Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Social Studies Teacher OR Librarian  (Read 5508 times)

Richie

• Citizen of Communist Maryland
Social Studies Teacher OR Librarian
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

Hello Free Staters!

I just wanted to get the latest scoop on jobs in the education field.  In particular, teaching social studies.  What does the state require for certification?

My "alternative" would be becoming a full time librarian.

Note: I know these two jobs are considered statist by some people, and in some ways I agree.  A man's gotta make a living, though, and these things are my calling.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Social Studies Teacher OR Librarian
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »

Welcome!  :)

There was a similar discussion on Facebook recently on the topic of teaching certification in NH. Here is the link to the NH  certification requirements.

Another alternative would be to teach at a private school, where state certification is not required by NH law.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »

Note: I know these two jobs are considered statist by some people, and in some ways I agree.  A man's gotta make a living, though, and these things are my calling.

You could get a job at a private school, or private library...
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Jason Bolton

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:47 pm »

New Hampshire has the highest % enrollment in public education. If the State is not overstepping its bounds or exerting more power than given to it constitutionally, then having a "state" job isn't a bad thing.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 01:59:31 am »

I guess private colleges and schools would have private librarian jobs, not sure where else they would be. I was thinking of getting a library job too, for the experience. Not sure what would be involved in setting up a real private library, but surely the people who did that would need to know some things about taking care of books and creating usable catalogs, that sort of thing. I don't see a state job as a bad thing if you're learning something you can use to set up a private alternative someday (ONLY if the work doesn't involve duties that violate others' freedom). If I worked at a library, I would be getting paid out of tax money, but I wouldn't be actively taking away anyone's freedom as I might be ordered to do if I were in law enforcement, for instance.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:50:09 pm »

Many libraries have an endowment. So if the librarian is paid through the endowment that would be considered private, even if the library itself was public.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

I don't see a state job as a bad thing if you're learning something you can use to set up a private alternative someday (ONLY if the work doesn't involve duties that violate others' freedom). If I worked at a library, I would be getting paid out of tax money, but I wouldn't be actively taking away anyone's freedom as I might be ordered to do if I were in law enforcement, for instance.

It violates my freedom to not pay for that, if you take that job.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:11 am »

Yes, but if I don't take the job, you'll still have your freedom violated to pay someone else to do it. My point was, that you don't have any more freedom by me not taking the job than you would if I do. And I would not be doing anything to damage your freedom once in the job. It's not like if libertarians refuse to work in public libraries, they're going to close down or something.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:06:42 am »

Yes, but if I don't take the job, you'll still have your freedom violated to pay someone else to do it. My point was, that you don't have any more freedom by me not taking the job than you would if I do. And I would not be doing anything to damage your freedom once in the job. It's not like if libertarians refuse to work in public libraries, they're going to close down or something.

If the town budget is $X, which includes $5000 to pay for a librarian, and no one wants to take the job, then the budget next year will be $X-5000, and the property taxes in town will go down as a result.

They don't collect a fixed amount per year; they collect the amount necessary to supply the funds for the budget.  If the budget goes down, taxes go down.  Property taxes in NH are not like the sales taxes or income taxes that are used many places, where the government collects a fixed amount and then makes a budget to use up whatever they happened to collect.  The property tax rate is set each year to meet the requirements of that year's budget.

Pages: [1]   Go Up