Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NY Family Moving ASAP  (Read 11420 times)

Aaron Roberts

NY Family Moving ASAP
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »

Hi All!

I'll try to keep this short but I have the tendency to ramble in pursuit of completeness :).

My Wife, 12 and 14 yr old sons, our small dog and I are moving to NH in the next few months from Rochester, NY.  We have been hanging on for the last few years, but the economy and employment situations aren't going to get any better, our kids school isn't the one we picked out when we bought our house 12 years ago, and the new gun law is the big ol fat cherry on the cupcake!   My Wife beat ovarian cancer last year, and it was kind of a wake up call for us, that the life we were living was not what we wanted for our family.   I'm originally a Maine native, my parents are still there and my Grandparents are in Natick MA, so naturally when we decided to move we started in the northeast.  I came across the FSP site, and the rest is history.

I'll be visiting central / southern NH in the next week to establish residency (I need to rent a room as home base for my employment search and my official NH address - Please let me know if you have something available) obtain a drivers license, and register my vehicles (NY is suspending my registrations on 2/1 because of a brief liability insurance lapse, another cherry on top! so I figured I'd just take care of that now).

Step 1 - Find Employment:  I have an education in Electrical Engineering, 10 years experience in Quality and Reliability Engineering in various medical and electronics industries, and since the demise of the major corporations in Rochester NY (Kodak, Xerox, etc.) I've been working for myself as a home improvement contractor.  I'm firing off job applications as we speak.  If anyone knows of any opportunities that fit my skills please let me know!  I plan to move ahead of my family and begin working and return to Rochester on weekends.  we will rent out our current house until an appropriate purchase offer is received.

Step 2 - Select a school district within a reasonable driving distance to work:  Any info on school districts - whats good, whats bad would be much appreciated.  I've researched extensively on rankings but I'm more looking for anecdotal data.

Step 3 - Find a house to rent in the selected school district:  We are ideally looking for a detached single family house 3/4 bedrooms in a private location 10-30 minutes from shopping and no more than 1hr from my work.  We have a fifth wheel camper and a boat that need to be stored, but rental storage could work for a while.  I realize we may not get this off the bat, but this is the ideal.   With my experience as a contractor, I am capable of all maintenance and repair, hopefully that will help.

Step 4 - My Wife needs a job.  She has experience as an administrative assistant in the childcare industry, and as a teacher aide or health aide in the school system.

Step 5 - MOVE the family!

If anyone sees anything in my plan that doesn't make sense, or is based on inaccurate assumptions, please let me know.  I don't know any of you, but in my few days of reading through the site I already feel welcome.  I hope to be a helpful part of this movement, and I look forward to meeting you!

Aaron
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:37:26 pm by Aaron Roberts »

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: NY Family Moving ASAP
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:24:40 pm »

Welcome!  :)

That sounds like a well thought out plan to me. In general, the job market in New Hampshire is quite good (compared to the rest of the country). If you haven't already, check out our New Hampshire Jobs page for some resources for finding jobs, and if you use Facebook, join our FSP Job Alert group and post an intro there.

For housing, two good Facebook groups are FSP Housing Search and Porcupine Housing - Manchester. If those don't yield what you are looking for, I have personally had good luck on Craigslist, especially by posting a "Housing Wanted" ad.

If you are able to, I highly recommend attending the Free State Project's New Hampshire Liberty Forum event next month (Feb 21-24). It is a great chance to meet people, and there will be panel(s) on jobs that you may find very helpful.

best of luck - hope to see you in NH soon!
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:51 am »

I'll be visiting central / southern NH in the next week to establish residency (I need to rent a room as home base for my employment search and my official NH address - Please let me know if you have something available) obtain a drivers license, and register my vehicles (NY is suspending my registrations on 2/1 because of a brief liability insurance lapse, another cherry on top! so I figured I'd just take care of that now).

Just a quick tip, to establish NH residency you need to prove you are resident in a particular town. When you do your room hunting make sure the owner is willing to write you a letter stating you are residing in that building as you need some form of proof. http://porcmanor.com/ has a few rooms available.

Also at this step switch your phone to a 603 area code (this is generally free), its much easier to find work with a local area code.

Find Employment:  I have an education in Electrical Engineering, 10 years experience in Quality and Reliability Engineering in various medical and electronics industries, and since the demise of the major corporations in Rochester NY (Kodak, Xerox, etc.) I've been working for myself as a home improvement contractor.  I'm firing off job applications as we speak.  If anyone knows of any opportunities that fit my skills please let me know!

I don't think you should have problem finding work, there is a thriving tech industry so also a thriving electrical engineering industry about. The FSP groups have already been mentioned but check out indeed.com too.

Select a school district within a reasonable driving distance to work:  Any info on school districts - whats good, whats bad would be much appreciated.  I've researched extensively on rankings but I'm more looking for anecdotal data.

Hollis Brookline and Bedford are the best high schools in the state by far but both are very expensive districts to live in. The thing to keep in mind is that as NH schools are so high performing anyway (3rd in the country) even an average school is likely to be a step up, as long as you stay out of the city districts (or if in cities use a charter school) you will almost certainly get a relatively high performing school. Also don't rule out private schools, with the new voucher program private schools are even more affordable. Get in touch with http://networkforeducation.org/ for more information and to see if you qualify.

