Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software and Database Developer Available  (Read 5360 times)

Boykin

• eBusiness Card
Software and Database Developer Available
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:29:28 am »

I'm looking for a good hacker-house or other private software shop or hactivist group where I can earn some food and rent for my son and I.

Or I'm looking for someone with a house who would like to start a Developer Dorm or Hacktivist House where software contributions to local organizations can fund our expenses, where internships and (*free) on-the-job training for software development can happen, and where birds of a feather can collect and contribute.

I'm a .Net/Java/OpenSource developer.  Been coding for 10 years.  I'm 27.  My son is 1.  We live in Dallas for now...

In 5 years I will save up enough money to just move up there and do this all myself.

For now, I'm excited and looking for business partnership.

wil.boykin@gmail.com

Boykin

• eBusiness Card
Re: Software and Database Developer Available
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackerspace

Defined, for those cautious to ambiguous tastes.

kurtis

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:45 pm »

Hey,

I hope you find what you're looking for. I've never heard of the term or idea of a Hactivist House but if you can make a living off of that, more power to you!

From what I've seen and researched; NH is quite a bit more expensive than where I live and even Houston (the only part of Texas I'm accustomed to). I don't know if it's just you and your son moving (that's actually my plans, as a single father, as well) but please consider the cost of Child Care and Health Care. It's *not* cheap. Unless you have someone to help with your child while working. In my, personal, experience it became significantly more difficult to work when my child turned 2.

I don't want to persuade you away from NH; there's a lot of benefits on making the move from what I've heard. I just know kids can be very, very expensive and making the move without a sound source of income and a child to support is a tough thing to do.

Good luck!

allen86

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:41:27 am »

Not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind... But you might meet some like minded people here:

http://makeitlabs.com/

Seems like a mix of engineering/technology. Its in Nashua.

Don't know anything else about it besides what I saw on the internet... I am thinking that I will check it out when I move to NH.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »

If you join the Nashua Liberty group there are a bunch of people who are members. https://www.facebook.com/groups/NashuaLibertySocial/

There are also hacker spaces elsewhere in the state, there are a couple in Manchester and some along seacoast too.

anything