately $12k in credit card and medical debt, which is not a good feeling. After moving back to Georgia, we had to sell a home in AL during the worst of the recession, which, combined with surgery for my wife to have her gall bladder removed, took us from a zero balance on all of our accounts to where we are now in a hurry. We also have two vehicles we are paying off, which were financed only because we were strapped for cash ring to avoid foreclosure.

She is a customer service rep for a national box company earning $52k per year and I am a kitchen designer for the builder direct line of a national cabinet manufacturer, earning $36k per year, but also have a background in industrial furniture design and fabrication as well as remodeling. Unfortunately, neither of us have finished earning a degree, but do have at least some college education.

She is a Unitarian Universalist, while I am more Dude-ism, and our 5-year-old son is Spiderman. ;D

Ideally, we would love to be able to purchase around 5 acres or more of land and build a tiny house (as in THOSE tiny houses) which is off grid, cutting our expenses as much as possible, and try or hand at producing as much of our food as possible. Until we can pay the debt off, this most likely will not be possible, but at least we have a goal.

My questions are:

1. For those of you, if any, who are living off grid, what methods of energy are working for you the most and what are the worst?

2. For those of you who are aware of the tiny house movement, what are some restrictions we would face as far as building one on a trailer to put on property we bought?

3. On average, what do manufacturing and carpentry jobs typically pay there? Are these types of jobs bountiful?

4. Based on the info above, as far as what we are currently paying, are the cities in NH fairly comparable to this in terms of cost of living? I don't know if we'll be making the same amount of income if we make the move, but if we can establish a good expense total, we'll know what we need to earn.

5. While I'm aware that most Porcs are in the southern part of NH, and there are lots of liberty minded folk in the state to boot, are there areas in the state which aren't so liberty minded? (Side note- this is where I'd probably set up shop if we made the move and could afford it... like my grandpa used to say "You gotta go where the bees are if you expect to collect honey")

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more later, as I like to make the most informed decision I can (being a Libertarian and a Libra, this can be a blessing and a curse :D ). We hope to head up and visit around Thanksgiving for 3 or 4 days, but we're trying to work out a plan there.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting aquainted with all of you!

-Creighton

time4liberty

Re: ... and a cry of "Liberty!" Arose From The Peach State...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:34 am »

Hello all you Porcs!

My name is Creighton and my wife, son and yours truly are considering making the move to NH. I've been following FSP for about the last year or so, and am highly supportive and excited to see so many people banding together to promote change and liberty.

Welcome! :)

Ideally, we would love to be able to purchase around 5 acres or more of land and build a tiny house (as in THOSE tiny houses) which is off grid, cutting our expenses as much as possible, and try or hand at producing as much of our food as possible. Until we can pay the debt off, this most likely will not be possible, but at least we have a goal.

Maybe something like this?  ;D

http://realestate.porcupinerealestate.com/idx/12231/details.php?idxID=096&listingID=4314797

My questions are:

1. For those of you, if any, who are living off grid, what methods of energy are working for you the most and what are the worst?

Not living off grid myself. I'm going to guess that wood heat is going to be your best bet. Electrical is probably more of a challenge.

2. For those of you who are aware of the tiny house movement, what are some restrictions we would face as far as building one on a trailer to put on property we bought?

Depends where you live. Many places in NH, none whatsoever.

3. On average, what do manufacturing and carpentry jobs typically pay there? Are these types of jobs bountiful?

Not sure exactly. Maybe someone else can say. Here are some carpentry and manufacturing related job openings:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=carpentry&l=NH
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=manufacturing&l=NH

I suspect there may be more manufacturing jobs than carpentry jobs. Looks like sig sauer is hiring, I see.

4. Based on the info above, as far as what we are currently paying, are the cities in NH fairly comparable to this in terms of cost of living? I don't know if we'll be making the same amount of income if we make the move, but if we can establish a good expense total, we'll know what we need to earn.

Depends exactly where you live. Housing varies greatly -- the farther you are from boston, the cheaper it is. Gas is similar.

Other information you may find useful, regarding NH:

Highest Quality of life: http://www.cnbc.com/id/48058146/America_s_Best_States_to_Live_in_2012?slide=11
Most Livable: http://channels.isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/package.jsp?name=fte/livablestates/livablestates&floc=wn-nx
Lowest poverty of all states: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_poverty_rate
Safest: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/04/07/the-15-safest-state-to-live-in-based-on-2010-crime-rankings/
Second Healthiest: http://www.americashealthrankings.org/

5. While I'm aware that most Porcs are in the southern part of NH, and there are lots of liberty minded folk in the state to boot, are there areas in the state which aren't so liberty minded? (Side note- this is where I'd probably set up shop if we made the move and could afford it... like my grandpa used to say "You gotta go where the bees are if you expect to collect honey")

Porcs are literally all over the state. It's true that the concentration is heaviest in the south, but the majority of the population of NH is in the southern part of the state, so that's where you'll find the most people of all stripes.

If you made me list the most anti-liberty parts of the state, politically, I'd say Keene and the seacoast. But, there are lots of FSPers in both those places.

Different areas have different flavors. Keene activists seem to be more about disobedience/protests/getting arrested, while other areas focus more on running for office & getting elected.

But, there are all sorts in all places.

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more later, as I like to make the most informed decision I can (being a Libertarian and a Libra, this can be a blessing and a curse :D ). We hope to head up and visit around Thanksgiving for 3 or 4 days, but we're trying to work out a plan there.

Cool! You know, if you can move the trip up a bit, this area is absolutely stunning in mid-october. I get that vacation day issues can make that difficult, though.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting aquainted with all of you!

-Creighton

Likewise!

crouton976

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:04:07 am »

Thanks for the response and warm welcome time4liberty!

I'll say that I'm more of a Springfield Armory fan myself, but Sig Sauer sure makes some fine firearms... That'd be awesome to work there! Combining two interests (guns and supporting my family) would be pretty sweet!

The reason we want to try and come around Thanksgiving is because (we hope) it will be cold enough to be indicative of winter there, which my wife is pretty adverse about cold weather. I'm just the opposite and can't stand hot weather, well, not when combined with humidity like GA. I absolutely loved going to see my dad in CO at the end of July one year... It was 98 degrees, full sun and only about 20% humidity. It was hot, but not stifling. Here, when it's 80 degrees out, you walk outside and feel like you can't breathe!

time4liberty

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:26:54 am »

Well, it'll probably be cold in November, but not January cold.

Here's average daytime highs, by month. November averages 50.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNH0156

crouton976

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:58:24 am »

True, but the difference between November in NH and November in GA I think will be enough to sway her on the "But it's a dry cold!!" argument.

Thanks for the link!!

By the way, I've been doing some digging into a small business opportunity, which may or may not be a success in NH, but I imagine it would be given some of the data I've been looking at and my own personal experiences with similar businesses I've dealt with in the past. I've also been brainstorming ideas on ways to cut the startup costs and possibly branch into co-op situations with other established businesses by doing things like sharing retail space, partnership discount programs, co-sponsored events, etc.

If it pans out, and seems feasible, it might just be the answer to the job situation. I would imagine going in we'd have to save around 6 months worth of living expenses, maybe more, just to give the business time to turn a profit. The good news is that it can be started on a budget of $5k-$20k. I've got some great ideas on how to stay on the $5k side, as well as how to cut costs of business once it is up and running. The potential to expand this business, at least a bit, is pretty high.

The other aspect of entering this business venture would be that it would most likely allow my wife and I to work together, and take turns home schooling our son. Also, if it is successful enough, the profits could possibly lead to another business venture I have in mind, though it would most likely take several years to get arranged and underway.

Isn't it great when one good idea snowballs into the next? Just considering the FSP lead me to revisit the Tiny House movement, which in turn has lead me to research this business opportunity, better schooling for my son, creative ways to pay our debt off faster, etc.

Even if we don't end up joining the FSP and moving to NH, these ideas would be well suited almost anywhere in the country, save for some VERY, VERY rural places with LONG commute times between home and work (think 1.5 hours or more one way).

Feel free, all of you, to post up any ideas you might have based on my original post... I'm on a brainstorm hurricane right now, so even if your idea wouldn't fit my exact needs, I could potentially glean some good info that would be applicable or think about an existing solution from another angle.

-Creighton

time4liberty

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »

True, but the difference between November in NH and November in GA I think will be enough to sway her on the "But it's a dry cold!!" argument.

The best way to enjoy winter is to get out in it -- learn to downhill ski or snowboard, go snowshoeing or XC skiing, or ice fishing, sledding, and skating -- (then come home and have hot cocoa by the fire!). It's beautiful, and if you dress properly (good coat, hat, gloves, snowpants, and lots of layers), you won't be uncomfortable in the slightest.

Personally, late November is my least favorite time of year around here, because it's chilly, and the leaves are gone, but no snow (well except for thanksgiving, which is one of my favorite holidays). Actually, getting into hunting would probably fix that for me, because that's prime deer and turkey season.

Just remember, if you come in November, to come in June for Porcfest too, which is going to be epic , to get the full picture ;).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:04:20 pm by time4liberty »

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:14:47 am »

Personally, late November is my least favorite time of year around here, because it's chilly, and the leaves are gone, but no snow (well except for thanksgiving, which is one of my favorite holidays).

Halloween to Christmas is my least favorite time of year for the same reasons.

Anyway, on topic, usually the best selling point for someone from the south is the summer.  It doesn't get nearly as hot here on average.  As for the winter for someone from the south it will feel colder than it really is for a few weeks.  The mountains of northern Georgia are a lot like the low areas in the southern end of the state here.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

crouton976

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »

Yeah, she's kind of a worst case scenario type person... show her what the real downsides are so she can see if she's really gaining or losing.

We're still trying to work on a plan to visit, though I dunno how concrete it'll be... we just got more bills from her gall bladder surgery that we thought was all paid off. Grrr...
Pages: [1]   Go Up