Step 3 - Find a house to rent in the selected school district:  We are ideally looking for a detached single family house 3/4 bedrooms in a private location 10-30 minutes from shopping and no more than 1hr from my work.  We have a fifth wheel camper and a boat that need to be stored, but rental storage could work for a while.  I realize we may not get this off the bat, but this is the ideal.   With my experience as a contractor, I am capable of all maintenance and repair, hopefully that will help.

If you contain yourself to the South East of the state it doesn't really matter where you land as everywhere meets those requirements. It might be worth touching base with Mark Warden regarding your housing needs http://porcupinerealestate.com/ as he might have some suggestions.

Step 4 - My Wife needs a job.  She has experience as an administrative assistant in the childcare industry, and as a teacher aide or health aide in the school system.

I wouldn't imagine this would be a problem.

Step 5 - MOVE the family!

Don't forget to set up a moving party for when you move in, you will end up with a dozen people to help you move furniture in and get you situated quickly. The list of local groups can be found https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204983906/doc/10150550837878907/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:54:36 am by greap »

Aaron Roberts

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:06 pm »

All very good info, thank you SO much!   It sure beats flying blind!

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:25 pm »

Welcome! :-) It's especially good to hear you're moving from statist NY... I'll be moving soon from statist CT. ;-)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:17:00 pm »

I think I might know someone who could give you a hand with a temporary room...and even if they can't, finding a room to rent on a temporary basis shouldn't be hard at all. In general your plan looks really solid, having a NH address and ph # will really speed things up for you compared to other movers who don't do that.

Also as a side note, some good news is you can generally expect milder winters in southern NH (which is probably where you'll end up for work) than Rochester!! No lake effect. :)

graham

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:14 pm »

I have an unfurnished room available in Manchester right now, and am aware of at least two others.

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 06:12:22 pm »

Ok, the person I had in mind won't work out, just FYI. Good thing Graham has your back!

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:37 am »

That's great!  Can't wait to meet you and the family.  Don't forget to update your address after you move so you can tick the counter.  E-mail Moved@FreeStateProject.org to do so.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:33:21 pm »

Greetings from Seneca Falls, NY.

See you there when I escape, too. 

Indeed.com is awesome to find NH Jobs:    http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=electrical+engineer&l=NH

Also, State Jobs with benefits:                   http://admin.state.nh.us/hr/employmentlisting.html

The gun situation has done it for me too. Cuomo is a raging vaginal infection.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

Sam Adams

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:09:47 pm »

CT committees met today on gun control[not a pie plate either], Looks like registration for everything or a class D felony, no grandfathering. Permit and license to buy rifles, ammo limited. 10 rounds mags or over must be turned in, pistol or rifle. Maybe 1 year grace period for registration? Reapply for registration and fees for every gun every 2 years. Assault weapon definition to exceed CA strict rules. No Internet ammo deliveries. No bullet proof vest?? etc.. DHS is bidding 7000 AR-15 select fire, with 30 round mags? Restrictions also involve liab. ins for gun-owners, and locking devices.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:15 pm »

CT committees met today on gun control[not a pie plate either], Looks like registration for everything or a class D felony, no grandfathering. Permit and license to buy rifles, ammo limited. 10 rounds mags or over must be turned in, pistol or rifle. Maybe 1 year grace period for registration? Reapply for registration and fees for every gun every 2 years. Assault weapon definition to exceed CA strict rules. No Internet ammo deliveries. No bullet proof vest?? etc.. DHS is bidding 7000 AR-15 select fire, with 30 round mags? Restrictions also involve liab. ins for gun-owners, and locking devices.

Ugh I hope those CT laws don't pass before I leave...
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:57:49 pm »

Folks in Rochester, a free stater that will be speaking at the 2013 Liberty Forum is passing through Rochester on his way to the 2013 Liberty Forum. He is a co-founder of Cop Block and really understands liberty. If you want to meet up with him while he is in Rochester on or about Monday, February 18th, go to the website http://www.copblock.org/tour/ and check out the calendar. Here is the Facebook event but all of the details aren't set yet. https://www.facebook.com/events/317049035073316/

Sam Adams

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »

[/quote]                  CT committees met today on gun control[not a pie plate either], Looks like registration for everything or a class D felony, no grandfathering. Permit and license to buy rifles, ammo limited. 10 rounds mags or over must be turned in, pistol or rifle. Maybe 1 year grace period for registration? Reapply for registration and fees for every gun every 2 years. Assault weapon definition to exceed CA strict rules. No Internet ammo deliveries. No bullet proof vest?? etc.. DHS is bidding 7000 AR-15 select fire, with 30 round mags? Restrictions also involve liab. ins for gun-owners, and locking devices.
[/quote]

Ugh I hope those CT laws don't pass before I leave...
[/quote]                                      I,m in the boat as you are. I found a nice place which is convenient to everything and everywhere, But its right on rt 10. That wasn't my plan, I was looking for privacy.

Aaron Roberts

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:02:13 am »

The groundwork is laid, thanks to Graham, his roommates, and all of the other very kind and  helpful people I met along the way.  I have a NH residence and driver's license, and both of our vehicles are registered.  All of this "official business" took me less than 2 hours, including driving!  This would have been a full day commitment in Rochester NY.

Continuing my job search...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything