Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liberty Oriented School Essays  (Read 10246 times)

zairabear

Liberty Oriented School Essays
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:39:41 pm »

I'm in an American Literature class this year in my online school and I've had to write more essays then any other class I've been in. Usually we have more then one prompt and I chose the ones more on the literature side and less on the American side because I don't want to speak of my real views and get a bad grade. This is a terrible fear of mine but as screwed up as it is, it totally happens.

For my final this year, I have to write a memoir, poem, article, or short story that "expresses or explains what being an American means to you and how America and its core values have influenced your life."

I've decided I'm not gonna lie and give the teacher what she wants. I'm going to be honest. Talk about how being an American means being a sheep and oppressed and trapped from true freedom while being told that it's exactly what we have.

Do you guys ever write these kind of papers to be graded with your honest, yet unpopular opinions, or do you submit the rainbows and butterflies they really want?

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
Re: Liberty Oriented School Essays
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:33:14 am »

That all depends on the teacher. However, I suggest you take a second thought about the topic. While this country leaves much to be desired in the way of freedom, there isn't much better anywhere else. I've lived outside of the US for more of my life than inside, and life is so much less free elsewhere. Saying that to you being an American is being a slave is like me saying that living in Phoenix is being cold all the time.

Keep that in mind when deciding whether to be all sweet and saccharine or depressing and jaded. If you're going to risk making the teacher mad, make sure it's something that you can really stand by, and have thoroughly thought through.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18:19 am »

For my final this year, I have to write a memoir, poem, article, or short story that "expresses or explains what being an American means to you and how America and its core values have influenced your life."

I've decided I'm not gonna lie and give the teacher what she wants. I'm going to be honest. Talk about how being an American means being a sheep and oppressed and trapped from true freedom while being told that it's exactly what we have.

Do you guys ever write these kind of papers to be graded with your honest, yet unpopular opinions, or do you submit the rainbows and butterflies they really want?

Going back years ago to when I was in school, I recall getting a writing prompt as part of their standardized testing which also had the option to write about some alternative idea of the student's choice.  So I took the opportunity to write about how stupid standardized testing was.  Needless to say, they were not happy, and we demanded that it be re-graded honestly, based upon its merit as writing, not their objection to the content.  To me, it was worth it, just to see them have to sputter along and do so, no matter how much they hated the idea.

Of course, that was high school, and I'd already developed a reputation by then, since I'd been refusing to do their foolish busywork since I realized that's what it was, in kindergarten.  If they expect they can cow you into obedience, rather than knowing they cannot, they may be more likely to fight you on it.

You could also go the "ninja" route and talk about how great the ideas were, upon which America was founded, and lament the failure to live up to them.  Talking about the great ideas that known "Founders" and the like had, is usually a safe bet.  You can talk about what America might have been like if those ideas were followed with greater fidelity, and let the condemnation of the current system be quietly demonstrated by the contrast, without having to actually say anything.

That all depends on the teacher. However, I suggest you take a second thought about the topic. While this country leaves much to be desired in the way of freedom, there isn't much better anywhere else. I've lived outside of the US for more of my life than inside, and life is so much less free elsewhere. Saying that to you being an American is being a slave is like me saying that living in Phoenix is being cold all the time.

Being Massuh's favored slave does not make one anything other than a slave.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

zairabear

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:09:07 pm »

Saying that to you being an American is being a slave is like me saying that living in Phoenix is being cold all the time.

Keep that in mind when deciding whether to be all sweet and saccharine or depressing and jaded. If you're going to risk making the teacher mad, make sure it's something that you can really stand by, and have thoroughly thought through.

I don't think that analogy is accurate. By saying being an American is being a slave is like saying living in Phoenix is being hot all the time.

I can be sweet in my paper and definitely stand by these beliefs. In my experience, if you talk to people they will admit they are forced to do things they don't want to, they just don't see why that's wrong, or think that it is worth what the government "gives" them.

zairabear

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »

You could also go the "ninja" route and talk about how great the ideas were, upon which America was founded, and lament the failure to live up to them.  Talking about the great ideas that known "Founders" and the like had, is usually a safe bet.  You can talk about what America might have been like if those ideas were followed with greater fidelity, and let the condemnation of the current system be quietly demonstrated by the contrast, without having to actually say anything.

That's a very good idea. Get my point across while staying professional and what not.

I've built a reputation for myself with my essays also. Simple ones about why Ron Paul should win the election to ones that definitely stretch, like why teens should smoke cigarettes.

TJames

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:03:31 am »

The American culture is special. Even if we didn't have the US government we would still have this rights based individualistic mindset that is so prevalent among Americans. Many other national cultures value group needs before individual rights and raise children to be codependent.

I love my country, but I fear my government.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything