Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: business intelligence career  (Read 6459 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
business intelligence career
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:28:48 pm »

As many of you know, I am likely leaving academia this summer in order to move to New Hampshire. One of the careers I am investigating is business intelligence, conducting statistical analysis on large business databases. From looking at indeed.com, I know that there are a few jobs in this field in NH and Mass. I have strengths in statistics and probability theory, and I am an advanced user of Stata, R, and SPSS. I understand the theory behind data mining.

I would be interested in hearing from others in this field what I need to do to qualify myself for jobs. So far it looks as if the path forward involves learning SQL querying (& getting certified), then getting experience with BI software like SSAS. How to do the latter without a job in the field is unclear, but all of the positions I've seen advertised require job-related experience.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re: business intelligence career
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:32 pm »

Jason thanks so much for making this apparent sacrifice, to be with us.  I always felt it was unfair when folks attacked you for not being here yet; with academia you are in a career that is harder to relocate with...especially being a freedom activist.  I could move quickly because I knew I'd probably have a job waiting for me in Mass.  In your shoes I would not have moved quickly... sorry I didn't do more to defend you on that score.  Also I think it was kind of neat that the torch passed from the founder to new leaders so quickly and that you were never able to be targeted as a center of our activity after 2003.  

That said it will be good to have you here...  like Russell Kanning and Mark Warden and Carla , you provide a pleasant and articulate PR face for our endeavors.  
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:57:07 pm »

I never let those criticisms bother me. I knew my primary responsibility was to my family. Additionally, I probably did more good for liberty and the FSP by staying in academia. For instance, Freedom in the 50 States will likely cease after this year's edition. But we have wanted to move to NH for a long time, and now we are likely to make it happen by any means necessary. Call it a selfish move. :)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »

You're the man Jason, I've never met you but I can't tell you how much the Mercatus index on Freedom in the 50 states meant to me convincing my wife and others about NH and the FSP, and the FSP in general... You're quite an impressive person. Can't wait to meet you someday! :-)

And, it's not really selfish, you're working toward a greater cause (as we all are)... and so it's totally justifiable 'selfishness'... ;-)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

LaurieMaddux

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:03 pm »

My husband is a math teacher and we are looking to relocate to NH also.  We have been searching School Spring for teaching jobs, but they are very few.  With his masters degree, I would think junior colleges would be a better option.  We are going to start cold calling HR departments on Monday.  Any advice ANYONE can give us would be accepted and appreciated.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:20:37 pm »

Thanks, CS! Always good to hear about the impact we've made with the Mercatus study. Anyway, if you are coming to the next PorcFest, I should certainly meet you there.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »

Thanks, CS! Always good to hear about the impact we've made with the Mercatus study. Anyway, if you are coming to the next PorcFest, I should certainly meet you there.

I won't miss it for the world. It'll be the month the wife and I make the move. We're already connected to Mark Warden now to help us find a place in the lakes region. We're excited about it. :-)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

tbj2102

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:35:53 pm »

Hi Jason,

Have you considered trying to carve out a career in public policy?  I'm envisioning something like a state version of Cato.  I graduated Columbia Law and have a background in Econ, and I would love to be a source of public policy advice for FSP politicians and candidates (or maybe even run myself one day).  In my short time as a member of the Oklahoma Bar, I've found little real opposition to sensible reform.  People just seem happy to have a young, bright lawyer who seems to care about bigger issues and generally want to shove as much responsibility on me as possible rather than the opposite.  It reminds me of that part of Atlas Shrugged where everybody is begging John Galt to be a dictator.

With that in mind, I would imagine I would find same thing in New Hampshire to a lesser extent.  It makes me wonder if many of the goals and visions of the FSP can be accomplished through detailed public policy advocacy and educational efforts.

--Bryce Jones, Esq.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »

I have thought about that path, but the main obstacle is fund-raising. There is already one market-oriented think-tank: the Josiah Bartlett Center for Public Policy. It has a small budget but does good work. Frankly, I would encourage people to contribute to their efforts. I don't see the need for me or anyone else to reinvent the wheel there.

However, there are other areas where new efforts could bear fruit. Instead of a new public policy think-tank, what about a new educational nonprofit? One that focused on social sciences and humanities? If I can find the time and some promising leads on funds, that is something I would like to pursue.

LiberatedFromCT

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 01:54:48 am »

Jason,

I actually work in the field.  You will definitely either want to get some SAS certs or focus on really knowing SPSS inside or out, don't try to do both as most places use either one or the other.  If you go with SAS, go for the Base and Advanced SAS certs to start:

http://support.sas.com/certify/index.html

Regarding R, that's more for computational stuff i.e. option pricing / Monte Carlo, etc.  I'd also suggest you familiarize yourself with basic knowledge of at least one DBMS i.e. MySQL or SQL Server or Oracle.

Might be a little initial investment outlay but definitely should open some doors for you.  Good luck!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 01:42:13 pm »

Thanks, EIC! From what I've been able to gather, the back-end SQL stuff isn't critical for someone doing front-end data analysis, which is a bit of a relief, though it may be something I want to do eventually to make my skill set more flexible.

LiberatedFromCT

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:23:33 am »

Yeah within SAS there's actually the ability to run SQL queries - it allows for some more advanced queries to be used as opposed to the data step which can be cumbersome.  If you're mainly doing statistics though, you probably will not be focused as much on the data as you will in creating regular reports, ad hoc reports, etc.  As long as you can manipulate the data as needed you'll be fine, SQL is not essential but is good to have. 

Hoping I can join you in NH, our governor is going to probably announce his gun control package this week and he holds all the players in both the House and Senate so I'm kinda wanting to bail quickly.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:31:25 pm »

Good move, Jason. I wish you the best and hope to join you some day.
Tu ne cede malis.

jeffryfisher

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:31 pm »

If you find a front-end BI post, then please contact me if/when your employer needs a software guy. I'm no business or marketing expert, but I can talk to such folks, and then I do all manner of database design, SQL queries and optimization, data warehousing and (of course) O-O app design and coding to automate their analyses.

www.linkedin.com/in/jeffryfisher/

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »

Cool, will keep you in mind if that ever happens. I got a 1-year teaching post that will bring me to NH, but after that, who knows?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything