Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Idaho job question  (Read 11368 times)

unsung

Idaho job question
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:59 am »

I'm hoping I can find some Idaho information here since it is another great state to go to.

I'm in Illinois (sw chicago burbs) right now and within the next four years I want to leave. After doing much brainstorming and research I've settled on Idaho. Now I prefer to be in Lewiston or north of it, but my concern is work. I am in nuclear power here, and I work full-time and make good money and benefits. I'm willing to take a pay cut to a point, and I'd imagine I'd continue to follow this career path (energy generation). I know Idaho power is out that way but if I'm correct their furthest north facility is in Hells Canyon which is south of where I want to be. However I might have to consider that.

I know INL is in Idaho Falls and I believe that Areva was going to build an enrichment facility that is on hold, but I don't know what power companies are in the northern part of the state. So I was wondering if someone could provide that information. What company provides power for CDA? Thank you!

TheMagicBullet

Re: Idaho job question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:56:00 am »

Ummmm, I think you have the wrong forum? FSP is about relocating to NH!

unsung

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:39:36 am »

I'm aware of that. As my first sentence mentions I was trying to find info for Idaho here because iirc idaho was considered for FSP.  I was hoping someone could help.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:30 am »

It has been about ten years since the FSP decided against Idaho, so unfortunately I don't think you'll find many around here with Idaho info.

Why not New Hampshire?
http://freestateproject.org/101reasons
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:27:22 pm »

Reconsider and think of NH! :-) especially if you're worried about work. NH has one of the best economies in the US and some of the lowest unemployment in the nation. :-)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:22:21 pm »

Reconsider and think of NH! :-) especially if you're worried about work. NH has one of the best economies in the US and some of the lowest unemployment in the nation. :-)

And a number of nuclear jobs in the seacoast area, between Seabrook Station and some nuclear components manufacturing going on in Portsmouth (GE, if I recall).
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35:40 am »

And a number of nuclear jobs in the seacoast area, between Seabrook Station and some nuclear components manufacturing going on in Portsmouth (GE, if I recall).

Plus it ranks much higher on the Mercatus freedom index. Has better gun laws, taxes, etc. :-)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:55 am »

In all fairness to the OP. Several of the FSP early movers came from ID so we are learning about ID. It seems like an interesting state. If you want help with finding a job in NH, there you go.

unsung

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:46:35 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I'm just not sure I'm a fan of the east.  I'm sure there were many valid reasons of why NH was picked but I really don't care for the neighboring states.  I will keep it open for future considerations. I've got about four years before I'm fully ready.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »

Well, it's not the "let's move someplace cool project" - it's a project to find activists and have them move to one particular place, to engage in activism.

Activism is not easy; if a distaste for the neighboring states is enough to turn you off, then activism is not likely a good fit.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Connectisuck

• The Resident Misanthrope
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:42:22 pm »

I am in nuclear power here, and I work full-time and make good money and benefits. I'm willing to take a pay cut to a point, and I'd imagine I'd continue to follow this career path (energy generation).
What specific nuclear job are you workin'? Not relevant, but I just want to know. I have a mate who is nuclear logistics management and it looks like a decent job. I'll PM you in a bit.

unsung

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:08 pm »

Well, it's not the "let's move someplace cool project" - it's a project to find activists and have them move to one particular place, to engage in activism.

Activism is not easy; if a distaste for the neighboring states is enough to turn you off, then activism is not likely a good fit.

I put in about 200 hours walking for the last two Ron Paul campaigns, in states that I don't reside. I didn't know I had to post my resume to ask a question.

unsung

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:02:59 pm »

I am in nuclear power here, and I work full-time and make good money and benefits. I'm willing to take a pay cut to a point, and I'd imagine I'd continue to follow this career path (energy generation).
What specific nuclear job are you workin'? Not relevant, but I just want to know. I have a mate who is nuclear logistics management and it looks like a decent job. I'll PM you in a bit.

I'm in nuclear power generation, I test Motor Operated Valves amongst other things to ensure they are ready to go in case of an emergency. That's pretty much our main work, ensure equipment needed for safe shutdown will operate as designed.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:36 pm »

I put in about 200 hours walking for the last two Ron Paul campaigns, in states that I don't reside. I didn't know I had to post my resume to ask a question.

Again, if some minor thing is all that it takes to dissuade you from moving here, then best of luck to you.  No one is going to try and pressure to to move.  We need folks who will actually commit to doing real work, here.  Because this isn't about just moving someplace that's already perfect; this is about moving someplace where change is actually possible, and then working for that change.

Idaho and other states were dropped, because that's not how things go, there.  There's little chance of any liberty movement having any impact on Idaho.  What you see is what you get, and it's not likely to get any better, any time in the reasonably-forseeable future.

In NH, even despite the fact that the FSP has not officially started, a few early movers are already having a major impact.  And that's happening because we are dedicated to the work that we're doing.  We don't say, "well, NH is bordered by Mass, so I guess that's too much of a turn-off."

But, again, no one's going to pressure you.  If you can overlook the inconveniences that exist, welcome.  If you can't, then please do your best wherever you land.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:10 am »

MaineShark is not trying to turn anyone away... He tried to answer the comment they had about not moving to NH, and is explaining what the FSP is looking for. What he said is true, if someone is so easily fair weather / minor complaints with no logical merit turn them away from the idea we have / present, then there's no reason to sugar coat anything and try to "sell" them on coming to NH. It is what it is, we display the facts for people and if that's not enough then we don't need them because when things actually do become difficult or take years to accomplish (which they have and will, undoubtedly) those people will not have the resolve / commitment to stick it through and then they'll go around touting "The FSP doesn't work!" and such nonsense. We don't want or need them to come here.. They wouldn't take the statement of intent seriously and wouldn't actually contribute in any way except to cause un-necessary drama.

We don't turn away people who want to come to NH and help us. You just have to see from our perspective anyway, that this is the(one of the) most important things one can do in their lifetime... We don't have time for the petty arguments / discussions of "Why not the state of ____?" etc. ... NH was chosen, that's done. No more debating it, and complaining about NH for whatever reason isn't going to get a positive response from any of us... especially those of us who've made the move to NH. It's a tired argument / discussion that's been gone over many times. The info is STILL on these boards for anyone who cares enough about it, they can look up the arguments and discussions with the search feature. Re-hashing the conversation for those who have been part of the FSP for years and years or are in NH already is like the "But who will build the roads?" argument to most libertarians.

The only people I know of recently that have been "turned away" on this forum was because they very clearly didn't fit / align with FSP values and blatantly showed such by being very aggressive and making wildly preposterous claims / statements. (This forum isn't very active anymore which is admittedly, due to Facebook and people interacting face to face within the FSP and having sub-sects of the FSP such as Free Keene and others...)

The report that shows NH is #4 is based on data collected in 2009 and 2010, which had one of the worst legislature's NH has seen. Before this report, NH was #1 since the beginning of the report. (The report is co-created by the FSP founder Jason Sorens) The 2011 - 2012 legislature in NH was the first legislature since WWII to actually CUT the state budget, and restored a lot of the freedoms / economic freedoms lost in 2009 / 2010 (this most recent report) ... So, if a new study was done using 2012 or even 2013's data, it'd probably find NH to be #1 again. (IMHO, NH is #1 for many many reasons such as the fact that it's got the best suited state legislature to actually attain more liberty and it's got the highest number of both personal and economic freedoms and not just one or the other when talking about the weights of the varying freedoms listed in that report... the highest states aside from NH might be extremely high in personal but very low in economic freedom or vice versa) Just this year for example, while many states are further restricting or proposing restricting gun freedoms even more - with a democrat led NH house they shut down one of the only anti-gun bills by an overwhelming margin. HB290 would have banned open carrying in public buildings, and was shut down 322 to 9. That's how pro-freedom most New Hampshirites are. They realize how nonsensical a bill is and vote against it. A bill to shut down the indefinite detention portion of the federal 2012 NDAA has passed the NH house and is on to the senate, by a overwhelming margin also, something like 300+ to 15. Medical Marijuana, Marijuana Decriminalization, Industrial Hemp legalization and more have all passed the House and are on to the senate. There really hasn't been much anti-liberty stuff that's passed the house so far, and much has been shut down.

A lot of the laws being passed and that have been passed, have happened because of Free Stater representatives fighting / introducing them, and free staters showing up to argue for or against, protest, etc. This is not easily "shown" unless you pay attention to these things on Facebook and FSPer blogs, the various NH/FSP friendly podcasts and radio and such. They're not advertised by the FSP itself necessarily because the FSP doesn't take a political stance and doesn't get involved in politics. The individual participants of the FSP, once in NH, are free to do whatever they like and join whatever organizations they like and fight for or against whatever legislation they like... that's probably why you don't see headlines such as "The Free State Project helps to pass medical marijuana in NH" because the FSP is not a political / lobbyist organization and it never will be. That's not the point of the FSP... the point of the FSP is only to get activists to NH.

It's really hard to judge the entire FSP off a couple people that regularly visit this forum who may or may not even have any involvement with the FSP. It's hard to judge NH based solely off of commentary you see on the internet. You should visit NH and see for yourself, visit one of the many weekly / monthly FSP gatherings or social events to see what the actual members of the FSP are like. Make those judgements for yourself instead of using irrational anonymous commentary / criticisms to make your decisions.

I think the commentary on this forum to people who constantly come to criticize or nit-pick would seem a lot less "uninviting/douche-baggy" if you took the emotion of being dis-proven / taken less serious due to what is perceived as constant whining and attempts at "poking holes" in the FSP instead of actual intellectual debate / theory debate. Talking about other states is not picking a hole in the aim of the FSP if you actually understand the aim of the FSP and the reasons the FSP chose NH. All of those things are listed in various subsections of the FSP's main site: http://freestateproject.org - those aren't fallacies of the FSP or debate topics, those are only complaint topics. The FSP is not political, so there's no fallacies of the "ideology" to discuss because there isn't any ideology. The only thing the FSP is, is a "vehicle" to move political activists to New Hampshire to exert the fullest practical effort toward a society where the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty and property. That's it. It's intentionally left very ambiguous / open to debate because the FSP isn't appealing to only conservatives or only liberals, it's appealing to anyone and everyone from the entire political spectrum who value limited government to come here and pursue whatever efforts they find most important to them in order to obtain more freedom. That's it. Pretty hard to debate the "logic" or find any fallacies in that plan... And like I said, debating fallacies in the logic of individual participants is not the same as debating the point of the FSP.

Hope this helps clear up some of the misconceptions you and others have about the overall FSP as brought to you by perception of the limited view of this forum!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:42:40 am by crossonscout »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything