Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NE Ohio resident considering the move.  (Read 3823 times)

blckmynnse8

NE Ohio resident considering the move.
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:53:48 pm »

Greetings. I just found out about the FSP last week and it feels like a light at the end of the tunnel. Before learning about the FSP I really felt like there was nowhere to go in order to get some relief from encroaching beaurocracy and even tyranny.

I'd say I'm about 99% positive that moving to NH is going to be a definite goal of mine. The sooner the better, but at this point it looks like the the best time to make the move would be late summer 2014. My girlfriend and I are going to try and make a trip out there this year, probably summer/fall. From the little bit of reading I've done I'm interested in the Manchester area. It will definitely be difficult to let go of my well-paying job in Ohio but by  next year we'll be able to live on a lower income.

As for a little bit of info on myself, I have an associates degree in electronics and work as a repair technician at the world headquarters of one of the leading companies in the packaging industry. I know for a fact that we have a substantial amount of equipment at various companies in NH. Not sure if that may help in finding employment, but it certainly won't hurt. I've also worked at a music store repairing guitar amps + other musical equipment, both solid state and tube. My girlfriend and I are both interested in visual and audio experimental art, astronomy, and getting outdoors to name a few things.

Again, the idea of leaving the job I've been working at for the past 12 years makes it a little tough. But I think it's getting to be time to move beyond my comfort zone and on to something much better.

Anyways, we both feel the need to get out of Ohio and NH seems to be the best option that I've seen for people who want to be somewhat industrious and have people with a similar attitude around them.

Thanks for reading, hope to be out for a visit this year.

time4liberty

Re: NE Ohio resident considering the move.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:07:41 pm »

Greetings. I just found out about the FSP last week and it feels like a light at the end of the tunnel. Before learning about the FSP I really felt like there was nowhere to go in order to get some relief from encroaching beaurocracy and even tyranny.

Welcome!! :)

I'd say I'm about 99% positive that moving to NH is going to be a definite goal of mine. The sooner the better, but at this point it looks like the the best time to make the move would be late summer 2014. My girlfriend and I are going to try and make a trip out there this year, probably summer/fall. From the little bit of reading I've done I'm interested in the Manchester area. It will definitely be difficult to let go of my well-paying job in Ohio but by  next year we'll be able to live on a lower income.

Just to through another idea out there, you can get a month-to-month lease here: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000053702.php

Look for work, then move to wherever the work is -- with no fees for leaving the apt early.

As for a little bit of info on myself, I have an associates degree in electronics and work as a repair technician at the world headquarters of one of the leading companies in the packaging industry. I know for a fact that we have a substantial amount of equipment at various companies in NH. Not sure if that may help in finding employment, but it certainly won't hurt. I've also worked at a music store repairing guitar amps + other musical equipment, both solid state and tube.

Cool. I recommend some searches on indeed.com, location: "NH".

My girlfriend and I are both interested in visual and audio experimental art, astronomy, and getting outdoors to name a few things.

Again, the idea of leaving the job I've been working at for the past 12 years makes it a little tough. But I think it's getting to be time to move beyond my comfort zone and on to something much better.

Anyways, we both feel the need to get out of Ohio and NH seems to be the best option that I've seen for people who want to be somewhat industrious and have people with a similar attitude around them.

Great! I especially recommend Liberty forum, in Feburary, and/or Porcfest, in June -- if you can make it at those times.

blckmynnse8

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57:25 am »

Thanks!

Right now the main think keeping us from coming out to visit is transportation. Our car is good for driving in state but we don't want to make any road trips with it I'm holding out until the absolute last possible moment before purchasing a new vehicle.

blckmynnse8

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:18 am »

Due to ride uncertainty and short notice I don't know if we can make it to LF, but Porcfest should be quite doable.

This is looking more and more like something I want to turn into a definite goal. Late summer 2014 still looks like the ideal time to make the move.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:36:45 pm »

Due to ride uncertainty and short notice I don't know if we can make it to LF, but Porcfest should be quite doable.

This is looking more and more like something I want to turn into a definite goal. Late summer 2014 still looks like the ideal time to make the move.

Welcome to the FSP Forum!

Awesome. Also, check my sig file for info on jobs and housing.

blckmynnse8

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »

Thanks!

I'm trying to wait until mid-2014 so I can live modestly off of capital gains for a year or so before returning to the work force, or maybe starting a business.

