Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "walking town" with tech jobs?  (Read 4005 times)

kurtis

"walking town" with tech jobs?
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »

Hey,

I'm curious if there's any cities or towns in New Hampshire that might fit what I'm looking for?

I'd like to move to a city or town where you can get by day to day with walking and not requiring a car for the basics. The schools have to be good and safe (not a huge hub for drugs or kids skipping). There should be a decent tech industry since that's my professional field. A decent night life plus kid friendly activities or places would be a great bonus. Also, decent housing prices (unlike Portsmouth) is a must.

Its just me and my little boy so I'm hoping to find a great place to try out if I can land a job and make the move.

I'm not familiar with N.H. so I figured I'd ask you guys/girls to see if there's any cities that might fit the bill. Thanks!

Edit: looking for a low crime rate as well :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:28:09 pm by kurtis »

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
Re: "walking town" with tech jobs?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:30:15 pm »

Hmmm, in N.H. it might be difficult to find a higher level job like what you describe that you could get to without a car...

Maybe work in Boston and live close to one of the commuter buses people have linked to in other discussions? (Too lazy to find the link right now, but there's a bus that goes from Nashua/Manch/Portsmouth (or one of these combinations) to Boston and back and it's got a flat monthly cost... You could probably try to find a spot that you'd be able to walk from home to the bus pickup/drop off and whatnot.
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »

Hey,

I'm curious if there's any cities or towns in New Hampshire that might fit what I'm looking for?

I'd like to move to a city or town where you can get by day to day with walking and not requiring a car for the basics. The schools have to be good and safe (not a huge hub for drugs or kids skipping). There should be a decent tech industry since that's my professional field. A decent night life plus kid friendly activities or places would be a great bonus. Also, decent housing prices (unlike Portsmouth) is a must.

Its just me and my little boy so I'm hoping to find a great place to try out if I can land a job and make the move.

I'm not familiar with N.H. so I figured I'd ask you guys/girls to see if there's any cities that might fit the bill. Thanks!

Edit: looking for a low crime rate as well :)

My guess is no. However, if you lived in 1 of the 3 communities in NH on the Amtrak line from ME to MA, you could live in such a town (all 3 towns are walking towns) and work in Boston. Similarly, you could live in Concord, Nashua and several other towns with daily commuter buses to Boston and experience that, as long as you were willing to work in Boston.

People in NH tend to have a lot of money (compared to everywhere else in the US) and tend to have a car. It is highly recommended if you want to work at a high paying job, unless you are willing to take a bus or train to Boston.

Edit: Maybe in parts of Lebanon, Dover or Portsmouth. Also, maybe it parts of Manchester or Nashua if you sent your kids to private school, a charted school or homeschooled.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:48:44 pm by LoveAndPeace »

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:31:57 pm »

I'd like to move to a city or town where you can get by day to day with walking and not requiring a car for the basics.

Nashua has a fairly good bus system in place (as does Manchester and parts of Seacoast) and has the bulk of the tech jobs in the state. A number of us live here which is right next to a supermarket, butcher, fast food (Panera, Chipotle, Starbucks), Bank of America, Walgreen's and a number of other stores. It is also about 15 minutes walk away from Nashua Technology Park which houses companies like Intel, Skillsoft & Dell with Oracle a further 5 minutes away. I live in the complex and work in the tech park and walk in the summer, takes me about 20 minutes even living in the north side of the complex.

Another option is the already discussed commuter buses which give you access to Boston http://www.bostonexpressbus.com/.

The schools have to be good and safe (not a huge hub for drugs or kids skipping).

NH ranks near the top in all rankings (between 3rd and 9th depending on which you use). The bad news is that the city districts generally rank low within the state and the good districts you con't live in without a car to get about. Private school may be more affordable then you think though, you didn't mention how old your son is but this school is up to 8th grade and consistently ranks as one of the better schools in the state, its very close to the apartment complex I already linked to and it costs $10,500 a year.

Come for a visit for http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum and check out the state.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:33:48 pm by greap »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »

Any link to the ranking?

kurtis

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:25:09 am »

Thanks a lot for all of the good information! I should have specified; I can drive, haha. I really don't mind to drive. I was just hoping there might be a very walk-able city similar to Boulder, Colorado or San Francisco and still provided excellent opportunities in the tech. industry.

I'm a single father so I'd prefer to not be so far from his school while working. Especially if I did depend upon some sort of public transit. Hopefully that's understandable :)

I saw a photo (on Facebook) of Portsmouth and it looks like a very beautiful city; possibly similar to what I'm looking for. After some quick research, it turns out the cost of living is substantial and I'm not sure if the career opportunities there pay accordingly. It wasn't mentioned in this thread so I'm assuming the people there are pretty dependent upon driving for their every day needs as well.

From the sounds of it, Nashua might be worth checking out. Especially with the job opportunities! Thank you very much greap for the link to the apartments and the quick run-down on local companies.

(Off-topic) Now, I've asked my son's mother about moving out of state and she's okay with Colorado or California because her boyfriend wants to move there. I just have to try and convince her to let me move to New Hampshire instead ;) California isn't my ideal state and Colorado is starting to look worse the more I read about it.

davidm42

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:49:58 am »

Ugh... I am in California and I am looking to get the hell out. I could not in good conscience tell anyone to move to California at this time. This state is a sinking ship. We have 25% to 35% of all people receiving some type of government assisted living in the U.S. whether it be food stamps, welfare, unemployment, social security, disability, etc... There is a bill in the works to ban all "assault rifles" outright with no exceptions. There are now city codes in San Diego that authorize the arrest of citizens watering their lawns or washing their cars if the "waste water" contains "pollutants" (a.k.a dog feces) and it goes down the street drains. You can get up to 5 or 10 years in prison for that. California also has the most cities that are going bankrupt as far as I know. There are much better states than California to move to.

lildog

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:17:01 am »

You've already ruled out Portsmouth but that would have been my first suggestion.

Manchester is another city with good high paying IT jobs that you can walk to just about anything but their school district isn't the best.

Quite a few towns that are larger but if you bicycle you can get around quite well.  Merrimack has BAE, Budweiser, Brookstone Corp, and several other larger employers, has a very good school district, and if you bike you can get to everything you need.  Not much of a night life though unless you like sitting out looking at the stars.  It's right in the middle between Manchester and Nashua though so its a short drive to the two bigger cities where all the action takes place after sunset.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything