Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Co-housing  (Read 11470 times)

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
Re:Co-housing
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2003, 10:00:38 am »

Yeah, those Earthship things are pretty cool.  I spent a lot of time on their web site, going over all their plumbing claims and whatnot - it seems pretty cool.

However, they make a lot of claims about using tires in the walls.  They seemed nervous, as they continually asserted that tires was safe despite what people have been hearing.  Whoa.  Might want to check into that.  Critics said that tire rot is a problem, and it might be toxic in Earthship walls.  Earthship counters with "we have no evidence of that ever happening in an earthship" (or something to that effect).  They say that tire rot is toxic in landfills, not in Earthships, for a reason.  Either way, an Earthship looks like an awesome way to attempt a sustainable environment.  No need to heat, city or well water, electricity outside of what is provided by the solar cells - it looks awesome.  Plus you can grow a garden indoors.  The Earthships look a little bit funky, but I think it has a "Star Wars" feel to it  ;D

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 04:45:39 pm »

Just thought I'd bring this thread up to the top with a new architecture idea:

http://www.rogerdean.com/architecture/index.htm

http://www.homeforlife.co.uk/

:D

Jon1203

• FSP Participant
    • GreenStarHomes
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2003, 03:28:36 pm »

I love this thread!

Personally, I'd love to live in an Earthship.

Also just wanted to say that rdeacon's post on co-ops/"investment properties" seems very wise to me.

Zoning restrictions usually hamper immensely any co-housing plans.  Maybe NH isn't as bad as most places?

"Greens" are your typical co-housing enthusiasts.  What typically hampers them the most in getting any co-housing plans to actually move forward is their desire to build consensus on every minute detail, while failing to tackle all the big-picture issues needed to actually make the project happen.  Libertarians would probably have similar problems (the herding stray cats metaphor comes to mind).  What would probably work best is an "if we build it, they will come" approach.  Getting 20 families all investing equally to come to a consensus is likely hopeless.  A much more realistic co-housing possibility would be for a few families with the financial means to act to agree upon a vision, just do it, and plan on renting out the additional space in the co-housing community.

Jon1203

• FSP Participant
    • GreenStarHomes
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2003, 03:55:31 pm »

Justin S.,

I just saw in a thread on homeschooling/private education options you suggested Cheshire County as being particularly good for an enterprising individual to look into co-housing.  Why Cheshire County?

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2003, 11:47:08 pm »

Justin S.,

I just saw in a thread on homeschooling/private education options you suggested Cheshire County as being particularly good for an enterprising individual to look into co-housing.  Why Cheshire County?

Because he just moved there.  ;)

Jon, good to see we have another person interested in the "homesteading" type of approach to the FSP. Hopefully soon we will create a critical mass of self-reliant types and those that want to "do" liberty rather than just chat about it (and endlessly debate about it) online.  8)

I posted a message over on the Housing forum that pretty much sums up my approach: Build or Buy? I say Build... and Create Communities

The Naked Porcupine

• Sometimes, you just have to set your quills aside!
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2004, 05:11:01 pm »

I love geodesic dome homes.

As one who is greatly interested in traditions such as gnosticism, kabbalism, alchemy, and other spiritual/magical "mystery" concepts, I find myself intrigued by the possibilities that a geodesic offers.  There's a lot of sacred geometry that can be found in a geodesic dome.  With some careful interior design, a geodesic can easily be turned into a form of mystical temple.

Also, you all might like to take a look at monolithic dome construction:

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/index.html

I particularly like the special features on these two homes:

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/young/index.html

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/kaslik/index.html

Enjoy!

Greg
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up