Who knows, I'm trying to keep myself as flexible as possible and the move date could wind up being this year.

I see that so far less than 2000 people have made the move, I'm hoping that most or all of these folks are the more industrious/ entrepreneurial types. While I absolutely support legalization, I'm definitely not kosher with folks who just want to get high and play video games while the dirty dishes pile up and someone else pays the bills... that's what I'm trying to get away from here in Ohio  ;)

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:44:41 pm »

I see that so far less than 2000 people have made the move, I'm hoping that most or all of these folks are the more industrious/ entrepreneurial types. While I absolutely support legalization, I'm definitely not kosher with folks who just want to get high and play video games while the dirty dishes pile up and someone else pays the bills... that's what I'm trying to get away from here in Ohio  ;)

NH has the lowest poverty rate, the lowest long term poverty rate and the lowest child poverty rate in the US. It's been that way for years. While NH town and cities have to legally provide welfare for the worst off, you have to prove yourself. In Manchester, they ask to see your financial records. They even call your family sometimes.

People tend to make more money in NH than most other states. Since we have a lot less poor than most states, people give less money to charity. Plus taxes are lower than most states. That means people have more money left over at the end of the month.

Did you see the 101 Reasons yet?
101 Reasons You Should Move to New Hampshire (If You Love Liberty)
http://freestateproject.org/101Reasons

blckmynnse8

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »

Yes, I've read the 101 reasons and it definitely built up my enthusiasm.

Last night I just found out that someone I've been friends with on facebook lives somewhere around Nashua/Manchester so that also makes me more excited.

If my plans go accordingly the move should be fairly easy, exact locations won't be too important at first because by the planned moving time I'll be mostly, or even completely out of debt. I hope to take maybe a year or two off work to live off of my savings and pursue creative endeavors. If I'm lucky that might result in the creation of a business creating musical instruments. After being a member of the full time work force for 20 years straight I think I'm ready for a short break.

There's even a possibility that the company I work for may open up some sort of operation in NH because they just recently made the decision to stop working with their distributor in NH... heck maybe I might be able to pick up work with the ex-distributor considering that I'm already experienced.

blckmynnse8

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

Not much more to say right now other than we've pretty much commited to moving to NH. I've read enough already to know it's the right thing to do. Now it's just a matter of when which still looks to be between September 2014-January 2015.

We won't be able to attend Porcfest, but instead we are thinking about making a short train trip vacation around this Sep-Oct. We don't need to visit first before moving, we already know we want this.

time4liberty

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:03:48 pm »

Not much more to say right now other than we've pretty much commited to moving to NH. I've read enough already to know it's the right thing to do. Now it's just a matter of when which still looks to be between September 2014-January 2015.

We won't be able to attend Porcfest, but instead we are thinking about making a short train trip vacation around this Sep-Oct. We don't need to visit first before moving, we already know we want this.

Awesome! :) Peak foliage is usually around the 2nd-3rd week of October, but it's really a ~six week process.

http://www.visitnh.gov/4-seasons/fall-harvest/foliage/foliage-tracker.aspx
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:07:07 pm by time4liberty »

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:18 pm »

Awesome! :) Peak foliage is usually around the 2nd-3rd week of October, but it's really a ~six week process.

The only downside about that time is that it is the time of year when motels have the highest rates in many of the areas with pretty leaves.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 05:42:42 pm »

The only downside about that time is that it is the time of year when motels have the highest rates in many of the areas with pretty leaves.

We call that the free market at work.  If the leaf-peepers are prepared to pay, let them.  Note also that in areas with the best slopes, the room costs are higher in skiing season.  Around the Weirs, half the motels are unavailable at any price except while it's warm enough to swim and then through foliage time.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

AndrewVanboxel

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:53 pm »

As for a little bit of info on myself, I have an associates degree in electronics and work as a repair technician at the world headquarters of one of the leading companies in the packaging industry. I know for a fact that we have a substantial amount of equipment at various companies in NH. Not sure if that may help in finding employment, but it certainly won't hurt. I've also worked at a music store repairing guitar amps + other musical equipment, both solid state and tube. My girlfriend and I are both interested in visual and audio experimental art, astronomy, and getting outdoors to name a few things.

What part of N.E. Ohio? My wife and I are from Eastlake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up