Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $100K Jobs That Nobody Wants  (Read 11546 times)

Rich T.

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free in NH!
    • NH Liberty Alliance

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: $100K Jobs That Nobody Wants
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:56:28 am »

Truck driver and auto mechanic?  Neither of these jobs pays well even if you line one up.  Even the technicians at BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes don't make half this.  Most of the comments from the page call Yahoo's bluff.

The reality of this economy is this:  You must provide a service that people know that they cannot do themselves at all.  You must be better known and so reliable that people leave your competitors for your business.

I know many people in this area who actually work a convenience store or retail job just to network with as many people as they can because they make their real money on their roofing or home maintenance job.  They don't care much about the $8-10/hour job on the side.  They make 2-3 times that from the customers they line up for their landscaping or plowing business.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Winston Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:21:34 am »

I was going to say, I was a truck driver from 2007-2010, and worked my first year and a half at the company featured in the video, Werner Enterprises(one of the worst reputations in the business, by the way).  If you had a GREAT year you might bring home $30,000, and thats after spending a month at a time on the road, and spending a big chunk of it buying fast food and other expenses most people don't have.  Sure theres a few stories of drivers earning a lot of money, but they are in niches few and far between.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »

Everywhere I go in NH, I hear ads on the radio advertising job openings for CNC machinists.

dontcontrolme

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:02:55 pm »

i am a truck driver. i make between $20,000 to $30,000 per year and i have 25 years experience.some owner operators make $100,000 before taxes and before expenses like fuel, insurance, food.the owner operators i know take home about $25,000 per year after expenses.it costs me $300 + per week to live on the road and travel as a company driver.there is zero work life balance as a truck driver and it is almost all work.my employers even call me when i am supposed to be on time off telling me i need to come back to work early. when i die my whole life will have been spent working.my diet is horrible because i am stuck eating fast food because my employer always has me in a rush.i miss every family graduation, wedding, reunion.i usually get home later than i ask to be, sometimes by days or weeks, and have to leave early which has made me miss doctor appointments and my employer cared less.i have to stay away from home for 4 weeks to get 4 days off at home.i have been looking for local driving jobs for years but they are in such demand i can never find one unless it pays $9 per hour.i get paid per mile but i do not get paid to drive home which is sometimes 500 miles.i dont get paid for miles on some trips either since they pay from zip code to zip code.drivers are charged for tow bills when the employer sends the driver to a muddy area to load, and drivers are charged for some other things that just happen on the road.i am on call 24 hours per day.my sleep suffers.i do not have regular access to a restroom.my health has gotten bad but i have no sick days.my employer looks down on drivers and has even kept drivers away from christmas parties so the office people didnt have to be around the drivers.people drive awful around me and i have a very high stress job.there is no balance in my life.i dont have time to do house maintenance and when i go home i am so tired all i do is sleep and then it is time to go back on the road.i am always tired from traveling.people looked disgusted when you tell them you are a truck driver like how they look at homeless people that have not showered in a month and are asking them for a dollar.truck drivers die younger than the average population and there are specific studies about the health risks of sitting for 11 hours per day but the law makes us sit 11 hours per day.the government has so many regulations that there is no freedom in trucking anymore but without the regulations some employers are even more abusive to drivers.the turn over in the trucking industry is very high.that should tell people something.

if i could find a job doing something else or if somebody would teach me and train me and pay me a wage i can live on i would stop driving a truck tomorrow.nobody will pay me more than low wages.i cant help where i went to school or that my people were poor.

Bob D.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:54:31 am »

I thought it was going to be a Job working for the NSA?

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:21:42 am »

I thought it was going to be a Job working for the NSA?

You forget, we all work for the NSA for free ;)
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:33:58 pm »

I agree that when you start out in trucking $30,000/year would be normal and as this poor man has said most companies drive you crazy and keep you a wage slave.

My wife and I got loose of the "job" after 6 months and after 1 year are enjoying the trucking version of the good life now. We have to arrange our lives a certain way but can make some decent money. :)

I also recommend any drivers out there to consider checking out NH and driving regionally in New England. It can pay well.
At the Liberty Forum or Porcfest speak to my friend Bill Campbell who delivers organic produce. :)

Thanks for the story Rich it is food for thought.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Alex Libman

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »

I bet this forum's full of people who've walked away from a six-figure job so that they could have more time for education, self-improvement, and online rants...  and to pay less money to the gov't thugs...  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up