Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 99% sure...  (Read 4471 times)

thadarksandman

99% sure...
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:33:34 am »

I am 29,living in MA with my live in fiance. We are almost 100% sure of joining the FSP. We are both libertarians(both voted Gary Johnson, proudly). We have often wanted to become more active in the Liberty Movement, however our area(which is nice, otherwise) has very little in the way of possibilities to do much. One could argue "just get out there and do something", however its not so easy in a Democrat stronghold like this area. We do spread the word on a person to person basis, and of course on the internet( I have gotten a lot of friends and relatives to at least look at things outside the left/right paradigm) however we want to do more.

I have always liked NH. Being a lifelong Mass. Resident, I have been there many times. I always liked the anti tax ideology(MA conversely is one of the highest tax states, and has gotten worse in the last decade) as well as other personal freedom laws. Its also just a beautiful place(as is most of New England).

Our major concerns seem to be common. Work/income, affordable housing and quality of life, as well as social things like making friends and contacts in the area. We would appreciate any input on those topics or anything else as we decide whether to commit 100% to the cause. If we sign up we plan to move within a year or two.

Feel free to ask questions about us as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:39:58 am by thadarksandman »

time4liberty

Re: 99% sure...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:17 am »

Welcome! :)

Our major concerns seem to be common. Work/income

What business are you in? NH has one of the lowest unemployment rates (5.7%) overall.

, affordable housing and quality of life,

Some links for your perusal:

Highest Quality of life: http://www.cnbc.com/id/48058146/America_s_Best_States_to_Live_in_2012?slide=11
Most Livable: http://channels.isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/package.jsp?name=fte/livablestates/livablestates&floc=wn-nx
Lowest poverty of all states: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_poverty_rate
Safest: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/04/07/the-15-safest-state-to-live-in-based-on-2010-crime-rankings/
Third Healthiest: http://www.americashealthrankings.org/

as well as social things like making friends and contacts in the area. We would appreciate any input on those topics or anything else as we decide whether to commit 100% to the cause. If we sign up we plan to move within a year or two.

There are vibrant and growing communities of pro-liberty people in virtually every corner of the state. It really depends on where you intend to move.

Many of us in Nashua get together every Sunday at 7pm, at Peddler's Daughter (downtown). You're invited to stop by, if you have time sometime!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:01:41 pm by time4liberty »

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:06:51 pm »

I am 29,living in MA with my live in fiance.

Welcome!

Work/income,

NH has a lower unemployment rate then MA. As for income the border towns compete with Boston for labor so pay is about the same as working in Boston.

affordable housing

Without knowing the range you consider affordable there is not really a good response to this. 1 bedroom apartments in the cities start at around $700 and 2 bedrooms around $850.

and quality of life

(Much) lower crime rates, better drivers, friendlier people etc

as well as social things like making friends and contacts in the area.

When you move you have a vast number of default friends by virtue of the fact a bunch of other people have also moved :) There are social meetups throughout the state also and when you move the local Welcome Wagon will show up to help you move in.

I'm not sure where you are in MA but if you are not hours and hours away and would like to come visit and meet some of us this weekend the Nashua meetup is every Sunday 7pm here.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/NashuaLibertySocial/

Also you should come to Porcfest in June http://porcfest.com/

thadarksandman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:38:53 pm »

Thanks for the responses, a lot of good information provided via links as well. I am looking at them all now.

I am currently in Southeast MA, bordering on RI, so it is a good 2-3 hour drive to NH. I would certainly have to plan any type of event well in advance, but sincerely appreciate the invites and will consider coming in the near future.

The field I am in at the moment is the field of job finding. I was in construction(sand and gravel, specifically) for about 10 years, and then was in the high tech manufacturing field for about 4. Unfortunately my company downsized, which factors into my decision heavily, as jobs in this area are scarce. My fiance has a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice but has yet to land a job in the field since graduating in 09, and has done mainly retail.

My average income before the layoff was about 30k$ annually. I live on signifigantly less now(under 15k$ in the last year), but I am optimistic that I will find a job again, sooner than later. Negativity breeds negative outcomes, so I am positive.

I have no formal college education, but have worked with computers since i was a small child, as well as manual labor(my father worked in sand and gravel for 35 years, and I worked for him. Hardest working man i ever met, and as such a great role model in my opinion.)

If there are any resources on finding jobs in NH, I would gladly dig right in. Not working is much harder for me than back breaking physical labor.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:42:47 pm by thadarksandman »

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »

I was in construction(sand and gravel, specifically) for about 10 years...

Good bit of that around.  Not sure how many folks are hiring but, for example, there are at laest two sand/gravel quarries in Grafton, alone, plus at least one in Danbury (all are right on Rt 4).

Been meaning to ask you about the low crime. Why is that? Could never wrap my head around why a state just has low crime for some reason.

When it comes to violent crime, it might have something to do with the fact that NH has the least-restrictive gun laws in the entire Western world, and one of the highest per-capita rates of firearm ownership, as well (1.4 firearms per person, last I checked).
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:03:48 pm »

My wife and I moved to New Hampshire from California. I was unemployed in California for three years prior to our move. My wife is a nurse and was underemployed. I found a job within a couple of weeks of moving to New Hampshire, which led to a better job. We started off in Manchester because of the greater job opportunities. We didn't like it there, but it allowed the two of us to find quick and easy work while my wife scouted for a full-time nursing position. She finally did after six months. We moved to North Country for her new job and absolutely love it up here. I landed a new job within two days of arriving. Then I ended up meeting my future employer at Porcfest.

