Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Education-Opinions  (Read 10295 times)

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
Education-Opinions
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:25 pm »

Do you feel the current testing in the United States is a good barometer of intelligence?  Do you feel tests mostly test a person's memory?  Do you think hiring based on personality type and then providing on the job training is a good or bad idea?  Do you feel our next scientist, engineer, teacher, etc. may be becoming so discouraged in our current systems that they instead drop out of school and therefore never become an engineer, scientist, etc.?  Can a teacher or school environment be so awful that it discourages people from finishing school?

Can you name someone that is intelligent but did not do well in school, or dropped out of school?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:24:11 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Education-Opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

Can you name someone that is intelligent but did not do well in school, or dropped out of school?

Most truly-intelligent individuals do not perform well in public school settings.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:14 am »

Of course they do. They just have further outside mental pursuits.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:58 am »

Can you name someone that is intelligent but did not do well in school, or dropped out of I school?

Most truly-intelligent individuals do not perform well in public school settings.

I agree.  

I have heard that Einstein was not a great student.  I have also heard that the woman that is the top editor of a magazine and has a movie based on her did not graduate high school.  I also heard that Frank Lloyd Wright did not graduate college.  I have also heard the Virgin Atlantic guy didn't graduate high school.  I have heard Bill Gates and the Facebook guy did not graduate college.  

I don't know how accurate the above is, as it is only what I have heard.  

However, I find it interesting that so many without formal education are overlooked or immediately ruled out for jobs they would be ideal for simply because they do not have a very expensive piece of paper.  

It seems there are enough people without formal education, or that were not great students that have proven that it doesn't take a formal education to fulfill a calling.  It is sad some people don't get to fulfill their calling because they were turned away for not having a degree.

I also feel tests are not a true barometer of intelligence.  Some people may have dyslexia, so their test scores may not be great, yet they are brilliant people.  Others may feel too restrained by school.  Also, it seems tests are really testing how much a student remembers.....aren't they?  So, intelligence is determined by how good a person's memory is?

Anyway, just opinions, but wanted to hear feedback on the topic.    
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:17:39 am by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:04 am »

Gates, Zuckerberg, and Branson all attended private school. Branson didn't graduate... most likely because of dyslexia. Wright's mother was a public school teacher and administrator... he attended public school. Einstein attended public school in Europe. He was considered an unconventional student at the time. Rumors that he could not 'tie his shoes' using the single loop method are true; and spawned the later development of teaching the double loop method. The woman, I am unable to identify.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »

Here ya go......paragraph 3:

http://www.biography.com/people/anna-wintour-214147

Thought this might add to this discussion:

http://www.collegedropoutshalloffame.com/w.htm :)

One more thing to prove Einstein's brilliance.....the quote at this link:

http://www.collegedropoutshalloffame.com/e.htm

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:25:33 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »

You keep listing dropping out of college and prep school (in Einstein's case something a little different that what we have in the US), but none of these are public school in its official sense.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09:56 pm »

You keep listing dropping out of college and prep school (in Einstein's case something a little different that what we have in the US), but none of these are public school in its official sense.

None of the people at the link below, or the links above, dropped out of public high school?  They were all in private schools?  Did you look through the A-Z directory and check where each person that was listed as a high school drop out attended high school?

http://www.collegedropoutshalloffame.com/index.htm

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »

I didn't mean none of them... just we're mixing college drop-outs and private/prep school drop-outs into the group.
From that data, we could surmise that college and private/prep school are no more worthy than public.

rank420

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:10:35 am »

I do not think any instituted learning is needed whether public or private but glad that people still have the right to choose.

Now all I need is the ability to CHOOSE whether my kids need to go to elementary school or not without the government FORCING me.

California is NOT the place for me especially when it comes to my childrens education.
Pages: [1]   Go Up