Moral of the story, we are doing way better now in New Hampshire than we ever were, or could possibly be, in California. Make the move even if you don't have a job lined up. Get a job doing anything just to get your foot in the door and set up with a New Hampshire mailing address, phone number, etc.

You'll be glad you did.

thadarksandman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »

Good bit of that around.  Not sure how many folks are hiring but, for example, there are at laest two sand/gravel quarries in Grafton, alone, plus at least one in Danbury (all are right on Rt 4).

You know, I actually should have known that, and might even have some contacts there, so thank you for pointing that out.

As to this ambitious ant person, I may be new here, but I respectfully ask that if you have nothing positive to add here you withdraw from the discussion. I mean, even negatives or criticisms would be welcome, but just disagreement for the sake of it is counterproductive.

thadarksandman

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

My wife and I moved to New Hampshire from California. I was unemployed in California for three years prior to our move. My wife is a nurse and was underemployed. I found a job within a couple of weeks of moving to New Hampshire, which led to a better job. We started off in Manchester because of the greater job opportunities. We didn't like it there, but it allowed the two of us to find quick and easy work while my wife scouted for a full-time nursing position. She finally did after six months. We moved to North Country for her new job and absolutely love it up here. I landed a new job within two days of arriving. Then I ended up meeting my future employer at Porcfest.

Moral of the story, we are doing way better now in New Hampshire than we ever were, or could possibly be, in California. Make the move even if you don't have a job lined up. Get a job doing anything just to get your foot in the door and set up with a New Hampshire mailing address, phone number, etc.

You'll be glad you did.

Thank you for sharing. I will be sure to send this post to my fiance, who was more hung up on the employment issue than anything else. I know that whether in construction or tech, I will find a job. Hopefully your story lets her see a more positive side of the discussion.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:13:09 pm »

The field I am in at the moment is the field of job finding. I was in construction(sand and gravel, specifically) for about 10 years, and then was in the high tech manufacturing field for about 4. Unfortunately my company downsized, which factors into my decision heavily, as jobs in this area are scarce. My fiance has a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice but has yet to land a job in the field since graduating in 09, and has done mainly retail.

I am quite unconnected with the industry but there seems to be many construction jobs on indeed http://www.indeed.com/q-construction-l-NH-jobs.html and the growth wave occurring in the area is bringing lots of new construction. On the manufacturing side the North end of MA and South of NH are perfect for this, there are two just in the office park I work in AspenTech and

I have no formal college education, but have worked with computers since i was a small child, as well as manual labor(my father worked in sand and gravel for 35 years, and I worked for him. Hardest working man i ever met, and as such a great role model in my opinion.)

If you have marketable skills (or indeed an interest in developing marketable skills) leveraging your IT knowledge might be very useful indeed. There are three of us just in Nashua who work in the field without any degree at all, if you have the aptitude its a very easy field to break in to.

If you are interested in starting your own business then this is also a great idea. NH has a growing start-up culture with incubators in Manchester, Portsmouth and one coming to Nashua later this year. There are a couple of NH specific VC's and funds too so financing is entirely possible.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 09:35:45 pm »

You know, I actually should have known that, and might even have some contacts there, so thank you for pointing that out.

It ain't called "the Granite State" for nothing... :D

As to this ambitious ant person, I may be new here, but I respectfully ask that if you have nothing positive to add here you withdraw from the discussion. I mean, even negatives or criticisms would be welcome, but just disagreement for the sake of it is counterproductive.

Yeah, there are always a few nuts who post nonsense, intentionally trying to sabotage the work we're doing.  Most are anti-freedom fanatics.  A few are actual libertarian-types from other areas who are ridiculously upset that they've spent their lives accomplishing nothing, and the FSP has had such massive success in a few years (and before it's even officially started - the successes are due to a few folks who decided to move early).

Just ask any questions you may have, and ignore the occasional noise if it gets too bothersome.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:07:23 am »

So anyways, back to the OP - I'm close enough to you (my parents live in the very Northeastern corner of CT) that I can meet up with ya. I also have a buddy living in northern RI right now that will be moving up to NH with me as part of the FSP. Maybe you, him and I can grab a beer together? *Shrug* Anyways, I'd love to give you my personal account and experience of / with the FSP. It's amazing, can't wait to be living in NH instead of just driving up every other week.. lol

Anyways, PM me if interested.
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:12 am »

Sorry everyone. I split the thread to remove the off topic stuff. It might make the thread a little confusing. My bad.

Anyway. Welcome to the FSP Forum. It looks like several people are giving you pretty good feedback :)

thadarksandman

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 01:41:31 am »

Sorry everyone. I split the thread to remove the off topic stuff. It might make the thread a little confusing. My bad.

Anyway. Welcome to the FSP Forum. It looks like several people are giving you pretty good feedback :)

VERY much appreciated, and thank you and everyone else for the warm welcome.

Lot's of helpful information and positive vibes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything